October 11th, 2012

Obama: 'could not be prouder' of Biden debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama called Vice President Joe Biden shortly after Thursday's vice presidential debate, and told reporters that he "could not be prouder" of his running mate.

"I'm going to make a special point of saying I thought Joe Biden was terrific," he told reporters after Air Force One landed near Washington. "I could not be prouder of him. I thought he made a very strong case. And you know I really think that his passion for making sure that the economy grows for the middle class came through so I'm really proud of him."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

It is highly unusual for Obama to approach reporters in this fashion after deplaning.

Obama also posted a tweet to his official Twitter feed after the debate.

"Tonight proved once again that you won't find a better and more tireless advocate for the middle class than @JoeBiden. -bo #TeamJoe," he wrote.

Obama was to watch at least part of the debate while flying back from Florida, where he held an earlier campaign fundraiser in Miami.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. breathe deep

These debates aren't supposed to be about who wins and who loses, but about who presents the issues that are most important to American voters. While I don't think Biden did very well as to why I should vote for his ticket, I felt that Ryan did an even worse job at describing why I should vote for his ticket. It seemed like most questions that were answered by Ryan were, why they love America more and "freedom" and how that ticket was more centered on American values and "freedom" and that they love America more. All things that could've been answered by a telemarketing message left on the phones of potential voters. When you describe the United States policy of intervining in other countries policies as "protecting our nations interests", it smacks of putting our noses in places that it shouldn't be. If Lybia, Syria, Iran, Isreal, Egypt, etc., etc., want to battle it out in a 1000 year war, I say let em have at it. If I'm going to be forced to pay for the wars in Iraq that I didn't agree with, then you're going to be forced to pay for birth control that you don't agree with. Unless of course you're willing to go along with the "you're party strived for the spending, you're going to pay for the spending" tax policy in which you owe the American people about 11 trilion dollars, and which the other party owes the American people 5 trillion dollars. You can decide who you want to vote for.

October 12, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  2. willie

We should now know where the country will head toward by the choice we make this november. I dont also who debates better is an indication of who can lead this country in the right direction . In debate, we can only know who articulates better on issues, but articulating on issues is not an indication of even doing what you promise during electioneering campaign when you come to office. Obama promised healthcare reforms, he delivered it, he promised to bring Bin Laden to justice, he did it, and promise to bring the unemployment to under 8%, and he has done it. So what should justify throwing obama out of office, especially when the economic mess was delivered by republicans?

October 12, 2012 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  3. willie

We should now know where the country will head towards by the choice we make this november. I dont also think who debates better is an indication of who can lead this country in the right direction . In debates, we can only know who articulates better on issues, but articulating better on issues is not an indication of even doing what you promise during electioneering campaign when you come to office. Obama promised healthcare reforms, he delivered it, he promised to bring Bin Laden to justice, he did it, and promised to bring the unemployment rate to under 8%, and he has done it. So what should justify throwing obama out of office, especially when the economic mess was delivered by republicans. To say Obama is a joke is simply to say i dont like him and should be out of office regardless of how wonderful he has performed.

October 12, 2012 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  4. willie

we gave republicans 8yrs to mess us up, let's give the democrats the same to help us

October 12, 2012 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  5. Anonymous

BIDEN knew what his was talking about. Ryan did not have a clue abouy foreign policy. Women: beware the right to chose is in jeoperdy with these two extreme right wingers. Seniors: say goodby to social security and medicare. Romney will take us into another war. Romney and Ryan bad for the middle-class, bad for 47% of american people bad for all of us.

October 12, 2012 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  6. Marilyn

It looked like it was difficult for Biden to stay quiet when Ryan kept lying and changing words so they sound better to Americans. Thanks Biden for not letting this guy screw America. Thanks for pointing out his blatant lies.

October 12, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  7. Lindsay Jenions

Excellent debate Joe Biden!, winner without a doubt. Many of Ryan's responses, particularly for the first half hour at least, came across to me as embarrassingly childish without sufficient understanding or knowledge of topics & situations & he is most definitely NOT Vice Presidential material.

October 12, 2012 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  8. cm

Moving Forward

October 12, 2012 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  9. ronvan

QUESTION: Does ANYONE really think that whoever is president that they are going to solve alll of our problems overnight? Lets not forget that until BOTH parties start working TOGETHER, and STOP saying NO just because of their parties PERSONAL goals, nothing will get solved. We are pretty familiar with Biden, and MOST say that he "tells it like he feels", so when he smiles, raises his hands, etc., we complain! And then listen to what they said. Nothing new, for me, just the same old stuff put in a different way! Don't WE realize by now that politicians will lie, or manipulate the truth to suit their agenda, and that WE come in a distant 4th in their plans?

October 12, 2012 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  10. E. Ortiz

I think the Debate was Great but I feel the winner was Joe Biden and I liked how he even checked Paul Ryan about how they opposed the Bailout yet Paul Ryan ASKED FOR SOME OF THAT BAILOUT MONEY IN 2 LETTERS!!!!!! :-)

October 12, 2012 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  11. ridgewayVol

From these comments it's clear some people will do drugs despite the fact they are illegal. They'll probably vote early and often too.

October 12, 2012 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  12. chuck

GOOD JOB JOE< we need assertiveness at this point to cut through the BS, runs deep with Ryan/Romney.He really flubbed afganistan discussion,, a palin moment...

October 12, 2012 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  13. Samuel Yap

Both Biden and Ryan did a solid yeoman's job in the VP debate, and both deserve kudos. It is hard to see who "won" the debate. It was more an exchange of positions on several important matters. What stood out for me was the sudden changes in the Romney camp on many issues. Some of these look like attempts to make Romney more palatable and likeable to the middle class, and does not really come from the heart. The 47% Romney remark made to a small and affluent group in private would really reflect his thinking on the matter, rather than the later expansive remark that he cares for all Americans which seems to me is for expedient political consumption. Romney has changed positions on many matters. This raises the question on whether or not he acts out of principle or from expediency.

October 12, 2012 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  14. mike t

Have you ever noticed how when someone talks sh-t they smile and smirk alot?

October 12, 2012 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  15. Robert

This administration is so full of a sses from the President on down to the vice-President.

October 12, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  16. smsundara

Ryan and Romney cannot be big picture guys and leave details to others, we need leaders who pay attention to details. Biden brought the issue of lack of details into the forefront now, Romney will have to spend all the time now getting into details and lose the election. Very clear victory to Joe Bide.

October 12, 2012 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  17. Monica

Funny how neither CNN or the Republicans can print or say, "Joe Biden won the debate." In fact they print an absurb poll that shows Ryan won, which is clearly against there own reader comments! Ironically, callind Romney the winner last week was no problem at all! It makes me wonder CNN, who are you voting for?

October 12, 2012 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  18. smsundara

Facts matter, republicans lost the election today

October 12, 2012 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  19. Monica

Funny how neither CNN or the Republicans can print or say, "Joe Biden won the debate." In fact they print an absurb poll that shows Ryan won, which is clearly against their own reader comments! Ironically, calling Romney the winner last week was no problem at all! It makes me wonder CNN, who are you voting for? Finally, can you please print my comment, rather than vetoing it every time in "moderation".

October 12, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  20. PJ

@Bruce hamilton...No actually Biden made Jr. look like a joke.

October 12, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  21. DelawareDemocrat

Biden WON – he wasn't afraid to call Lyin' Ryan out on his GOP lies.

October 12, 2012 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  22. Fred from Canada

As I watched the debate, I was concerned over Mr. Biden's style and worried that his message might get lost after the debate because people might focus on his interruptions and grining jestures....On substance I thibk Biden done very well and I believe this would not have been a draw if he had been more composed.... On the other hand Ryan did better then I expected in tone and composure but I thought he lacked the substance....Two stark choices and as an outsider my wish is that Obama and Biden get elected... I am concerned that Roomney and Ryan may lead the US to another middle east engagement and I don't think the US or the world needs this... Let diplomacy takes it's course and if that does not work then let the Arab countries with UN support take the lead role in any required interventions... I would also be concerned that Ryan and Rommney would let their religious passions afect their policy decisions and they have to remember not everyone is christian or see the world through their lens...

October 12, 2012 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  23. Maria

Obama tells Biden to jump- Biden tells Obama "How High"

October 12, 2012 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  24. Maria

It's about time Biden did something- he hadn't done anything in 4 years!

October 12, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  25. Bill

If fake, forced smiles made money, Biden would be a billionaire.

October 12, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |