Biden: 'You ever seen me rope-a-dope?'
October 11th, 2012

Biden: 'You ever seen me rope-a-dope?'

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden indicated he expects to go toe-to-toe with his rival, Rep. Paul Ryan, during Thursday's only vice presidential debate in Kentucky.

Departing for the debate from the National Guard base in New Castle, Delaware Thursday Biden said he's "looking forward" to the faceoff, according to pool reports.

Tune to CNN for Thursday's vice presidential debate coverage starting at 7 p.m. ET on CNN TV, CNN.com and via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Web users can become video editors with a new clip-and-share feature that allows them to share favorite debate moments on Facebook and Twitter.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Asked by a reporter if his debate strategy was the boxing tactic known as "rope-a-dope" the 69-year-old, former Senator Biden replied, "You ever seen me rope-a-dope?"

The rope-a-dope strategy–famously used by boxing legend Muhammad Ali in a match against the younger George Foreman in 1974–is a method of tiring out the opponent, resting against the ropes and blocking punches as the opponent wears himself out.

Ryan, who is 27 years Biden's junior, said in an exclusive interview with CNN's Dana Bash he's not intimated by Biden's age.

"I'm actually excited about it," said Ryan of the vice presidential debate. "I came to Congress when I was 28 years old. I'm used to debating people who are older."

Ryan noted, however, that one of the reasons his team chose Ted Olson, a conservative legal scholar, to play the role of Biden in debate preparation is because he is "about Joe's age."

Fittingly, the vice presidential candidates will square off Thursday in Danville, Kentucky - Ali's home state. CNN's coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET.

CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Vice presidential debate
  1. Canada trusts Obama and Biden

I predict Biden will defeat Ryan by the same margin or worse than pundits claim Romney did in the 1st debate only he will do it in a factual way. Ryan has shown when challenged he stumbles. I expect Ryan to fall flat on his face and respond like the inexperienced pretender that he really is.

October 11, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Laverne

This should be entertaining if nothing else!

October 11, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  3. America Doesn't Trust Candians

Biden could very well be the best comedy on TV tonight. Debates aren't about facts...a large majority are apolotical and don't know fact from fiction. Style will count more and the following day's headline will count even more.

October 11, 2012 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Tmonster

No I have never seen you rope a dope. But I have seen you step on your --

October 11, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Babyboomer

I like VP Biden and I don't trust Ryan as far as I can throw him but I still want to hear what they have to say. Should be interesting.

October 11, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. Fact

Amazing that Biden would even use the term "rope-a-DOPE". Why would he want to call attention to HIMSELF in this manner? Is there ANYONE who does not associate that word with Biden?

October 11, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. yasmine

Biden can be aggressive... without being labeled as "an angry black man".... and since he had to be the gentleman against Palin.........................I hope he is unleased

October 11, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Malory Archer

Lookin' forward to it, Handsome Joe!

October 11, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Malory Archer

Fact

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't, nor do the majority of Americans who don't treat political campaigns like a football game.

October 11, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Go Joe!
    OBAMA? BIDEN!

October 11, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Doug

The price you pay when all you tell is lies. Obama and Biden have been spewing lies forever, but when the people you are hating and lying about are next to you and can counter your bs with the truth, like Romeny did to Obama during the 1st debate, you lose your cool and becoming a stumbling, bumbling idiot.

People like Malory Archer lib treat the constitution like a piece of toilet paper, but a majority of Americans have good in their hearts and are honest, so supporting the Democrats contradicts their moral character.

The Democrat party, where evolution is going from burning crosses to making wearing one illegal.

October 11, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. bill1942

I've seen Uncle Joe act like a dope. He may just be the best free show in town.

October 11, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. me

Biden IS a dope

October 11, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Hank

I don't think I've seen Biden "rope" but I've definitely seen him as "a-dope."

October 11, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. 4moreyears

@Fact
    It's amazing how you read the article but didn't read it. Biden did not mention Rope-a-dope the reporter asked him the question and he replied by saying have you ever seen me rope – a – dope. Reading is fundamental you know. LOL

October 11, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. Dean

Biden = (rope-a-dope) – rope.

October 11, 2012 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Doug

Joe's chance of winning is a percent equal to the percentage of his yearly income that he gives to charity.

Yup, old Joe like all Democrats is greedy and doesn't want to help anyone for real, just make them slaves to a Statist Marxist government of hate that strips of our rights unless we conform to their hate and lies.

Like Obama, Joe will be made a fool if he tries to spew those DNC talking points lies as well.

October 11, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. durundal

Joe's a scrapper, but I dont think he will be prepared for the likes of this. You cant debate a serial con

October 11, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Put Ryan on the ropes

Biden is going to give the kid a debate lesson.

October 11, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  20. tuscany590

He looks dazed already.

October 11, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Core republican Values

I admire and trust Joe Biden. His a good and honorable man.

Paul Ryan on the other hand is a narrow minded, misogynistic lying bigot. Explain to us again, Mr. Ryan, how your vouchers save medicare but don't cut my medicate benefits? Are your vouchers magic? Or are you lying to us you creep?

October 11, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. BLKMANinAmerica

You go JOE, America's best VP. Give him heck Joe!

October 11, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Critical Thinking

Joe, I've only seen dope-a-dope from you.

October 11, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. Phil Thomas

Malory Archer
    Fact

-------------------------------------------------
    Wow well said Mallory, the idiots who pull the same lever every year have no idea how much damage they will do in this election cycle to themselves. I've voted for a lot of RNC folks over the years but these guys will do damage to the Middle Class. There are just so many people with thier head in the sand tuning in to Partisan Channels for news

October 11, 2012 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  25. The Chief

Biden is a dope, but I doubt he will be on the ropes like Obama was with Romney. How did we elect these two dopes? Hopefully they will hold this one at sea level, so they won't have any excuses. All Biden has to do to win is answer: Why Obama gave Goldan Sachs and friends TRILLIONS? Why he stayed in the war and spent TRILLIONS? Why he is the first president to try to divide our country? Why he focused on Health Care for 2 years and not on creating jobs? No problem!!

October 11, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |