October 11th, 2012

Obama: 'could not be prouder' of Biden debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama called Vice President Joe Biden shortly after Thursday's vice presidential debate, and told reporters that he "could not be prouder" of his running mate.

"I'm going to make a special point of saying I thought Joe Biden was terrific," he told reporters after Air Force One landed near Washington. "I could not be prouder of him. I thought he made a very strong case. And you know I really think that his passion for making sure that the economy grows for the middle class came through so I'm really proud of him."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

It is highly unusual for Obama to approach reporters in this fashion after deplaning.

Obama also posted a tweet to his official Twitter feed after the debate.

"Tonight proved once again that you won't find a better and more tireless advocate for the middle class than @JoeBiden. -bo #TeamJoe," he wrote.

Obama was to watch at least part of the debate while flying back from Florida, where he held an earlier campaign fundraiser in Miami.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Willy

I like Joe. After all, I like time travelers and if Joe can have dinner with a friend just the other day at a diner that has been closed for twenty years...what's not to like? Being proud of Joes performance says a lot. I will say this, I watched Joe as a heart beat away from the presidency and imagined him speaking with foreign dignataries as he sat on the television screen not in control of his own face. Joe was nothing to be proud of and it is too bad because I like his fitred and what he has to say- when he's accurate. But, sorry, I prefer a little more self-control and I wanted to see a debate of ideas- not childish grade school tactics to belittle an oponent with faces and laughter. Hmmm...proud? Of what- doing what he is told nomatter how silly?

October 12, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Fairvet

As I reflect from the VP debate and look back at the past 4 years, I can honestly say I have made a decision on who to support in the Nov 6 election. I am a third generation military veteran and we have a daughter presently serving this great country as a fourth generation military person who has had one Middle East deployment thus far. I did not feel secure listening to Mr. Ryan about his take on what the US responsibility in the Middle East should be. As for the past 4 years the facts are simple, Mr. Obama verbally over committed and underdelivered with perhaps an optimistic view that all in Congress would work together. Fact, Mr. Obama entered office with national debt and extreme job loss and a very poor stock market. Fact, the leader of the Republican Party made a statement making it clear there would be no support for Mr. Obama as he wanted someone else in the White House. Fact, the most powerful talk radio Icon made a statement that he hoped that President Obama failed. I have supported both Dem and Rep over the years as I am a true independen votert. I await Colin Powell to weigh in as I am a true Powell supporter, until he does my support will be for Obama/Biden. Keep in mind if Powell was on the ticket with McCain I do not think we would be having this conversation.

October 12, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Scott

Funny. We expect politicians to be civil when we don't seem to be able to even muster something like it. Biden had better talking points, but came across as disrespectful and rather rude at times. Ryan wasn't fabulous, but he performed adequately. Period. I'm sick to death of this "well, Republicans were rude way back when"; "well, Democrats are just name-callers and disrespectful". Come on, people, let's not stoop to this level. Let's prove that we can hold civil conversation about an interesting debate without sounding like the politicians who have set such a low standard.

October 13, 2012 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  4. oceanfire

we already have most sophisticate weapon in the world.

October 13, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  5. jackcdean

still say that when the V.P. says "we did not know" about the security issue in Libya-If not why did they not know. The Pres. is always saying "I am the President" The buck stops here. Well Mr. President the buck should stop with you for the security issue in Libya.
    With all due respect Mr. V.P. you looked like a Goof Ball during debate.

October 13, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |