Scranton and compare and contrast strategies
October 11th, 2012

Scranton and compare and contrast strategies

Danville, Kentucky (CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden often references his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania on the campaign trail as he tries to connect with middle class voters.

Tonight, a Romney-Ryan campaign official tells CNN that they are prepared if Biden brings up Scranton in the debate.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"If the Vice President tries to emphasize his roots in Scranton to relate to people struggling in the Obama economy, expect that Paul Ryan will mention that the unemployment rate in Scranton was 8.5% when Barack Obama took office, it's now 10%," said the official. "They can't say people in Scranton are better off than they were four years ago."

An Obama-Biden campaign official said they don't necessarily view this debate as a match-up between Vice President Biden and Congressman Ryan, but rather expect Biden to draw clear contrasts between the Romney-Ryan plans and the Obama-Biden vision for the future. And expect the vice president to talk about what the president has done on behalf of the middle class.

"This is about two dueling visions for the future, and tonight the vice president is going to make that case," said the official.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Thom Real American patriot

Romney and Ryan will be far worse than GW Bush if allowed near the Whiite House. Ryan is the male version of Sarah Palin. Americans ha better think twice before allowing themselves to be lied to by Mitt Romney. Some Americans can
    afford to survive a Romney presidency. A lot of others won't be able to. Better vote like you're on our own. Obama 2012.

October 11, 2012 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. donna

Biden should not laugh and mock his opponent while Ryan is giving his answer.

October 11, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  3. Borderless

Moderator doing great job. Yay! Zinger of the year delivered by Ryan. "I think the vice president knows something about the words not coming out the way you want." Biden's response:"I always say what I mean." That's scary.

October 11, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  4. Linda

Biden is childish. He takes nothing seriously. Four more years of this....all Obama does is follow gimmicks.

October 11, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  5. Borderless

Biden is pretty much gaffe free so far. However his smirks and interruptions are making him look unprofessional and nasty. Romney doing a great job putting his points forward WHILE BEING RESPECTFUL.

October 11, 2012 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. Borderless

the control group just isn't buying Biden's methods or his arguments. I will say he did pretty well on the subject of Iran.

October 11, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  7. Borderless

If Biden's objective was to stop Romney's momentum, he isn't doing it. If Ryan's objective is to increase Romney's momentum, he isn't doing it. I think aside from Biden coming off as a jerk this is pretty much a loss.

October 11, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  8. Name

Biden is an embarrassment. He is being childish and disrespectful with every smirk, laugh and interruption. Sad. Very sad that this man represents our country.

October 11, 2012 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  9. Name cesar

Biden is rude and constantly interupts ryan when its ryans turn. Be fair and allow each.other to talk

October 11, 2012 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. Borderless

Biden keeps whining for more time even though he has more time than Ryan. Wow, Biden is a horrible person.

October 11, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  11. Charlie from the North

Biden is crushing Ryan. and I like it because he deserves it.

October 11, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  12. Marie

I would laugh to if my opponent doesn't know how to answer the question. Romney and Ryan are not worth trusting. I'm concerned for future care for may parents and worried I will be low balled if left to rely on Romney and Ryan!

October 11, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. LIP

I just don't get it...Biden can interrupt, but Ryan can't and that ridiculous smile of Bidens...all the time, really.. This is not a debate, but rather a performance by VP Biden , staged from back to front. The first time I saw Biden was during the Senate approval of Clarence Thomas, Supreme court justice appointment by President GW Bush. It was a circus with Biden as the ring master. Clarence Thomas was and is a respectable human being, but the Democrat that says You all will be back in Chains was there administering the chains to Mr. Thomas and now he is making a mockery of the debate system.

October 11, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. Tony

Biden may not always use the right words, but he is honest. You can't say that about the Marathon Man.

October 11, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  15. Borderless

Nice to know that Biden is being honest when he's making racist remarks.

October 11, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  16. Name

Biden comes accross as very disrectful , not what i expect from a vice president...

October 11, 2012 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Woman In California

Right now, watching these debates, Ryan is getting CREAMED. The guy is so nervous about this lies, he can't stop drinking water. VP Biden has won this debate and it's not even over yet. Tonight the whole world knows the Ryan/Romney team is not even close to protecting this country and their plans (if any), for the economy are FAILURES.
    Great job Joe and if I could, I would kiss you right now.
    Signed a minority.

October 11, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. Anna

Biden comes accross as very condescending , not what i expect from my vice president!

October 11, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. Marie

Agreed this is not a debate this is a joke! Clearly Biden knows his facts, and that's what I want to know the facts and the truth. I don't need stories I don't need some mocking my intelligence by continue to run around the question. I don't care if their not respectful not each other I just want to know who I can trust and so far I'm even more convinced Romney and Ryan cant and won't help me. They don't know how to live paycheck to paycheck, can't afford tutition, & concerned what to eat the night.

October 11, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. Patrick in Wisconsin

Fired up, ready for Joe!

October 11, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  21. Thom Real American patriot

Ryan does not have the experience to be in the white house. He is kidding himself if he thinks otherwise. The calm we are
    feeling in this country is because of President Obama. The country is not perfect now, but at least its calm. There is not a sense of fear that the GOP likes to keep up just to push their war mongering agenda. Romney is like a mad man that is
    very dangerous to trust. He stands for NOTHING concrete and will say anything to gain power. I can see Romney now
    invoking a draft so that our children can be sent to fight Russia. The GOP depends on shallow Americans who can't or
    won't recognize truth to power.

October 11, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  22. Marie

Biden has the whipped the floor with Ryan. Lol... Romney's debate coach should have coached Ryan! Then maybe just maybe Ryan can win a topic! MAYBE!!!

October 11, 2012 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Shirley milkavich

Vice President Biden is coming across as though he is despairate to show his knowledge and protect the record of the current administration. However, his laughing and interruptions are not becoming.

October 11, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. GMH

Tired of Ryans interruptions. Snarky amature....and since when has Romney/Ryan showed even a small amount of respect for President Obama and Vice President Biden ??? Biden is coming across as a seasoned, knowledgeable statesman who is calling the Romney team on their inconsistencies and prevarications.

October 11, 2012 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. eric casey

Biden is so arrogant and disrespecful....Ryan for me won by far this debare

October 11, 2012 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |