Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. FLIndependent

If Mitt can't take the ads about him and said they raise his blood pressure, how on earth is he going to handle all the criticism and responsibilities he'll have as President? Oh that's right – he's just going to be another puppet, yes-man to his corporate overlords.

October 10, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. gino

Liar, liar, cakes on fire.

October 10, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Khaleeshi

Ann Romney – let them eat cake, welsh cake that is. Too bad she burned them.

Obama/Biden 2012

October 10, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Hypocrisy

I love the way the Obama's can go on the View or ET and all the other fluff shows as if it's totally to be expected and appreciated and GMA invites Ann Romney on and suddenly doing these types of fluff pieces shows just how out of touch the Romneys are. We know whether Obama prefers red or green chili, that he's a Beyonce fan, and that he has never heard the song "Call Me Maybe" but for some reason we can't figure out what happened in Libya, how to create jobs and get people back to work, or stop the out of control spending.

It's so easy to judge someone when you are an anonymous poster on a CNN article. Nevermind that Ann Romney has MS and has battled cancer as well. Or that Mitt and Ann donate MILLIONS of dollars EACH year to charity. God forbid she do a fluff piece – if she had said no she would have been labeled out of touch – she can't win either way. Ann Romney wearing a nice dress to cook for GMA is no different than Michelle Obama wearing $550 sneakers to had out food at a homeless shelter. Which she did.

October 10, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. DemocraticSabotage

You know that Stephanopoulos had the staff turn up the heat on that griddle to try to make Ann Romney look bad. I bet he wouldn't do that if Michelle Obama was on fixing up her signature collard greens.

October 10, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. weezer

Oh...when I first saw the caption, I thought she had said to the 47% to "Let them eat cake", like her role model Marie...

October 10, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Libby Tardell

Oh Russ in Md, when libs lose they get mad, really mad. They will attack anything and anyone. I think most of them are mad because they may have to come off the foodstamps and get a JOB when Romney wins. Also, nice picture of Ann Romney CNN, could you have chosen any worse of a picture, typical.

October 10, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Connie Servaturd

Libby Tardell- Romney is having a little trouble debating on the truth. Not to mention his policies which shift like the wind.

October 10, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. no vote for romney

foralltheladies.
    you sound so very young. there are MANY of us who have done the same as you.
    Guess what? we are older now and had to survive 2000-2008. You'd better be careful
    how you vote because the romneys consider you "you people" "the 47%" and believe me
    they don't care how hard you've worked. They will be happy to trash your personal economy
    just like Bush did with deregulation and making sure his 1 percent friends keep doing just fine.
    I say it again–many of us did and are doing just what you are and my advice to you is be careful
    who you consider on your side. if you are voting your romney you are voting against yourself.

October 10, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. Jared

Who proof reads this stuff? "reporters traveling with she and her husband"

October 10, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. Jaenicke

I think she arrived with the completed cakes, like the ones on the other plate. Then stage hand set-up the griddle, and she proceeded to put some of the completed cakes on for the camera. That's why she said "they burned my cakes". I seriously doubt that she started the dough backstage from scratch, or there would be white flour all over the red dress. I know those with small minds would love to think she burned them, but I think it was a trick done for a laugh by a liberal stage-hand.

October 10, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. Meka

Just like the Republicans are TRYING TO BURN THE MIDDLE CLASS!!

October 10, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. skytag

"She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness."

Did she happen to mention who is supposed to pay for ordinary Americans to get "horse therapy?"

October 10, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Mike

Let them eat cake.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. John the Historian

Does she get 87 husbands on the planet of kolob ? How can anyone believe that cult of mormonism. I wonder if the horse will get future husbands or wives depending on the gender of her nag.

October 10, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. Dennis

Hmmmm....she need help turning down the stove/griddle; I wonder how much time she spends in the kitchen. And that belt in the pics with this article, I bet it cost more than most make in a week?!?!

October 10, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. Poor wittle t'ings

Aaaahh,you poor poor t'ings! I'll bet if it was Michele Obama you righties would be crowing all over it. Now, what you put out you get back again, so, maybe you should lay off the hate some.

October 10, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Sick of Dems

I wish that the dems had a polite bone in their bodies. I think it was wonderful that Ann Romney was even on GMA. It was nice that she was trying to teach us a little bit about her background. Leave it to the dems to turn it around and be mean. Today is National Stop Bullying day and everybody is supposed to be wearing orange. Bet they aren't.

October 10, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. ray

thios ugly woman is a pathological and hypocrite like her husband , not forgetting a racists like him too. i wonder why white people seems to like lies so much when its against values? mmmmmmmm i know because they want the blackman out the white house.

October 10, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  20. Frederick2

I think someone on the show played a trick on her. What a great way to throw her off her game. Isn't GMA known for hiring liberal people (Diane S, George S, Robin R, etc.). Maybe the TODAY Show should invite M.O. and set her up too.

October 10, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  21. craig

Well, now what will we do. We can't even "eat cake" because she burned them. Damn! No bread, and now no cake. Guess the 47% will just have to starve...and pay higher taxes. What kind of future is that?

October 10, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. MommaG

@nona

a real lady (someone with class) .. not one who jumps rope, hula hoops etc
    -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

For your information I consider myself to be a WOMAN of real class, and honey Mrs. Romney is not it. A real woman does jump rope with her children, a real woman does hula hoop with her children, a real woman does get her hands dirty in the garden with her children.

A real woman takes an active role within their community and understands that not everyone has the same advantages as they do, yet they pick those people up and help them just the same.

A real woman will lay on the floor as her child is in the throws of a seizure and count the minutes praying that they don't die and still be able to smile at the daughter doing homework next to her. Life brought me a very special gift – a special needs son – a little boy who does not speak, who can not feed or dress himself. He was a child that neither my husband or I planned on, yet our whole world is now focused on making certain that he will continue to receive the care and love after we're gone that he does today.

That little boy is why I really FEAR this woman and her husband. She talks a good game, yet fails to understand that most families can not afford the type of therapy she's talking about. My husband and I work full time, we split a 3 hour a day commute to get our son to a school that specializes in children like him. We get $0 – $ZERO$ in goverment aide for our son – welcome to FL home of the Republican. My son loves to ride horses too, but without grant funds we can't make it work in our budget.

No, I want a real Woman with class in the White House. Michelle Obama is the type of woman who would lay on the floor with you – while you counted those moments of dread and fear. What makes me think that – I've seen her jump rope, I've seen her hula hoop, I've seen her garden with her kids... I haven't seen anything from Ann Romney except drama and the bottom side of her up turned nose, while she looks down it on the rest of us.

October 10, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Catherine

Democratic Sabotage, I sure hope you are kidding otherwise, you are getting a bit paranoid. Things sometimes burn in the kitchen. It happens and it's no big deal unless you start the actual kitchen on fire. @Libby Tardell-what's wrong with her picture? She looks fine.

October 10, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Sandi

October 10, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain: Hey, networks, fact-check the debates in real-time and put it in the crawl!

@Sandi: "I choose not to watch GMA because of it's liberal leanings, and the hate speech and lies the democrats constantly spew."

Typical Repub: accusing others of your own bad behavior. Y'all are pathetic!

October 10, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |