October 12th, 2012

Feisty vice presidential debate sets up Obama-Romney rematch

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan hit the campaign trail on Friday after a combative debate in which they challenged each other's facts and claims while offering starkly different visions for the direction the country should follow.

In the lone debate between the vice presidential contenders, Biden achieved his goal of bringing the fight to his GOP foe in battling Ryan to a draw, boosting the spirits of Democrats disheartened by President Barack Obama's lackluster performance in the first presidential debate last week.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Paul Ryan • Presidential Debates
  1. yasmine

It was NOT a draw... Ryan got Schooled... Go Joe...

come on CNN get it together

October 12, 2012 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  2. Gurgyl

Mitt Romney is bunch of NONSENSE.

October 12, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  3. Undesided99

Way to go Mr. Vice President Joe Bidan!!!!!! Two Thumps UPPPPPP!!!!!
    I am one of the decided, but after watching Vice President Joe Bidden's performance, I was very impressed and sent his message so clear. So he got me ( I will going to vote now to democretic ticket). As far as, republicans are concern, they are lieing, hiding the facts, doesn't know, mathematics, These Republicans are hostaging the middle class (MIDDLE-CLASS KILLER) by huge margin of lies, cheats and deception.Bidar won in a very big mergin in yesterday's debate.

October 12, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  4. rosco

Its clear biden thinks unemp #s, dead ambassador & deficit are a joke. He really didnt have anything productive to say.

October 12, 2012 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Joe you did an OUTStANDING job setting Ryan straight on facts MULTIPLE times!
    Hell, you set the moderator straight at least twice that I noticed on foreign policy and the recommendations of the Chiefs of Staff.
    To be completely fair, however, having the expectation fulfilled that Ryan would be weaker than Biden on Foreign Policy and Medicare, I must say that Ryan held his own. He talked out of BOTH sides of his mouth as he is wont to do on a number of issues, equivocated, and of, course, was unable to give specifics as to how he would address the deficit, even when pressed by the moderator, but he stayed relatively calm through the ENTHUSIASTIC SCHOOLING that Biden put him through!
    I sent Biden my contribution DURING the debate.
    Well done Joe! Very well done!
    Obama 2012.

October 12, 2012 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

By the way, did anybody else see Ryan WIPE HIS FACE as soon as the debate ended, as if saying "Wheew, glad THAT'S over!"?
    Joe, on the other hand, looked fresh and ready to go for ANOTHER 90 minutes at the end.
    Chomping at the bit Joe was. Chomping at the bit!!
    Great job!
    Obama 2012.

October 12, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. Gimmeabreak!

Joe Biden is a disgusting example of what's wrong with Liberal politicians these days. All dentures, nothing real. I was so embarrassed for my country watching this idiot grimace like a stupid clown. Good heavens, we deserve better than that buffoon and his "master."

Romney/Ryan for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. Ben

Slow Joe was the normal Carnival act we see when he is in public. Snarling, smirking, interrupting and anything else to keep from discussing the 2nd set of Carter years. He reminded me of a car salesman.

October 12, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. rs

Yes, the debate was "fiesty", but largely because of the absolutely terrifyingly uniformed performance put forward by Ryan. Yes, we expect Mr Romney to be a policy lightweight, but Ryan was supposed to be the poicy wonk in charge of the facts. He did no better than Palin did against Biden 4 years ago.

Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan are starting to make Bush look good-THAT is very scary.

October 12, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  10. Skipper

I was very disappointed last night with the debate. I don't understand Why the VP composed in this manner, he made a full of himself. I still don't know his purpose. In my point of view he appeared to be very gay, or may be trying to attract the gay community. Another thing is the lying, why lie? when people know the truth. It would be much better to apologize for the all mistakes during the past four years. I am sorry Joe, but last night you put Obama deep in a hole. And you, Obama, if you want a second chance, better get another running mate

October 12, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. gt

uncle joe look like the joker with that evil smile......and being rude... like a old loud uncle who drinks to much at the family reunion and makes a fool out of himselve...and we just smile and hope he shuts up....

October 12, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. Four and The Door

Paul Ryan stepped up and showed why he is on the Republican ticket, why Mitt Romney will win in November and how the Romney Administration will make good things happen in Washington. Finally.

October 12, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  13. Gay Hollingshead

The debate was close to a draw. However Biden grinning,laughing and showing his mouth full of dentures was pretty bad. Also he interrupted way too much, but then he's trying to save his job of living off taxpayers.

Ryan has more class than this old man any day.How can he bold face lie and say more security wasn't asked for in Libya? Does he not even listening to the inquiry going on about the deaths of 4 brave americans? He is disgusting!!!

October 12, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  14. Anonymous

OMG, if that was a draw, then so was Custer's last stand!

October 12, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. Woman In California

One of the things I can't stand about Paul Ryan, is the way he refers to people under 55 as "youth". I have two sons in their twenties and I resent being considered a youth. By his low class standards, those of us 40 and over should be willing to just give up Medicare, work longer for retirement and get jobs real fast because we are so young? Someone needs to call him out on this. He is INSANE to even think ANYONE over this age can do these things so easily and once people settle down and figure out this is NOT in their best interest, they are going to cast him and Willard aside for good.

Congratulations to VP Biden once again, for a job well done. You did everything you needed to and much more and I, for one, appreciate your fight for me and my family.

October 12, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. Captain Awesome

I hope Biden won't be kissing any babies soon. That snarl and the big teeth would make babies cry.

..an ambassador died, obama lied....

October 12, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. anonoymous

I cant believe after last night's debate anybody could still support Romney/Ryan. I heard Ryan on more than one occassion told to be more specfic and he wasnt. I do believe they have a plan but if we the middle class knew it wouldnt. Unfortunately if some of the staunch republicans were told specificly we are going to screw you big tiime they would still vote for them! Only a fool would aacept vote for me now and I'll screw you later

October 12, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Hammerer

Proverbs 29:9
    If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.

So what else can be said?

October 12, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. rs

Rosco- How do you feel about our war dead in Iraq and Afghanistan? How about the 125,000 dead innocent Iraqis? Or the 2 million Iraqi refugees Bush and the GOP left in their wake?

Embassies are not armed encampments. They are places where diplomacy andactivities of the State Dept. occur. At least Mr. Obama has affirmed we will get those terrorists- Something neiher Bush or Romney would sign on for with Bin Laden.

October 12, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Patrick in Wisconsin

I love seeing conservatives go crazy over Biden's demeanor when their St. Romney did the exact same thing last week. Sore losers much?

October 12, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. RyanCrushedBiden

Biden can not defend Obamas Disastrous Policies. What Happen to 5.6 if the stimulis was Passed

October 12, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  22. Gurgyl

Obama, mitt is a tax-cheat, Bain-capital-get him, don't be polite–he is not your uncle–entire middle class America is for you and behind you.

October 12, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. Brendan

This was not a debate nor exchange of ideas, it consisted of Biden throwing out typical red herrings and then interrupting Ryan as he tried to respond. If you think "winning" means distracting Americans from what you are saying by laughing and smiling oddly while discussing serious topics then I would say Biden won. If you consider winning in a debate to be your ideas taking hold as the superior then there was clearly no winner in this debate.

October 12, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. al in memphis

Conclusion: Yes, the Fisker Karma is being built in Finland - but the government's support for Fisker was approved under a program signed by then-President George W. Bush, not through stimulus funds.
    I say we reduce the debates to a few questions and then spend more time with a fact check right after their response. I want to see right then and there whether either candidate is lying to me just to get in offices.

October 12, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  25. Four and The Door

rs
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    And your solution to the world problems still has Saddam Hussein in power and the Taliban running Afghanistan? The same guys who just tried to assassinate a 14 year old girl for defiantly going to school? And threatening to go after her again if she survives? These are the people Obama has been negotiating with. Women have no problem with that?

October 12, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |