October 11th, 2012

Obama: 'could not be prouder' of Biden debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama called Vice President Joe Biden shortly after Thursday's vice presidential debate, and told reporters that he "could not be prouder" of his running mate.

"I'm going to make a special point of saying I thought Joe Biden was terrific," he told reporters after Air Force One landed near Washington. "I could not be prouder of him. I thought he made a very strong case. And you know I really think that his passion for making sure that the economy grows for the middle class came through so I'm really proud of him."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

It is highly unusual for Obama to approach reporters in this fashion after deplaning.

Obama also posted a tweet to his official Twitter feed after the debate.

"Tonight proved once again that you won't find a better and more tireless advocate for the middle class than @JoeBiden. -bo #TeamJoe," he wrote.

Obama was to watch at least part of the debate while flying back from Florida, where he held an earlier campaign fundraiser in Miami.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Dennis1020

Reading through some of htese posts, I am somewhat amused by the comments some obvious Republicans have made about Joe being "rude." This coming from the same party who giggled with glee when a Republican Congressman yelled "you lie" at the President in a joint session of Congress, the same Party whose Senate Minority Leader said on Day 1 of President Obama's term that his job was to ensure the President only served one term (more important, apparently, than doing the Nation's work), and the same Party who has questioned the President's birthplace. The anger and disrespect Republicans have shown President Obama is uncivilized and, I dare say, borne of racism.

October 12, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. Scott

Of course BoBo is proud that Bumbling Biden didn't lose as bad as BoBo did ;)

Scott

October 12, 2012 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. NOTU

1. Someone PLEASE tell me what Paul Ryan lied about?
    2. Please tell me what Obama/Biden's plan was?

October 12, 2012 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Sivick

Biden floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee! They've been spouting lies all campaign, nail em to the wall with em!

October 12, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Randy

At least Biden talked to people with SPECIFICS and with common sense. Ryan was the same old "trust me" game. Never giving a specific answer as to how he"d pay for things. Never being able to defend his position on Medicare/Medicaide and how it would affect Seniors. I do hope Undecideds and Uncommitteds were tuning in and listening in–this was a rare occasion where the VP debate might really swing some votes, and there are precious few votes to be changed at this point. Glad to see Joltin' Joe not let Ryan get away with a lie, but to jump right in. He provided the road map, and that's exactly what Barack needs to do-in a Presidential sort of way. "Folks, this will not work, and let me tell you why..." or "There you go again....flip-flopping & pretending to be on both sides of the issue"....or "Ladies, and young women out in the audience or at home, you need to know that this man will want to take away your control and decision-making power over your own bodies!"

October 12, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  6. Freedom

How could anyone be proud of a Vice President that embarrassed the VP office so badly? How could you be proud of a VP that laughs at Iran getting nukes and people dying in Libya? The President and VP Biden don't seem to understand we are in terrible trouble with our economy and in the Middle East. We live in the real world and they do not.

October 12, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. Vivian

I could'nt agree more with the President on how the Vice President Biden handled the dabate, emphsising on making the middle class stronge. In my opinon the the Vice President won the debate 100 percent, because he provided more facts and evidence than his opponent. I dont know where you are getting your polling information, they are definitlty inaccurate!

October 12, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. ted

Joe Biden did a great job kicking Rmoney/lyingryan to the curb. Great job Joe for going after Ryan when he was talking and not making sense and making up his own facts to fit his polices. Ryan is not VP material.

Thanks, Joe.

October 12, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  9. Mother of 4

What is wrong with you crazy Biden supporters. He lied about Libya. This administration lied and then laughed about the death of 4 Americans. Wake up!

October 12, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. steve berryhill

I am VERY proud of Vice- President Biden...He whipped the TAR out of Ryan...any one with ears or eyes could tell You that. You repukes keep mewling and bawling about rudeness...rudeness! Give Me a break..there's the pot calling the kettle black. You as a party have consistently shown gross disrespect to the office of the President...as well as the President Himself...Go pound sand and cry your crocodile tears You gaggle of Whining fascists..Mitt Romney exhibited nothing but Rudeness in the Presidential debate...I believe You all refered to that display as "assertiveness"..I call it more well coached, well lubricated ,weather vane twisting, half truths and blatant falsehoods are all your crummy gang can regurgitate...You can't tell the truth because You know there is no way in the world anyone with half a mind would vote for you. So go on...spin away...cry your eyes out. I will recline here with the deep satisfaction of knowing on Nov 7th You will cry even harder and I will revel in the immense PRIDE I feel for Our Vice-President..Joe Biden.

October 12, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Travis B

Are you kidding me??? Ryan as his defense sat there and said "In the Allotolayah eyes" as if he knows what an Allotaloyah is thinking in Iran. The guy is a muslim and a killer and Ryan somehow tries to identify with him after Biden kicked him to the curb on the issue. That's why Biden was laughing and smiling you dumb rear-end republistupids. I can't beleive how many dumb people exsist in this country. What a disgrace go castrate yourselves until you just turn blue and fall o fhe earth and make room for smarter more intelligent beings to replace your disgusting and heartless exsustence. Your a disgrace to the entire nation right now. Just ask anyone else in the world watching al lhis and they will tell you Republicans are stupid and disgraceful and just downright stupid. And you are!

October 12, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. wjnccartan

Wait for it, wait for it, whhheeew, there it is more gas from the republican cronies.

Just think where America would be today if republicans had of maintained control of the white house, down the toilet along with the rest of the verbiage that's coming out of Romney and Ryan's pie holes.

The fact that this two are even taken seriously by anyone is distrubing, but I guess they have that sort of fan base, so no big surprise there. Look papa Geppato no strings, and they still behave like puppets.

Silly people, I think you've had to much of the republican koolaid, congressman Broun, sits on the government science committee and goes home to Georgia and tells a church group "there was no big bang, evolution is a lie". Another unit saying women who are raped don't get pregnant because they have magic juices that will stop that from happening.

These are the people you are willing to stand behind, really, I mean come on really. So understanding history and facts isn't a big priority with your group.

You accuse democrates of blindly following a leader, well stand back and take a good look at yourselfs, not a pretty picture.

When your clay leader actually finds a mold gives us a call, we have a few suggestions. Now get out from under your rocks and go find a library, there are books in there that may help in four years but only if you work real hard. Don't worry nobody will try and take your special helmuts.

Lucid One

October 12, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. Rick

In the most important debate of his political career, the Vice President decided it was acceptable to make the discussion a "laughing matter". In his duties as Vice President, or should he be required to assume the duties of the President, do we want a person that considers the most important discussions and decisions of his office to be a "laughing matter", condescending and rude to the listener who could very well be a very sensitive and volatile adversary? Or, do we want a level-headed, respectful, and polite champion for our best interests that is a gentleman with decorum and basic manners?

October 12, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  14. Concerned Voter

I admit I've never much cared for Biden, I find him to be overbearing and rude...With that said, My girlfriend and I were watching the debate last night and she was practically throwing things at the TV....She's never seen much of Biden and she did not like him at all. She thought he was incredibly disrespectful, and did not act like you would expect a VP to act. She even questioned if he was on drugs....I think Biden did himself a real disservice last night. People who were on the fence and not committed, he may have lost a great deal of those folks.

October 12, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Nospam2

Of course Obama was happy, Biden just continued the course of saying nothing meaningful and attack anyone that doesn't agree with you, even though you haven't said anything to agree with.

October 12, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. Dana Spring

I can't see how anyone could claim a victory in this debate. Both parties were rude. They talked over each other and over the moderator. I was frankly embarassed by their lack of dignity and common courtesy. Their behavior was unacceptable for anyone, let alone someone seeking a national office.

October 12, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. Mike500

Hey Randy, how specific was 'hope and change'?

October 12, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. Angelo

Joe Biden knows foreign affairs, tax, middle class and poor people. Ryan knows Big Corporations and their desires, the rich and how to lie. Biden was an absolute winner in the debate and his laughing was from Ryan lack of almost all knowledge of things worldly and domestic. Not to mention the changes of his positions since becoming a running mate of the guy that buys companies sells them off by pieces and ships the jobs overseas while getting paid by China for sending them our jobs. Why is it most Republicans vote against America in every election. Can you say General Motors?

October 12, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. rburnsdirect

From a US Soldier view. I'm severing my country. I do what I'm ask of we all are. But what I got from Ryan is he would send us in harms way without thinking it all the way through. Ryan mad a comment to the VP that the commander and chief pulled out American Soldiers & left us out to dry, That we are not patrol East Afghanistan. I kept hearing the VP say the American soldiers train the the Afghan Army to do those Patrol. Ryan seem to argue that America should do those patrols. We should brings us home, we did the job, we kill the leaders, we can't be the police for some other country. With Iran the only person I give credit to is the VP is son is one of us.. Look I'm telling you we real have to think about who we vote into office. I believe in my soul that if Rommy gets into office we will strike Iran or let Israel strike them which will start a Middle East War that will produce Rommy 12 million jobs, but send me & your son's to fight, last time I check Rommy son are not in the military at all. Just a thought

October 12, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  20. rburnsdirect

Last thing no person or court should have the right to tell someone else what do to with their body. That is up to the person & whoever they answer to spiritual. Not long ago women had no rights to vote, some Men today still thing women should be barefoot and pergnect. Again I would listen to both parties, because whoever gets into the office the Supreme Court will change and ruling from them will got toward your daughter now and down the road. See both parties need to turn around before they start the debate and read whats on the wall " WE THE PEOPLE, is the most powerful statement.

October 12, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

Both VP Biden and Congressman Ryan did well at the VP debate. Biden was bold and forceful and Ryan was well prepared and gave a good showing. Those who say Biden was rude - I ask you where have you been since the President was elected and the Republicans treated him so badly right from the start? The Pres. was not yet moved into the White House and Mitch McConnell stated proudly that this Congress would not work with this President and would do everything possible to make him fail knowing that if he failed, the country would fail. and the country was on the brink of disaster thanks to Bush. Right there this long-time Republican lost all respect for the Party and never again voted for a Republican for any office. The racial overtones from the R's has been clear – it appears they feel no Democrat, especially an African-American Democrat, should ever deserve sit in the White House. How the once-proud Republican party has fallen.

October 12, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  22. Valerie

Vote Republican if you want more tax cuts for the rich. Vote Republican if you want the decision on what to do if you are raped taken from you, from your family and from your doctor and given to your Republican legislator. Vote Republican if you want eveyone carrying a gun and armed to the teeth. Vote Republican if you want it to still be legal for women to be paid less salary than a man doing the exact same job. Vote Republican if you want this country to be in war with Syria or Iran within six months of Romney taking office. Vote Republican if you want the good will and respect restored by President Obama, after eight disasterous years of Bush/Cheney, to be diminished by the actions of the Republican party. Love this country, love your freedom to live your own life – Vote Democratic!!!

October 12, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. An Independent Voter

Both men did well but VP Biden spoke authoritatively and from experience while a much younger Ryan seemed to be speaking in sound-bites he had memorized. I asked myself if I am better off now than I was four years ago and the answer is yes. Pres. Obama, with no help from the R's, has turned the country from the cliff and have us headed back to prosperity. I know where the President stands on important issues but Gov. Romney, a good man, has been on every side of every issue several times, Is he the very conservative Republican Tea-partier or the moderate, reasonable former Gov. of Mass? Just can't tell and I am not willing to take a chance. My vote goes to Obama/Biden.

October 12, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Tony

Interesting pattern emerging from those who criticize Romney/Ryan and their 'lack of details'. Perhaps lessons in LISTENTING are needed for them. Time and again, they state they are bringing a FRAMEWORK to the table and expect the Congress to come together and 'fill in the box'.

This indicates the right's willingness to reach across the isle and avoid the 'ram it down your throat' approach repeatedly utilized by the current administration.

If people are SERIOUS about turning this nation around, they would refuse the tired SOCIAL arguments used to divide and distract, and instead demand leadership on the ECONOMY, NATIONAL SECURITY, and DEBT.

The choice is clear: Stop behaving like 'hatin' children' who REQUIRE a nanny state or restore our founding principles.

Vote wisely, America.

October 12, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  25. tom

sorry tony, I think it indicates that they are not sure about what they're proposing, especially regarding economy and debt. their flimsy 'framework' can hardly be called something worth bringing to the table. national security isn't in doubt any more than it ever was, and neither president is going to make a huge difference in that regard. as far as the 'ram it down your throat approach', I've read that in far more than one place today, and it doesn't make sense in any of them. if you want people to vote wisely so much why don't you try giving some sage advice instead of regurgitating inane campaign slogans and one-liners

October 12, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |