Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. charlou

This is important BECAUSE!

October 10, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Pat

Irrelevant. Probably a nice enough person. What is more important is shifty Mitty. Still waiting on those tax returns. Now that is where Mrs. Mitt's claws come out – imagine the nerve of the little people wanting to see the same information that every presidential candidate since George Romney has provided.

October 10, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. GI Joe

Her turned up nose and puckered up old shriveled lips make me sick.

Her Mexican kitchen help usually does her cooking. Not too bad for a first try, but she needs to pay attention. Or is she too cheap to pay attention? Guess that $70,000 tax deduction for her horse didn't give her enough pocket change.

October 10, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. MNAnonymous!

Let them eat cake...

October 10, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Dave

Amazing how good someone can look after a couple of Facelifts. But then, Mittens has his $80,000 Wig so they BOTH can look good...if completely phony.

October 10, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. GI Joe

YOU PEOPLE have seen all of our records you need to see.

October 10, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  7. SC from Canada

Unfortunately, nothing appealing about Ann Romney. From some of her comments, she doesn't have a very thick skin when it comes to criticism about her husband. Her comments do not display much grace in the defense of her husband.

October 10, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. bobby frank

Don't have a problem with Mrs Robme. Just don't like her lying bumbling idiot husband.

October 10, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. tammyk tammy

How many Romneyhood vouchers do I need to qualify for horse therapy? Will I have any vouchers left for actual medical care? This woman reminds of Nancy Reagan – I wonder how much Queen Anne's new china will cost the middleclass tax payers. I want a intelligent FLOTUS like Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton representing my ideal of a woman in the White House, not this bubbleheaded blonde fluff piece who has no concept about what it is like to be a working woman. Michelle Obama 2012.

October 10, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. njket

Step-Ford Wife.... bet she has an off button.

October 10, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Libby Tardell

HAHAHAHA look at all the mean liberals on this thread, oh are you so angry now arent you? Time to get back to work liberals, Romney is going to win next month. Time to find a job.

October 10, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. WildMontana

When I saw the headline, I thought Ann Romney's cake emergency involved her saying something like "Let them eat it."

October 10, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. mikeindm

From Braddockboy: " i found michelles speech a little militant and self rightous"
    Is that code for an uppity black person? A militant black woman!

October 10, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. MesaMom

I wish I had $77k to spend on horse therapy and then take as a tax right off.

October 10, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. 4moreyears

Why is this even news. Come on CNN. STOP IT

October 10, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. WildMontana

When I saw the headline, I thought Ann Romney's cake emergency involved her saying something like "Let them e-at cake."

October 10, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Marg

We need a classy lady in the warehouse.... hey CNN how about looking at both sides and not just pro Democrat.

October 10, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. This Is The World Calling

braddockboy: Once the goverment starts to become too big they will start dictating what you eat, how to live, who should get what and who should not. No Thank you. Thats not what the pilgrams sailed here for from england . That is not who we are as a nation!
    ________________

Oh, you buy into all the rhetoric about smaller government? Isn't that cute.

Mitt Romney just gave a speech a few days ago about growing the size of the United States military machine and nation building and policing the world because American's influence is needed in the world. What part of that is not government intervention in people's affairs? How is it that Republicans somehow think that a larger military makes a smaller government? The military is the government. Growing the military with taxpayers' dollars is a way to create jobs.

If you're happy with military jobs and this country being the world's police, then Mitt is certainly your man. But let's don't pretend we'll have a smaller government that keeps its nose out of people's business, okay?

October 10, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Bookldy209

Actually, Ethics, horse therapy programs exist in many communities across our nation and are primarily funded by grants and donations. As a result, many offer sessions for children with autism, special needs or physical disabilities at reduced or no cost. These families struggle as it is and horse therapy is not redeemed on an EBT card. I have a good friend in her 60s who suffers greatly from MS yet somehow her body and mind is more relaxed and at peace on the back of a well broke, gentle equine. Regular riders, healthy or otherwise, know exactly what I am talking about.

October 10, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. PaulCat

When something goes wrong, do what you always do, blame the MEDIA.

October 10, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Margo

C'mon people...she is the drama queen...no doubt. Her and her emergencies, who cares about her anyways, her and her husband...perfectly matching robots.

October 10, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. SusieTX

God is trying to tell her something!

October 10, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. phil hamilton

GMA should never have left Ann Romney nor Michelle Obama on their program. We don't vote the thses spouses and neither can be trusted to be objective. GMA should be ashamed. Perhaps they can get Geraldo Rivera to fill in for their missing anchor, he is about as classy as these offerings.

October 10, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Paul Ernest Show

Romney picks up a child and he cries so incessantly and Ann tries to impress Americans and burns the cake. Ominous.

October 10, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. tammyk tammy

I noticed that Ann stated that THEY burned my Welsh cakes. Who is the THEY she is referring to? Does she think it was a socialist left wing conspiracy? Wink,wink George, glad to see you're still a Clinton man. Doesn't Ann understand that it is her responsibility as the cook to set the proper temperature when cooking something? We the people won't be giving her a chance to burn down the White house! Michelle Obama 2012 for kitchen safety and responsible cooking best practices.

October 10, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |