October 10th, 2012

CNN exclusive: Paul Ryan hasn't called Palin for advice

(CNN) - Paul Ryan's debate preparations have involved a core team of aides, improvised sessions on his plane, and mock debates in hotels all around the country.

But one thing Ryan did not do to prepare – seek advice from the only other Republican who has faced off against Joe Biden in a vice presidential debate: Sarah Palin.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"You know I haven't," Ryan answered when asked in an exclusive interview if he had reached out to the former Alaska governor. "I don't really know her. I only met her once and that was about two years ago."

Asked if he would ask Palin's advice given the chance, Ryan said he would.

"Sure, sure, sure," he said.

As for Palin's now-famous inquiry on whether she could call Biden "Joe" ahead of their 2008 match-up, Ryan said he and his opponent were already on first name terms.

"I know him as Joe and he calls me Paul," the Wisconsin congressman said.

So will he call the vice president "Joe" during Thursday's debate?

"You know I haven't given it that much thought to be honest with you," Ryan said. "Probably not, unless he wants to make it casual. But we know each other. Actually, we've gotten along quite well over the years. I like Joe personally quite a bit I just disagree with his policies."

Those disagreements are certain to emerge at Thursday's debate in Danville, Kentucky. A source familiar with Ryan's debate preparations tells CNN that since the first presidential debate, they have intensified focus on lines President Barack Obama ignored during his first debate with GOP nominee Mitt Romney, including hitting Romney for his remarks on the 47%, and for his role at Bain Capital, the private equity firm he co-founded.

Since those sore spots for team Romney didn't come up at all during the first presidential debate – a point of dismay among many Democrats – Ryan sources believe Biden will attempt to make up for it on during their debate.

– Watch more from Dana Bash's interview with Paul Ryan at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

1. Tracey T

Ryan may be a liar but he is not a complete idiot. Why would he call Sarah Palin for advice.

October 10, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. tom

Guess he's not quite as stupid as I thought he was...still a lyin Ryan idiot though.

October 10, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. imsickofitall

wow and this qualifies for space on the CNN web page...how about a headline "Obama calls Rev Wright for advice"

October 10, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. TheTraveler

Only thing Paul Ryan has said or done that I can agree with him on ...

October 10, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Bob

How about an article about, "Mad Dog Biden Hasn't Called Aliens from Another Dimension for Advice".

It would be about as meaningless as this is.

October 10, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Lamar in Dallas, TX

OMG, CNN. This is an "exclusive?" You must be hurting for real news. In all likelihood, he has watched the debate Sarah Palin and VP Biden....Are you just that desperate to keep Sarah Palin's name alive? Why don't you leave that to Fixed, uh I mean Fox News?

October 10, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. skewed

Not asking Palin for advice is the only good thing I can say about Ryan.

October 10, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. The Keystone Garter

You use a weapon?

October 10, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Bill C

CNN will stop at nothing to prop up the weakest president in U.S. history. This is about as much of a story as Paul Ryan walking his dog. Who cares? But it gives CNN another opportunity to bash Palin and Republicans so they run this non-story.

October 10, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. dmd

Did plugs call Edwards or Lieberman for advice?

October 10, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. FactsRBad

Why would anyone call that know-nothing, vacuous airhead. The only advice she could deliver is how to use reality TV to make money by exploiting your family.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. Kathleen

I always hate myself for doing it, but I just can't help clicking on a story with "Palin" in the headline. I also click on any story with "Opossum" in the headline.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. CNNuthin

Unless Paul Ryan breaks down crying in shame, I don't think he can do worse than Palin. But he can't "Win" the debate right now. Romney set an expectation that is too high to achieve for Ryan and Biden is so well known for his gaffes that he can't do anything except do better than expectations. But then again, someone may end up breaking down on stage. You never know.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  14. Martin

Anyone who asks Palin's advice on anything has already lost.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. ritmocojo

I thought that's who he and Mittens were getting their "intel" briefings from. Like the Benghazi briefing.

October 10, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. a disgrace but you voted for him

at least biden cant do worse than obama!

October 10, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. Has Mittens "RETROACTIVELY RETIRED" as the GOVERNOR of MA back to before he signed ROMNEYCARE???

And why would he, he already knows how to lie!

Maybe he could use a few tips on pole dancing...

October 10, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I think he should call Palin just to ask her what made her so smart that McCain picked her over Romney and why.

October 10, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. jinx88

LMAO I hope Palin is sitting by the phone waiting for Ryan to call.

October 10, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Nevergobacktorepub

The really scary part is that I couldn't stand Palin. But I have a deep fear Romney/Ryan getting into office. We should all be scared if they do!

October 10, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. Jeff Cox

He may not be calling her for advice, but I bet he's voting to keep her bimbo daughter alive on "Dancing With the Stars"!

October 10, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. rob

What a waste of space this headline is !!! WHO CARES ABOUT SARA PALIN ??? What on earth does she have to do with this leection ???

I predict VP Biden will clumbsily try to use those "Bain Capital" and the "47%" zingers but Ryan will be an articulate and effective spokesman for his and Romney's plans regardless.....Ryan in a cake walk.

Nov 6th can't come fast enough.

Romney/Ryan 2012

October 10, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Pat

I don't like Paul Ryan's politics but I will give him kudo's for being smart enough not to seek out Palin's advice.

October 10, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. us_1776

Oh, I suppose Sarah is upset.

She's quickly dying out.

October 10, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Jon

As a tea-party republican myself I wouldn't recommend that many people call Mrs. Palin for advice. I think Ryan got the memo on that.

October 10, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |