Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate
October 11th, 2012

Biden, Ryan trade blows in vice presidential debate

(CNN) - A combative debate Thursday between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan came down to the issue of trust.

The running mates to President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney in next month's presidential election each challenged the other's facts and claims in the 90-minute nationally televised debate that was their only showdown of the campaign.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Kentucky • Paul Ryan
  1. Mark

Joe Biden Won Hands Down

October 11, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  2. Linda

Joe Biden won hands down ! He called Ryan on his lies and gave us the facts in a precise well i
    informed way ! Ryan was dodging the issues never given specific's of his plan even when asked repeatedly by the commentator !

October 11, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  3. JB

Biden was rude, interrupted, smirked... very unprofessional. Unlike some that said Ryan was on the defense, it's clear that the current administration is the one that must defend, they are the ones that made promises and must answer to where America is. Biden did a "good" job of controlling but a poor job of answering and defending where America is in most every area discussed. His only issue... Middle class... Ryan answered that very well! Ryan and Republicans win another debate, though possibly overshadowed by Bidens embarrasing demeanor.

October 11, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. Abdiel

Biden won the debate and show the american people of United state go in good way

October 11, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  5. Md

Joe Biden seemed very condescending with his smirks and eye rolling. Very unprofessional. This is not how I want my vice president to be! He represented rude and pushy American, which does not represent me.

October 11, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  6. Ken Necker

I felt Biden had better facts on every issue. I felt Biden talked to me.
    Like Romney Ryan never answered in detail especially on Syria when asked what would Romney do.
    I don't trust Ryan Romney.

October 11, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Name Chuks

Good job by Joe Biden. The facts matter always

October 11, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  8. Sue

VP Biden just body slammed Ryan tonight!!! Ryan did not answer any of the questions. Joe had all the facts!!

October 11, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. ms.moore

I give Paul Ryan an A-
    I give Joe Biden an A. A straight jacket. A piece of duct tape. A breathalyzer, A drug test..whatever it takes this man is out of his mind. He laughted about unemployment, the middle east, medicare, social security. But it will be the voters who have the last laugh when they vote for Paul Ryan. If my kid ever had a report card as bad as Obama's and Biden's and they laughed about it when I wanted to talk about it...heads would roll.

October 11, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  10. Namebruce wayne

I think joe biden won this ryan couldn't come up with numbers help the economy and the war over seas

October 11, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  11. Otto M

VP Biden was unprofessional and he gets annoying. I'm trying to hear what both sides are trying to say but the VP keeps interrupting. He can't seem to follow simple directions of the debate. I was gonna vote for Obama/Biden but I don't know now.

October 11, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  12. Larry L

@4YouFromTexas

Biden's smirks and grins looked like he wasn't taking this serious. OF COURSE HE HAD CONTROL over the debate, anyone would if they continually interrupt and loudly voice an opinion over the other, very unprofessional and very rude on Biden's part.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Translation: Joe didn't let Lyin' Ryan get away with lies like Romney did in the first debate. Once again – Republicans offered nothing in the way of specifics. This debate was a disaster for the Rob-Me Romney/Lyin' Ryan ticket!

October 11, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  13. Rudy

Joe Biden just lied and said administration did not get requests for additional aid for Ambassador in Libya. Even Ryan was shocked. Can't believe he just said that...amazing....

October 11, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  14. Debra White

Biden won. He was more professional and honest. There are some who no matter what, want to give credit to the lame dishonest Republican team. Scare tactics are a tool used by the Republicans. I believe Romney and Trump have bought the media!

October 11, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  15. NameBryan Unger

It's just sad that both parties have done nothing but divide the american people. When will someone step foward and unite us.

October 11, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. Judy

Biden had facts and found Ryan hysterical Ryan was rejersed

October 11, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  17. Felicia

VP Joe Biden won with out a daught, Ryan lied so much lol that's why Biden laughed and roll his eye's Romney and Ryan are LIARS, bottom line.

October 11, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  18. Alyssa

Biden won. I wonder if CNN skillfully polled another group of conservatives/moderates who were all above the age of 50?

October 11, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  19. Larry L

@Md

------------------------------------------------
    I'll bet you were okay with the lies and distortions Romney got away with in the first debate – because the President was more respectful. You're whining. Ryan got spanked!

October 11, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  20. Jameel

Biden won hands down.

October 11, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  21. Bob

There really wasn't much to learn from tonight's debate, other than that fact that Biden is truly a flaming a-hole. I had thought that Dan Quayle took the prize for least capable VP in my lifetime, but Biden clearly owns that distinction. Biden gets an "F-", the moderator a "F", and Ryan a "C-". Very little of substance was debated.

October 11, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  22. Ron

I believe Joe Biden won the debate. J. Biden has the experience and care for middle class.

October 11, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  23. Carl

it was a tie.. Ryan has a vision for the future, Biden although seems to believe his politics and seems to be a real kind-of-guy, the facts are they don't work and have not worked.. Current foreign policy makes us weak and encourages more terror attacks, current admin lied about terrorist attack blamed it on a stupid video and raising taxes on the job creators will not grow the economy and create jobs - lowering taxes gives businesses capital to invest in growth and more jobs which gives more taxes to the government to cut the deficit. Simple math.. If you cut off the hand that feeds you, we all starve and we're tired of starving... Ryan may be young, but he's smart and energetic and has a plan that will put Americans back to work...

October 11, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  24. OnlySCdem

Ryan reminds me of Squidward. Look this guy has no real ideas. He and Romney can spout off about what they would have done, but I'd really like to hear what they will do. Not gonna get much there though, cuz they've got nothin!

October 11, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  25. Name

Yes he was a bit pushy but he seemed more real than Ryan. Ryan seemed to be remembering what he practiced in front of a mirror. I felt Biden talked to me and not the mirror at home

October 11, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |