Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Rick in L.A.

I've no doubt that both Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Romney have only the best intentions. It's their better-halves I think that need closer scrutiny. Leave the women-folk out of it.
    That said, OBAMA 2012

October 10, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Yolie Scott

Please tell me how many woman cook in a very expensive dress – its not even realistic. Also, her criticizing President Obama being a bad sportsmanship, does she always have to stick up for Romney as if he is a little boy and cannot speak for himself. I bet she even wipes his -- just like she would a little kid.

October 10, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Slash Rancid

Rich, white, and out of touch. Carry on America.

October 10, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. snoozie

Well, gosh, if she was cooking the cakes, wouldn't she be the logical one to turn the heat down? I must have missed something.

October 10, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Malory Archer

braddockboy

policies not rhetoric
    And what makes you think michelle obama is not used to having things taken care of for her. Yes before she was married but that was some time ago. Her mother now lives at the white house as i understand and takes care of the children and everyday house chores. But before she moved to the white house i guarantee you she had domestic help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

She probably did have domestic help. HOWEVER, she also had a fulltime job OUTSIDE her home. Get it?

October 10, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. D in SLC

"Rich, white, and out of touch" is correct. Basically she is the "let them eat cake" type.

October 10, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. Mack

Shouldn't you be out watching someone ride your $77,000 tax deduction...uh.. I meant dancing horse.

October 10, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. LR

Ann Romney called us "you people" as if she's a queen. She has as much arrogance as her husband who wishes to be king.

October 10, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  9. Woman In California

I knew she wouldn't miss a chance for a "pity party". What a silly and fake person she is. She brags on GMA of teaching her grandchildren how to cook, because she has nothing but time unlike most of us, who work for a living (you know those 47%ers) and she also knows they'll never be killed in one of her husband's upcoming wars. She will never appeal to anyone other than suburban housewives, because those of us who actually HOLD DOWN A JOB and take care of our homes WITHOUT hired help can do without her, and I'll be glad when she's back home and off the national stage for good.

October 10, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. mark

Twit also knows how to cook, the books that is! Cookin up some good lies left and right. I bet he's teaching the grandkids how to take from those less fortunate so you can keep the fortune I built for you in the Swiss bank account and the Cayman Islands!

October 10, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"Owns a horse, is married to a horse's posterior."

And together they shovel horsesh-t at the American people.

October 10, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Mlawre

In response to "rich, white, and out of touch. Carry on America." .... is there something wrong with being white??

October 10, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. daveyde1886

Most of the above comments seem to have been scribed while drinking blue koolaid. Yes, its a fluff piece, and may not have anything to do with politics, but it was an opportunity to see Mrs. Romney in a personal light. Thank you GMA for being polite.

October 10, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Bob

Ann Romney's motto: "Let them eat cake!"

October 10, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Chumlee

Someone needs to explain to this flake how to dress

October 10, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Ron in California

All you Romney haters make me sick.
    Rich, white and out of touch??? Your kidding me with this crap right?
    Would Michelle then be Rich, Black and out of touch?
    These are the wives of the men whom want to run the country we love. Give the ladies a break for hells sake.

Romney/Ryan 2012 and the Obama's can cook together again:)

October 10, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Keith

CNN, please do us a favor and move on to more pressing news. No one cares about this uppity, snob of a woman or her Welsh cakes. Jeez.

October 10, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Libby Tardell

Hey libs, you all seem a little testy recently. Is it because Obama is having a difficult time debating on his terrible record? Also, I see some libs have thrown race into this cnn article. Angry, angry libs, scared they will have to go out and find a job when Romney wins. Step away from your Occupy Protest and get a job. Cant wait for Biden tomorrow night, "3 letter word J-O-B-S, oh yes the voice of liberalism

October 10, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. foralltheladies

I'm surprised, honestly, at how many hateful comments are on this board directed towards this woman. So she grew up in a privileged lifestyle- so what? Can you honestly say that if you worked your tail off and made a boat load of money, that you WOULDN'T take care of your kids, just as her parents did for her? That you wouldn't send them to the best college your money could buy? That you wouldn't take care of their every need growing up, or help them start their own business later in life? Since when is being successful, and transferring YOUR money to YOUR family, something to be vilified? What else should her family do with their money that they earned (no matter when it was they earned it?) Fork it all over to the government so it can be dispersed in whatever negligible and useless amount it would be- just so they can be poor and your jealousy can be eased?

Come on, America. When did we stop TRYING? I'm a 29 year old successful, yet middle class woman in DC, who came from a very poor family in Maine. But you know what? I know that right now, and 20 years from now, I can say something better. I WANT something better for myself, and someday, when I have kids, I want to pass something better on to them. To get there, I'm going to work my tail off, save every penny I can, live every day as happily as possible and do as much for others as I can in the meantime. To get to where I am, I put myself through college working 3 jobs because my folks are as poor as church mice, and I've worked 2 jobs ever since to get ahead. I take pride in what I do, and set high goals for myself. Someday, if I work hard enough, I might be in the same tax bracket as Mrs. Romney . So someday, when my kids want to play certain sports or travel special places, when my kids get to go to a great college and DON'T have to work 3 jobs, or when they're adults and want to start a business and make their own way- is that going to make them terrible people? Is all my hard work for nothing? Does it make me "elitist" because I strive to better myself, my family, and my community? I don't think so, and it's a shame to see that so many people think it does. My consolation is knowing that in 20 years, I will have done right by myself and my family. Can you say the same?

October 10, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. I've

I've flushed things down the toilet with more "values" than a republican.

October 10, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. lovespandas

You liberal are pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourselves but you apparently have no moral scruples!

October 10, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. policies not rhetoric

I don't think that she really cares about "you people" in the first place.
    her husband has changed his mind so many times i can't believe anyone would
    vote for him. ask people of mass what they thought of him. they couldn't get rid
    of him fast enough.

October 10, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. nell ryan

How are you cooking if you are not the one regulating the temperature of the griddle? She means she is just standing there looking at something on the griddle and we are supposed to believe she is the cook.

October 10, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. Russ in Md

And I thought the hate and rhetoric wasn't bad already. Ever since the debate and the new polls showing Gov. Romney in the lead, it’s gotten twice as bad. To all you Obamabots, Radio Shack is having a special on reprogramming. Why don't you all come on down and get some independent thought uploaded and rejoin the American society.

October 10, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Jane

What's with all the primary colors in her wardrobe? I need blinders on to watch her. lol.

October 10, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |