Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate
October 11th, 2012

Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate

(CNN) - A combative debate Thursday between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan came down to the issue of trust.

The running mates to President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney in next month's presidential election each challenged the other's facts and claims in the 90-minute nationally televised debate that was their only showdown of the campaign.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Kentucky • Paul Ryan
  1. GI Joe

Mitt Romney had stock in Chinese Oil to buy Iranian oil until the day before he filed papers to run for president THIS TIME. He broke all rules of the sanctions to make money for himself.

Romney is UN-American in everything he does.

October 11, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  2. Mary

Biden seems to think we're better off. Well guess again, I'm 60+ and I'm unemployed. I was far better off under GW Bush. I'd love to have a job but the Obama administration seems to think that I'd prefer to be on the dole (wrong!) Biden and Obama have no concern or support for working class Americans or for that matter the fine men and women who are fighting for our country in a war in which they administration has already sold them out!

October 11, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  3. Name Cilly

Ryan looked like an idiot. He was nervous and very thirsty. Out classed. He lied and it showed! Biden knows what he is talking about... Ryan just shut it!

October 11, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  4. Deb

watched the debate. biden seems to think - and the gal being interviewed right now agrees with him - that simply interrupting with the word "Marlarky" is fact checking. He is an angry old man whose smug laughter and shouted interruptions are all that are left in his aresenal. He absolutely LIED about the effect of Obamacare–ask my 73-year-old mother how much of her miniscule SS check is going to go to pay for health coverage. (Just so you'll know: it's well over 30% of the check.) And lastly, if anyone refers to me in that tone of voice as "my friend" - I am going to not only watch my back, I'm going to hire an entire TEAM to help me.

October 11, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  5. Ms. Listener

Both parties seem like good people..... No ones perfect. At the end of the day the American people wants to vote for a president that has a plan and can identify the FACTS......... VP BIDEN DID JUST THAT. Obama has my vote!

October 11, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  6. Rob

Biden lost Ryan won – That simple. Joe came off as a desperate, foolish, old, out of touch curmudgeon. Epci Fail #2 for the dems in the debate

October 11, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  7. John

No money for social security or medical coverage for Americans. But seems like there is money for a war with Iran, Syria, and Russia. Ryan wants bipartisan now but where was he when mC Connell spoke.

October 11, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  8. NameDana G.

We looked at the independent fact checkers and see why people are saying Romney/Ryan lies ... they do lie and have both changed stories every other month! Biden had to interrupt Ryan to call him out on Romney/Ryan lies and the fact checkers even show they lie about Obama policies and/or what Obama says! Biden had to interrupt to get the truth out!!

October 11, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Jim Bean

Ryan one hands down. Biden was unprofessional and rude, not to mention lacking facts.

October 11, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  10. Nata B.

Biden was on point. Sincere, open , honest. He looked into the camera and said people trust your gut on this one.

October 11, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  11. Lorenzo

The GOP wants to ride on the coat-tails of middle-class; at argument among other things is the budget; a budget years down the road which will affect the down trodden; let the Afghanis do their own thing and if the Taliban wants to continue killing their own-let them-we need to protect Israel. We as a country need to unify, take care of our own and stop being the world police!

October 11, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. CanadaONE

Biden WON as we was way more experienced and more authentic – Ryan just repeated what he was taught to say

October 11, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  13. Nancy

Agreed. I still want to know why they failed to give our men the help they needed. Mixed messages is to kind a word. It was more like intentional deception.

October 11, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Marty, FL

Lyin' Ryan sadly chose to repeat two lies of the year–"death panel" lie and "governmental takeover" lie.

Malarkey indeed–don't trust Romney/Ryan at all.

October 11, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. mil

Biden won. Ryan was being too evasive with his answers like his boss romney. The middle class is not their Isaac. They should let us know if there's a sacrificial lamb or not with regards to tax. We don't want to find out later( if )we get there that the middle class will be the lamb for the sacrifice. Hey priebus! biden won,accept it.

October 11, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  16. Name jmh

Vice President Biden didn't take any CRAP from the Republicans!!! More Democrats need to do this!!!!

October 11, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. K k Kennedy

I felt that vp Biden was disrespectful by his smirking and shaking his head. All in all, I have to say that these two fine men made me proud of my country and our government. They were both genuine and earnest, however I couldn't help but feel that Comgressman Ryan has a more seriously thought out worldview and would be a very conscientious vice president. I will vote republican, IN SPITE of the tea party and the far right party wing.

October 11, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Biden did a nice tactic of looking into the camera. It was a split because there were points that both one. I happen to think that Biden won more. There were times where both failed to answer the questions that were asked.

October 11, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  19. john

My hat off to the Vice- President, information received there is no question as to the V.P. reflected the exact way i feel, GOD BLESS AMERICA. Remember where we were America,Thanks Joe, I got it.

October 11, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  20. MVaughn

Vice president Biden crushed congressman Ryan! Experience, knowledge and clarity was clearly seen with the vice president and at the end of the day it doesn't matter if he used mannerisms or not. What really matters is we have to choose who is capable of bringing our country back up. And it will clearly be President Obama and Vice President Biden!

October 11, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  21. Marty, FL

VP Biden won the debate and did a great job representing a stronger middle class America.

Obama/Biden 2012

October 11, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  22. Ms Edyeluv

Like I said, tell the truth and SHAME the Devil(s). Lying Robme/ Ryan/Rethug-Pugs.

October 11, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  23. Bill

Martha did a great job. Biden won hands up. Factcheck will show Biden won.

October 11, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  24. Rick McDaniel

Ya know the Dems are still trying to blame Bush for everything.

They are such LIARS!

October 11, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  25. Wayne

Biden won and did a great job. More numbers, more broad in explaining the answers, and demanded the stage.

October 11, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |