Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Borderless

Why is this in Political news? This is a fluff piece.

October 10, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  2. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

I wouldn't even feed my dog with her cake.

October 10, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. ritmocojo

Of course the Welch Cakes were going to burn. She wasn't able to bring her Mexican cooking lady on the show.

October 10, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Jack

Must take rocket science level talent to bake Welsh Cakes--and burn them, no less.

October 10, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Donna Baugh

I was disappointed in the interview with Mrs. Romney, GMA did not let her explain her Welch Cakes, (which I was excited to hear about) and they did not really show that they were that interested, I'm going to see how much time they give to Mrs. Obama, that will tell the tale. George you can do better than than.

October 10, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Chumlee

Who cares CNN

October 10, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  7. lefty avenger

47%...Let them eat Cake!

October 10, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Jenny Sills

She was great and handled herself with class!

October 10, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Thomas

CNN, At least give us the recipe for her famous Welsh cakes .

Having a 70.000 tax right off on horse therapy must be nice . I think Big Bird would agree !

October 10, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Cambob

Ann Romney might be the next First Lady.

... "let them eat Welsh Cake"

October 10, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. dabchick

Glad to hear Mitt the Twit's blood was boiling – as mine often does watching his ads that are frequently inaccurate or outright lies. As a former IRS employee who was required to produce 3 years of tax returns(& up to 7 years) for a lowly GS7 job, I want to see his tax returns. $75K for "Medical" equine therapy!!! People who have nothing to hide, hide nothing!

October 10, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Donkey Party

All that smoke and fire is God's way of telling her she's married to a serial liar, and it better stop, or he'll blow up Kolob.

October 10, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. What Did You Expect?

This from the guy who won the Republican nomination with some of the most scathing political commercials I have ever witnessed. Romney has commercials that call the President of the United States a Liar. Did he expect that those would not go answered?

Ann and Mitt sure seem to whine and complain a lot. They sure both seem to like playing the victim routine a lot also.

A whining president and first lady in America. Not going to happen.

October 10, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. Al-NY,NY

Sure Queen Ann..I'll just go out of my 6 floor walk-up, take the subway to the nearest stable and say "I need horse therapy...pronto"

October 10, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Dan

Mitt would do the same to the US Economy.

October 10, 2012 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Blinded by the republican lie

OMG...Too friggin funny..I guess they couldn't sample the cakes..Hahaha!!!

October 10, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. cm

Come on Cnn don't you have better things then this to report. first it's big bird, now raggedy ann.

October 10, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. John the Historian

She isa typical Republican women stuck in the 1950s and married to a mormon cult follower. I wonder how many husbands she will get on the mormon planet of kolob ?

October 10, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. Peggy Grace

Ann promoting horse therapy???? Really, I hope the goal was not to prove she is relatable. Most Americans can't afford a great dane much less a horse.

October 10, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. Sarah

The Republican Party is burning too. Burning with hypocrisy and incompetence and elitist aversion to the 47%.

October 10, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. Ready

I'd like to see more stories about the Benghazi cover up. Apparently the Mohamad video was a bogus cover story for the recent 9/11 attack on our embassy. Thanks CNN

October 10, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  22. policies not rhetoric

i can't help it-every time i see and hear her i just feel like she lives in some fantastical world
    where everything has been amply taken care of for her. I cannot relate to this woman.
    and i would dare to say a lot of other people can't relate to her either.
    Michelle is much more real for me-she had to work hard for her education–she had a career
    in her own right, and she just reflects my world a lot more than the romney house that i see.
    . . .nothing to do with the election–those are just my perceptions. I thought her speech at the RNC
    was dull and typical repub wife drivel.

October 10, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. mikescouch

Hilary NEVER did this, instead she showed the nation how strong she was.. from campaigning with her husband, before he became president, with their marital fallout, to her running for president and now in her role as secretary of defense. See the contrast? What message is she send America?

October 10, 2012 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Welsh cakes must be the only thing Ann knows how to cook and she burns them, the cooks and maids prepare all the full course meals. She needs to stop pretending and be the person she really is, it's OK to be a spoiled pampered housewife when you're married to millions because no one expects you to be in the kitchen like 47% of women.

October 10, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Ga.Democrat

And this is political news. I choose not to watch Ann because I do not care for her or her husband.

October 10, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |