Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

There's 2 minutes of my life I won't get back.

October 10, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

ThinkAgain: Hey, networks, fact-check the debates in real-time and put it in the crawl!
    @Sandi: "I choose not to watch GMA because of it's liberal leanings, and the hate speech and lies the democrats constantly spew."

Typical Repub: accusing others of your own bad behavior. Y'all are pathetic!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's called projection and the rethugs are experts in the field!

October 10, 2012 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  3. Robert

Romney is a liar! He can't be trusted as the most powerful leader in the free world, His character as a leader in America will create a moral decline for America and the world. Being a leader is serious business! His wife is not grace, a bad example for young girls. They are both worse than ex-Pres. Bush and Barbara!!!

October 10, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. jamesr1976

Ann Romney is a sweet and beautiful woman who is well loved by her husband and children and you can hear the joy and pride in her voice when she speaks of them too. She comes from a good family as does Mitt. She serves her church and her community well and will serve the American people too, as First Lady.

October 10, 2012 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. Stupid

This is an article about cooking and we are making judgement calls on her character. It is just stupid and ignorant.

October 10, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  6. Em

What did I just read...?

October 10, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. Craig RB

So Mitt didn't like the ads. Well, the truth hurts doesn't it?

October 10, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  8. petena

To Emily: You are so envious of Ann. You think voting for the wealthy makes you one like them.

October 10, 2012 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  9. imvotingforobama

Her maids cook for her.

October 10, 2012 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  10. Craig RB

...also, she's as phony as her husband.

October 10, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. Deb in MT

@Emily

"It is very tough living with a chronic illness, especially when you have a large family. So a maid/housekeeper is not such a privileged thing, some people don't have any choice. Just be thankful you can get out of bed every day."

I had 2 friends with MS, and they raised their families without housekeepers and maids. That wasn't a choice, but then, they were middle class, hard working women –with equally hard working husbands– and could barely afford their plethora of medications, let alone a full complement of servants AND a dancing horse! Even when bedridden, they had to take care of the kids (who in turn had to grow up faster than their peers).

A chronic illness is tough to be sure, but being able to delegate childcare, cooking and cleaning to the "help" is certain to ease Ann's burden. I doubt she's ever had to postpone refilling her prescriptions until payday, either.

Both my friends have long since passed away: without Ann's constant staff and access to the best medical care, their MS took them from the earth long before their times. They were real, down to earth women, and Queen Ann pales in comparison.

October 10, 2012 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Reggie from LA

Crybabies is right. FY. Yes, Fiscal Year. It's that time of year when we look at how things went over last year and project the next year, looking at taxes and such. Speaking of TAXES AND SUCH. No? We're not allowed to talk about taxes? We'll start gettin' all "whiney" and stuff? By the way, is Ms Romney whippin' up some cakes so we can beg for them and she can say "Let them eat cake!!"

October 10, 2012 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. MZROSE

Our First Lady Michelle Obama is Gorgeous, Classy, Intelligent and Very Humble and Mrs Romey can't touch her with a ten foot pole. She bring Youth, Hipness and Color to the White House. I love you Michelle and Barack. You got my Vote 2012.

October 10, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Pat

@Tim I'm sure Ann Romney would love to hear about the "relief from her MS" that you seem to think money can buy! You speak without any knowledge of the disease.
    @ Shannon You have the "let them eat cake" comment associated with the wrong person. Actually that's Michelle Obama!

October 10, 2012 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Anonymous

I was drawn into the article by the title, but the content lost me as a reader. It is a fluffy article with little meat and should not have been posted. I almost thought I was reading something from the Huffington Post.

October 10, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. Deb

She touts the benefits of hippotherapy but if her hubby takes office many won't get the therapy due to pre-existing conditions!

October 10, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. mary rogers

Ann Romney does not cook. Ever!

October 10, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Deb in MT

Having said what I said, I do wish Queen Ann a very long & happy life, preferably a life far removed from the stresses of becoming FLOTUS (stress is not good for people with MS).

October 10, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  19. Debbie

Is this the cookie, homey, baking wife test? Why didn't GMA ask Ann what her White House projects/initiatives would be? In today's times the First Lady is expected to take up a cause. Dancing horses is not going to cut it. What will Ann's projects/causes be? That would give us better insight into the woman as a person vs burning Welsh cakes.

October 10, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. tourpilot

Disappointed as I was with Obama, I was contemplating sitting this next election out. But the more I see of either Romney, the more I realize I just can't. We cannot allow the Romney's to take over. It would be an absolute disaster. Obama has his faults, but i cannot picture Mrs. Romney as First Lady. Good grief.

October 11, 2012 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  21. Valar Morghulis

Queen Ann we don't want what you're peddling. Take your husband and go home!

October 11, 2012 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  22. Thomas

@foralltheladies
    I'm surprised, honestly, at how many hateful comments are on this board directed towards this woman. So she grew up in a privileged lifestyle- so what? Can you honestly say that if you worked your tail off and made a boat load of money, that you WOULDN'T take care of your kids, just as her parents did for her? That you wouldn't send them to the best college your money could buy? That you wouldn't take care of their every need growing up, or help them start their own business later in life? Since when is being successful, and transferring YOUR money to YOUR family, something to be vilified? What else should her family do with their money that they earned (no matter when it was they earned it?) Fork it all over to the government so it can be dispersed in whatever negligible and useless amount it would be- just so they can be poor and your jealousy can be eased?

Come on, America. When did we stop TRYING? I'm a 29 year old successful, yet middle class woman in DC, who came from a very poor family in Maine. But you know what? I know that right now, and 20 years from now, I can say something better. I WANT something better for myself, and someday, when I have kids, I want to pass something better on to them. To get there, I'm going to work my tail off, save every penny I can, live every day as happily as possible and do as much for others as I can in the meantime. To get to where I am, I put myself through college working 3 jobs because my folks are as poor as church mice, and I've worked 2 jobs ever since to get ahead. I take pride in what I do, and set high goals for myself. Someday, if I work hard enough, I might be in the same tax bracket as Mrs. Romney . So someday, when my kids want to play certain sports or travel special places, when my kids get to go to a great college and DON'T have to work 3 jobs, or when they're adults and want to start a business and make their own way- is that going to make them terrible people? Is all my hard work for nothing? Does it make me "elitist" because I strive to better myself, my family, and my community? I don't think so, and it's a shame to see that so many people think it does. My consolation is knowing that in 20 years, I will have done right by myself and my family. Can you say the same?

---–

Yes I can say the same .

And if you vote for Romney , 20 years from now you will wish you didn't ,or you will be ashamed to admit you did.

Just like 80% that voted for GW Bush.

October 11, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  23. NameMary

I find comments to articles more revealing than actual articles and what I've read, more than anything concerning the Romneys, are scores of slams and snide remarks concerning their wealth. So they're rich. So what? Means HE knows business and the truth is, business isn't pretty. But business is what puts food on the table and a roof over your head. And if some people are better at it than others so they eat a little better and live in a better neighborhood, then more power to them.

October 11, 2012 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  24. Cathy

MS patients are supposed to keep active.Maybe if she jumped rope and did a little hula hoop it would detract from her senior citizen barbie doll image,If she can ride,she can skip..She is NO Michelle Obama!

October 11, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |