Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency
October 10th, 2012

Ann Romney's Welsh cake emergency

(CNN) - Steering clear of politics, first lady hopeful Ann Romney appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk cooking and horse therapy. But while Romney's appearance in the show's 8 a.m. ET hour was devoid of campaign news, it was not without culinary drama.

As Mrs. Romney was being introduced to the show, standing alone in the "GMA" studio kitchen, the Republican candidate's wife noticed her famous Welsh cakes burning on the griddle.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Oh, and they're burning," said Romney clad in a bright red dress similar to the one she wore as she spoke to the Republican National Convention in August.

"Tell us about these," host George Stephanopoulos said proceeding to introduce her from a separate set away from the kitchen despite the burning cakes.

"They're burning," she replied. "You've got to turn the griddle down."

"I got a cooking emergency," Romney continued with a laugh. "The griddle's too hot. But I'm here. I'm making Welsh cakes. My grandmother taught me how to make them. I'm teaching my grandchildren how to make them."

Ann Romney's Welsh cakes have become her staple on the campaign trail, often doling out the traditional family treat to reporters traveling with she and her husband as they campaign across the country.

"You know, my grandfather started working in Wales at age six and my grandmother from the time they could ever remember ate Welsh cakes every day at three o'clock and so I'm learning how. I learned from my grandmother and now I'm teaching my grandkids."

Husband and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said that he watched his wife on "GMA" but was more concerned with the fiery political ads surrounding the segment than the heat that burned Mrs. Romney's Welsh cakes.

"This morning my wife was on 'Good Morning America' between the eight and nine o'clock time hour and I got to watch her but between her segments I also watched some of the ads, some of the ads on me, and it's a good thing I don't do that very often because my blood pressure would be very high," said Romney to supporters in Ohio Wednesday.

Later in the program, culinary drama stirred again as actor Stanley Tucci talked about his new cookbook on the kitchen set. Standing by Mrs. Romney and Stephanopoulos a pot started to overheat, appearing to spew hot butter onto the kitchen.

"They burned my Welsh cakes too!" Mrs. Romney said.

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," Romney joked referring to when her campaign plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado last month due to an apparent electrical fire.

Far from the studio kitchen, Romney also appeared in Times Square standing next to the horse and rider who represented the United States in London at the Paralympic Games over the summer. She touted the benefits of horse therapy for everyone from children who have autism to wounded war veterans, also dipping into her own struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and the benefits riding had on her illness.

Stephanopoulos said "GMA" has reached out to first lady Michelle Obama to appear on the show and she is considering it as she is working out her schedule.

In closing, Stephanopoulos apologized to Mrs. Romney for coming close to causing a stovetop meltdown.

"Thank you to Ann Romney. Sorry we nearly blew you up," he said.

–CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Sirned

She sounds so snotty and above it all.... I feel for her maid that drops an expensive kitchen plate...You can tell her superiority over those less powerful would be cruel and usual....

October 10, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain: Hey, networks, fact-check the debates in real-time and put it in the crawl!

@nona: "a real lady (someone with class) .. not one who jumps rope, hula hoops etc."

I bet Ann Romney would love to be able to be more physically active than she can be, given her MS ...

October 10, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  3. LUCY

This is a really bad article, it jumps all over the place and lost me completely at the end. I am sorry, what was the point? I hate the way the author refers to Ann Romney as just Romney, I have never heard Michelle Obama called "Obama" it is confusing to say the least. Again, what was the point of the article, something about burnt toast??

October 10, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. markh

@hypocrisy The fact that she's on the show doesn't make her out of touch. She just showed that "the help" probably do the vast majority of the cooking at Chez Romney.

October 10, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. NoTags

"I don't know, my plane almost goes down, now I almost get burned with butter," What a drama queen!

October 10, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. CryBabies

My response to all you whiney libs....FY.

October 10, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. UDidntBuildThat

Wow CNN. That was a very riveting story!!! With all that is going on this stellar report is just simply amazing.
    Shhhhhhh dont talk about Obama just got caught lying to us about Libya, campaign donors fr outside the US and shhhh about anything that can hurt the annointed one Obama. shhhhh CNN just keep being the useful idiots of this Obama Admin.

October 10, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Tim

To THINKAGAIN...MS=BS! She has enough money to buy her relief; I know the seriousness of MS, but hey, can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. My second point I'd like to make is that a "real lady" does not have to feel and act superior to everyone around her! That's not confidence, it's arrogance!

October 10, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Shannon

who cares what this horrible woman has to say, I'm surprised she didn't say "let them eat cake". She thinks of herself as a queen above it all. She actually said "it's our turn to be President." I guess she doesn't think the peons even have the right to vote. If she points her finger at the television screen and says "you people" one more time, I'm going to barf!

October 10, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. 0rangeW3dge

Mitt Romney has high blood pressure? Well, that's not a surprise for a man his age. Good thing they have Paul Ryan.

October 10, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Emily

October 10, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Burning in the griddle? Was that your husband's campaign?
    @emily – wake up sweetherat. This non working wife is a first class witch. Mrs. Obama has raised two wonderful girls. The non working wife had help from nannies and chauffers.
    She might be living with a chronic illness but she doesn't have to worry about getting up in the middle of the night in pain then having to go to work in pain and come home in pain. She sits back in her chaise lounge with the best medicine and that therapy horse money can buy.
    Read your last two sentences. That is NOT the non working wife!!!

October 10, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. Marie MD

@emily-you do live in that rethug bubble don't you?
    The non working wife seems to be a first class witch deep down inside. She is NOT genuine. She did not raise those five non serving sons of her by herself. She had maid, nannies, chauffers. Mrs. Obama, on the ohter hand, has raised two very well behaved grounded girls.
    Yes, she has a chronic illness but she has NEVER had to wake up int he middle of the night in pain or go to work in pain or be at work in pain and come home in pain and continue to do what women (and men) have to do in pain.
    We, the 47%+, don't have a choice if we want insurance to get rid of the pain. Mrs. non working wife NEVER HAD TO WORK A DAY IN HER LIFE!!! She doesn't know the meaning of pain and stress and the cr ap that goes on at work regardless of how you feel every single day.

October 10, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. some chick

Oh, how nice to have such a priveledged life. Horses, a home with heat and food...
    servants ect....Just to not have the daily worries that us 47% ers have. Get to work
    at 2 jobs, skip dinner so the kids will get full. Romneys, do you have any idea how the rest
    of us live? The worries ? Wanting the best for our kids? Never enough food, enough for the heat bill
    or gas for the car. Many sleepless nights full of worry. You are very lucky Romneys, I can imagine what
    your life must be like.

October 10, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. Republican Class Warfare

Let them eat cakes, I guess.

And this article is horribly written. When you're talking about two people with the same last name, how about using "Governor Romney" and "Mrs. Romney" or something. Dang.

October 10, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. marjee123

Oh gee I thought that Mitt pushed her face in it, you know like the used to push his kids face in to the butter.

October 10, 2012 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Timbob

Not to pick on Mrs. Romney or the value of horse therapy, but isn't this another example of the disconnect between wealthy Americans (whether democrat or republican) and the 47% and the 50 million Americans with little or no medical coverage. Specifically, advocating the benefits of "being one" with a million dollar horse as a way to ease the symptoms of MSJ, while advocating the demise of ObamaCare. Just saying!!

October 10, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. Jim

Anyone think the kitchen staff turned up the heat on purpose?

October 10, 2012 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  19. GI Joe

Ann Romney uses MS and Cancer survivor to get sympathy votes. YOU PEOPLE don't get to see any more of our records.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I've known people that had mastectomies and never complained - and went back to work in days or weeks. Ann has never even had a job outside the house, and her job at the house was to supervise the help that was raising her lying sons. *They admitted they lied to their dad all the time.

October 10, 2012 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. GI Joe

If that is a Christian family, I'll never go to church again. I don't want to be labeled like they are - HYPOCRITS AND LIARS.

October 10, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. Marie MD

Hey non working wife. Were you and your non serving sons proud of your twit of a husband when he told Lehrer in front of the Nation that he was going to fire him?
    Yes, that sure shows a man with a heart. In his case as black as coal!

October 10, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. tavernvoice

And people wonder why CNN is losing its ratings, rankings, readership and viewership. Amazing. However if there was a journalism award for attempting to push an agenda and shape a perception, I'd say bravo. You've clearly outdone yourself. So by inference, all the Michelle has ever done and ever will do, is perfectly befitting of a first lady. See through the garbage people. You're vote is being managed by the media.

October 10, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  23. Farrok

I have nothing against the Romneys; however, they are the Wrong people for the jobs they seek and I refuse to Vote for them and their policies. I want my Social Security and Medicare as I paid every Friday for them………………….

October 10, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  24. CyndyP

"They burned my Welsh cakes" and "I almost got burned with butter"; guess she didn't realize she could turn the griddle down herself. Also, almost doesn't count!

October 10, 2012 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  25. Oy

"Emily

She seems like a down to earth, well mannered, family-oriented lady. Unlike the woman she is going to replace in November, Ann Romney is a genuine person who actually raised her own children. It is very tough living with a chronic illness, especially when you have a large family. So a maid/housekeeper is not such a privileged thing, some people don't have any choice. Just be thankful you can get out of bed every day."

Omg. Are you serious? What are you ON? Some people don't have any choice but to have a maid/housekeeper? Um. Yes, poor poor Ann. Forced against her will to have hired help. You know, most people with MS don't have that luxury. And to say that Michelle didn't raise her own children?
    You lie as much as Mr. Romney. Good grief.

October 10, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |