October 11th, 2012

Obama: 'could not be prouder' of Biden debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama called Vice President Joe Biden shortly after Thursday's vice presidential debate, and told reporters that he "could not be prouder" of his running mate.

"I'm going to make a special point of saying I thought Joe Biden was terrific," he told reporters after Air Force One landed near Washington. "I could not be prouder of him. I thought he made a very strong case. And you know I really think that his passion for making sure that the economy grows for the middle class came through so I'm really proud of him."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

It is highly unusual for Obama to approach reporters in this fashion after deplaning.

Obama also posted a tweet to his official Twitter feed after the debate.

"Tonight proved once again that you won't find a better and more tireless advocate for the middle class than @JoeBiden. -bo #TeamJoe," he wrote.

Obama was to watch at least part of the debate while flying back from Florida, where he held an earlier campaign fundraiser in Miami.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Victory

Biden did oustanding job. People se how Ryan drible questions. Republican do not have any detail plan. Now they share Obama's agenda to leave Afganistan in 2014, Ballout of Detroit, "Abortion is Abortion". Flip-Flopping from severly conservative to severly liberal in less than 3 months. Untrustful. Bravo Biden. Obama/Biden 2012

October 12, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  2. Woman In California

Well I think Biden said it well tonight when he said who do you trust more with the middle class? Neither Ryan or Willard know the meaning of the word and are only using it now that it's been bought to their attention. I'm not buying it and neither will the voters in November.

October 12, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  3. hailey madison

I was one that can honestly say that I was undecided until tonights debate. I will definitely be voting Romney/Ryan. Joe Biden really irked me! He was rude, and appeared a little insane with his quirky smile and big white false teeth. Ryan appeared rather classy and intelligent.

October 12, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  4. Jordan

James Rogers, did you even watch either debate? Romney was talking all over both President Obama and the moderator throughout the entire debate without any regard to "whose turn" it was or the rules of the debate, and the weak moderator allowed him to do it. Romney did this because he did not want to allow Obama to make his points. Biden cut in to correct Ryan's numerous lies, and boy were there ever a lot of them, as expected. Those are two completely different scenarios, one with a opportunistic former governor apparently who intended to win at all costs, and one vice president who showed he was fully prepared to fight for his boss and make sure the true policies of both campaigns were put out there.

October 12, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  5. Ashamed

All of you nitwits congratulating Biden, grow up. The man was completely disrespectful and ignorant. Maybe it was because he didn't have a fat biker in his arms. Maybe it was because he forgot that he sometimes has a southern accent. Either way he acted like a child, and he acted immaturely. Whether or not you think whomever won, both sides have turned this into a smear campaign and tonight I see that this country is still headed down the drain no matter who wins.

October 12, 2012 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  6. stacy

Now I truely understand why Republicans want to cut funding for Education...
    They don't like it when they get Schooled !!!!!
    Great Job Biden !!!

October 12, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  7. manasse Habonimana

My question is where did you get those polls that suggest Ryan won tonight debate?

October 12, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  8. wjmccartan

I like the debate, it had much more life to it then the previous one. The moderator gave them a little wiggle room, but when she had to she controlled the debate very well.

I thought that the veracity with which Joe Biden let into Paul Ryan was exactly what was called for, it also seemed to take Mr. Ryan by surprise and it took him a few extra moments to get his feet back under him. I also noticed a change when it came to discuss foreign policy, the republican campaign was making a whole lot of noise about the fact that the President wasn't doing enough in the Middle East, and perhaps they should be doing much more in regards to Syria and Iran, but on both fronts Mr. Ryan pulled back from the rhetoric that both men on the repulican ticket.
    Mr. Biden acquitted himself with the skills and knowledge that come from experience. Well done.

Lucid One

October 12, 2012 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  9. AliciaMY

I suppose every parent is proud of their bully ... Or why would Obama congratulated Biden and his rude behavior.

October 12, 2012 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  10. Lee

wow no bias in this media outlet lets see if this even gets on sense its about how great Ryan did against crazy old Joe!

October 12, 2012 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  11. Dallas Jack

Biden destroyed Ryan. Even most conservatives are admitting it at this point. Lets stop crying that Biden was "mean" to Ryan and face up to the loss.

October 12, 2012 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  12. Pete

OBAMA 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

No liars please! Romney ryan need to give it up. The lies are disgusting.

October 12, 2012 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  13. Morning1Su,

Joe Biden was so compassionate. He really can relate to those who are suffering and those who really needs assistance in hard times. Americans how can you forget what the Republicans put us in four years ago. We were very lucky that President Obama took over and stablized our downfall. President Obama do not want to put our military in harms way. Why are you folks especially women, minorities, college students, blue collar workers, latinos, veterans, senior citizens listening to Mitt Romney. He has flip flopped so many times that what he promises the American people is MALARKI. How can some of you be so ungrateful. Everything is increasingly getting better. If you turn around and go back to the Republican way of doing things you are making a grave mistake. Michigan, Ohio how can you forget about the bailout of American automakers. I would rather go forward with President Obama than to chose Mitt or Paul.

October 12, 2012 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  14. Chris

Biden keeps yelling "get off my lawn, you scalliwags!" But he's yelling at an old curbside mail box, as Ryan sets out the probliems before us. Why did Joe think this was a good idea, tactically or strategically? I seriously don't know what he was thinking?

October 12, 2012 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  15. UJ

Bden did absolutely fabulous tonite.

October 12, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  16. Valar Morghulis

What else does one expect the president to say. This debate was a draw.

October 12, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  17. Real Independent

It looks like the only people writing in this forum are those already committed to one party versus the other. I thought Joe Biden seemed to be informed; however, his constant interruptions, side commentary, and facial mockery of his opponent detracted from the substance of the debate. I was happy to hear Radditz ask that question about the nature of the campaign this year, because Biden's behavior throughout the debate summarized, to me, the incredible disgrace of campaign tactics. I think independents like myself would have preferred a respectful debate in which each person could speak in turn and have opportunity to react to the opposition's statements without exhibiting disdain for the other. I didn't enjoy this debate because although it touched on important subjects, it felt like an argument that played out in my childhood between my sister and I in which the issues became muddled by the delivery and tone of our speeches. It's not about winning or losing. This election has truly saddened my patriotic heart. People have become so partisan that they are afraid and stray from the facts, Obama's record, and the condition of international affairs. The one issue I did have with the Vice President was his obvious and overt attempt to distance the Administration from the intelligence community in the case of the attacks on the consulate, the very same intelligence community that should be accredited with the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I also think he minimized the real threat that a nuclear Iran would be to the world. Ryan did not properly answer some questions, but when it came to the question of all questions, "What's worse, another war or Iran with nuclear weapons," the VP reiterated that the sanctions are working and that we shouldn't worry. The reality is that I am worrying, because if a failure on the part of the administration and intelligence community could result in the violent attacks we saw in North Africa, why would I trust the same officials in their reassurances that a nuclear Iran doesn't pose a threat?

October 12, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  18. joe

Romney to show his return!!!!
    Romney has no plan just empty words and promise. He is too old.

October 12, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  19. middleground

Both candidates did okay, I don't think there was a clear winner. However I was very put off by Biden's antics. Listening to him say who do you trust decided it for me. Romney saved the olympics, I'm willing to give him a chance to save America. I already gave Obama that chance and I personally am somewhat worse off than I was before he was in office... I believe the whole country is.

October 12, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  20. Getoverit

Funny, the CNN poll says Ryan won. Oh, by the way, can someone... anyone be specific about what Paul Ryan "lied" about? Nope, didn't think so.

October 12, 2012 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  21. Ericka Johnson

Joe did Awesome!!! I'm voting Obama/Biden 2012!!!!!!

October 12, 2012 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  22. Reapers

Honestly, JOE BIDEN was fantastic. He not only showed how passionate his ideas were but was able to convince the audience. Joe did much better.

October 12, 2012 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  23. Masunga

Thank you Biden. Obama it is your turn. I can sleep better tonight.

October 12, 2012 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  24. Nameronstratton

I would like to meet joe he is great.he cleaned ryans clock.joe kicks butt

October 12, 2012 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  25. Snedley Butler

Bumbling old Joe handed the GOP's wonder boy his posterior on a platter. No wonder they think he was rude.

October 12, 2012 01:20 am at 1:20 am |