Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate
October 11th, 2012

Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate

(CNN) - A combative debate Thursday between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan came down to the issue of trust.

The running mates to President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney in next month's presidential election each challenged the other's facts and claims in the 90-minute nationally televised debate that was their only showdown of the campaign.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Kentucky • Paul Ryan
  1. mirrorlogic

Is it me...or when they do close-ups Ryan looks like a clown. I mean his policy reflects that, but actually - does anyone else think he looks a bit like a clown? Please chime in if you agree.

October 11, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  2. 4YouFromTexas

Biden's smirks and grins looked like he wasn't taking this serious. OF COURSE HE HAD CONTROL over the debate, anyone would if they continually interrupt and loudly voice an opinion over the other, very unprofessional and very rude on Biden's part. This debate was very disappointing as it seemed to be one sided. I'm sure the numbers and facts will be coming out and compared with what was said from both of them. Depending on where these numbers come from (the media) will be believable or not. Lets just hope the presidential debate will be more professional.

October 11, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. Joseph Shorts

Great job moderating Martha!

October 11, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  4. J.Daly

I thought Biden came off as a condescending, ill-mannered, baffoon.

October 11, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  5. Sean

basically Ryan dodged on all specifics, couldn't answer questions factually or intelligently. Joe Biden did interrupt a little much, but was doing so for good reason. I do not believe it was a draw. I believe Joe won the debate.

October 11, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  6. John

It was a clear knockout for Biden. Ryan was all over the place and look weak and confused.....

October 11, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  7. J.D.

Do you really believe there are any "independant" fact checkers? How naive.

October 11, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. american woman

How much more bait and switch can this middle class endure.? This has been the most divisive, disrespectful un-American administration that I have had the misfortune to be fooled once by. NEVER TWICE !

October 11, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. NameDana G.

The problem is Romney/Ryan has absolutely no new ideas and wants to go back to Bush ideas that got us in this mess and will not work. No wonder they did not want to have Bush at their convention. Plus I cant trust Romney who puts his money in other countries .. he is certainly not patriotic. We are voting for Obama.

October 11, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  10. Cube

Ryan did okay but dint really explain things like mitt that's y I'm vote obama cause I'm one of those 47% vet who lives week to week pay checks with 8 kids to fed and cloth to have a guy not pay his taxes like. He should have. Been doing I LUV U BIDEN THANK U FOR TELLING LIKE IT IS !!!!!!!!

October 11, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. U.S Vet

as i read the comments it is no wonder our country and Government Stay in constant mess up. You people are concerned with a smirk or how arrongant someone come off verse the important things like JOB's and bringing the JOBs back to America. why not talk about the fact that Rommey do not care about the 47% which most if not all you us fall in, or the fact that they Want to rasie the retirement age again so you can literally work yourself to death. People I can care less about how someone look I want to know that they are going to build America. Also I need to trust what they say, not say one thing to one group or behind close doors then something else when the camera is on.. Go youtube what the Newt, rayn, santorum and the rest of the GOP leaders calling Mitt a lier and flip flopper from with in the party. Those are the thing s that matters to me.. So areyou voting for AMERICA or a Party?

October 11, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  12. Name TN Lady

Mirrorlogic-what is your problem? Are you so shallow that you would vote for someone based on their look? Sad!

October 11, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  13. indiangirl

How embarrassing and frightening to see the man who is our Vice President make a fool of himself like he did tonight. We are in deep, deep trouble people if anything should happen to our sitting President!!!

October 11, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Roc

I didn't like the way Vice President Biden smirked and laughed while congressman Ryan was speaking. If you can't even listen while other people speak it means your not open to discussion and that means its my way or the highway. Bad characteristic in a position that is supposed to help govern this great country. I will be voting for Romney Ryan after tonight's debate.

October 11, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  15. Name

Biden won, he was clear and show the knowledge we need. Ryan wasn't clear.

October 11, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  16. dan

Ryan definitely won, he finished strong and spoke much better than Biden, who apparently thinks it is okay to be rude and interrupt Ryan. I turn 18 this month and am so happy I am able to vote Romney/Ryan 2012

October 11, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  17. Mike Beall

The debate was difficult to watch. Biden seemed rude with his constnt laughing, finger pointing and interruptive condescending attitude.

October 11, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. Masterdebater

Heres the fact Romney is not the answer look up Mr.1% percent tell me what u think the none of the lies matter here Paul Ryan only avoided the real answers he avoid all of it just as Robme did it will not change they only have "frame work"

October 11, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  19. Nia

Joe Biden did an awesome job. He won the debate.

October 11, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  20. Louise

Biden needs to learn some self control!
    Ryan was a gentleman.

October 11, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. Anonymous

I think Ryan didn't have facts. Biden won ! sounded a little frustrated because of the Romney lies because he can relate with the middle class more.

October 11, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. Larry in Houston

can't blame Biden for trying to straighten the lies and made up stuff that lyin Ryan was speaking about, no wonder he had to stop him from continuing his made up stories.

GOBAMA / BIDEN 2012

October 11, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  23. Raquel

Paul Ryan was better... I didn't like the vicepresident laughing and interrupting on and on...

October 11, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  24. Ben

Biden did exactly what he was told to do. Only Ryan talked about the future.

October 11, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  25. Name RICARDOGOLDWIRE

Joe bide did a great job he was trustworthy n he didn't interrupt no more den MITT MONEY

October 11, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |