Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. nona

It will be so great to have a real lady, Mrs. Romney (someone with class) in the White House in January.
    Romney/Ryan 2012

October 10, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Jack in Florida

Funny how she touts her "welsh cakes." Is that because Queen Ann wants to let the 47% eat cake?? Oh, Lovey, you and Thurston will have to pick one of your homes to go home too. America still has time to see through all of the lies your husband has been telling since the debates. A man with NO integrity. A pandering fraud! COME ON AMERICA, WAKE UP TO THIS LYING SACK!!!

October 10, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. Lilli

Pitiful!! This always happens to people who have maids and servants....she doesn't cook! Yes even with 5 sons.....always help around! ANd I bet the HELP could have been filmed at her house, too...lol

October 10, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. Smitty

I think it is amazing that she can talk about horse therapy to a nation where there are so many people who worry about even being able to go to the doctor.

October 10, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. matt

Let me guess, Obama snuck in and turned up the heat

October 10, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. simp

Who cares about this womans so called family cake tradition? The cake burned up because this woman hasnt been in a kitchen cooking, in FOREVER!! stop trying to act like us regular people you arent. I cant stand this phoney woman she looks down her nose at the 47% and nothing she can do or say can change that

watch her on the campaign trail, notice how when she talks she points her finger a lot, signs of giving orders to the maids, butler, gardner and cook. Crawl back to one of your mansions raggdy ann noboby buys your crap.

October 10, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  7. Malory Archer

Why is it that everytime this woman gets in front of a camera she paints herself as a victim? Frankly, I'm quite tired of her drama and would be thrilled to never have to hear her whiney voice or watch her look down her sneering nose at "you people" ever again.

October 10, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. Marc in Texas

Let them eat burned Welsh cake.

October 10, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Was Mitty Upset By The Witty Bitty Commercial?

"I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Well, Mitt, thanks for letting America know that all it takes to get you hot is a little 30-second television commercial. Maybe he saw the Big Bird commericial and couldn't contain his rage. How will he handle Russia and Putin if he can't handle a few political ads on television? How is he going to stand up to China if he can't even watch a TV ad?

Imagine this guy actually getting a call at 3:00 a.m. and having to make a calm and rational decision on behalf of all Americans? Maybe by his own admission, Mitt is just not up to the job.

Willard Romney is just about the last person I can think of that I would want to take that call on this country's behalf. He reminds me of George W. A guy who, like his daddy, wanted to be POTUS. The difference between the father and the son is that the father wanted the job, but the son wants the title of president without really wanting or being equipped to handle the actual responsibilities. He's just not presidential material.

October 10, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. nona

Yes, answering policies not rhetoric above.......a real lady .. not one who jumps rope, hula hoops etc.

October 10, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Ivy

Ann Romney's dream: Get me a horse, pronto! I shall ride into the sunset, giving all the poor children Welsh cakes so that they are not so dependent on government help! Well, who cares if they starve. They are not voting for my husband no matter what!

October 10, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. pcalif

CNN has now become FOX News. Nothing is bipartisan. This is such fluff. Hand out the hankies (again).

October 10, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. johnmenacherjr

Yup I will be honest. Just like everyone in america I have a dancing horse and it was in the olympics. Just like everyone I get tax deductions for my dancing horse. Oh my gosh the cakes are burned where is my pet illegal? not like anyone else has. She makes me ill I am sick of these rich creeps just like everyone else.

October 10, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Critical Thinking

Anne will make a wonderful First Lady. It will be nice to have someone in that position who has been proud of America her entire life. I really look forward to seeing more of her in that position.

October 10, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. democraticgirl

can't take the heat Mitt? Get out of the kitchen...We don't want you. Where's the tax returns....

October 10, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. rockysfan

Oh, my, the stress she's under! Please! Get at grip and go away. Don't care, no way, no how.

October 10, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  17. us_1776

Michelle is working to improve the lives of American Soldier's families.

Michelle is working to improve nutrition in America's school lunch programs.

Michelle is working to decrease hunger in America.

October 10, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Martha in CF

And why is this news!!!!!!!!!!!

October 10, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. Maryann Manzi

Oh come oneveryone!! you are so ridiculous with your comments. If Michelle Obama had been on everyone would be genuflecting if she made anything and the oohs and ahhs from George would have been nauseating. So, she has a few bucks. Why is everyone so bitter? The poor woman has had her share of illness. Leave her alone!! Much more classy thatn MO. I would love to have her as a first lady.

October 10, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Chuckie

A pattern emerges: ask daddy for the funding to complete your Ivy League education and start a business, every home should have elevators for your Cadillacs, if you have asthma just ride your dressage horse, want to have fun, bet someone $10,000 that they can't do something, 47% of Americans are deadbeats, etc. Who is deluded into thinking the Romneys have a clue what 90% of Americans’ life is like?

October 10, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Bwahahahaha

She's a great lady. The spiteful comments on this board crack me up! Bunch of haters!

P.s. What's the point of this peice CNN? To show Ann's cooking gaffe? Really?

October 10, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. MommaG

Hippotherapy (horse therapy) is amazing for anyone with special needs, she's correct there. My son LOVED it! He has Epilepsy and profound Autism and was in a program for a couple of years. However, the grant funds have dried up, our insurance doesn't cover it and the cost is enough that we can't fit it into the budget.

He still gets to see and nuzzle horses from time to time. I save apples that go soft and we stop at a farm near his school and feed them if they are close to the road. Trying to explain the concept of money and why he can only pet the horses and not ride to a child who doesn't speak is difficult to say the least.

I hope that the Romney's understand that most families with specail needs can't afford this activity – but I have a feeling it's never crossed their minds...

October 10, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. DEMonic

I hate you queen Anne because you're rich and I'm poor and you can't relate to me! Boo hoo. Now turn on "The View" and hand me my Obama phone!

October 10, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  24. scoto

Now this is a woman who REALLY understands the hardships that Americans face. There can be few tragedies impact one's life like the burning of ones Welsh cakes. Next Anne will give comfort to those of us whose horses "don't quite get those subtle dressage directions". At last a woman of the people!!

October 10, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  25. rta

Let's see, Ann Romney equals Donna Reed, June Cleaver, Harriet Nelson and Marie Antoinette. Support her man and let everyone else eat cake while the nation is burning at the thought of her husband as president

October 10, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |