Who won Thursday's debate? Martha Raddatz
October 12th, 2012

Who won Thursday's debate? Martha Raddatz

Washington (CNN) – At times it seemed as if Martha Raddatz, who moderated Thursday's vice presidential debate, was the third debater.

At other times she was the seasoned ABC News war correspondent who kept the two guys in suits taking snarky swipes at each other in line.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Paul Ryan • Presidential Debates
  1. jane

Good Job Martha!

October 12, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  2. Gurgyl

Joe Biden won. That idiot Paul Ryan is a very pathetic liar. Listen, Mitt is not even fit to be a "COOK" in the WH.
    PS: now this nation is on right track.

October 12, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  3. Matte

I have heard both sides talking about their plus an minus in the debate. clealy Joe Biden was the successor in the middle view. the first debate with the presidential candidates they did not like Obama's sour face and angry looks. we are already hearing the comments about Bidens laughing and joking looks. this is the same thing Rmoney did in the first debate and comments were he looked good and in control it was better to smile and joke than to look mean and angry. The independent student survey showed Biden as the clear winner with Ryan only credited with 30 percent or less effort for trying. this is exactly the way that I viewed the debate giving Biden 66 percent and Ryan 33 percent. Over all the topics, Biden out scored Ryan facts, directly answering the questions, and not side stepping the question.

October 12, 2012 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  4. GaffeMasterBiden

When Biden said the 47 percent Ryan should have came with Bidens Comment The Middle Class Has Been Buried The Last 4 Years

October 12, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  5. Matte

Biden declared overall winner in all catagories of the vice presidential debate. Biden looked more in control stating facts nad directly answering the questions. Ryan looked more like a little puppy that had lost his momma. Ryan looked like he could never be a leader of even a boy scout camp not having any leadership qualities. This is about the same opinion I had of Dan Quail. I would not trust Paul Ryan to be in charge of this country in any aspect what so ever. He is not ready and could never take over in case the President had been dissabled. This is a test of rediness and Paul Ryan failed in all aspects as vice presidential material.

October 12, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  6. wjmccartan

I don't know who cnn polled, but I think they probably had a panel in place to get their reactions. No way did Ryan come out ahead, Joe took him to task from start to finish, and it was obvious that Ryan spent most of his time trying to get his feet untangled to respond with some sort of clarity, it just never happened.

The moderator did a great job maintaining control of the debate.
    Martha Raddatz showed that although it isn't easy trying to make sure both participants get equal time, she was up to the task. A true professional, this shouldn't be surprising though when you take into account the amount of experience she has had working in much tougher environments.

Lucid One

October 12, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Tom (Atlanta)

Frankly I was embarrassed by our VP's behavior. People who are died-in-the-wool for the President might have loved it, but for me who wants to make a pragmatic choice of my leader, I was turned off. I was looking for a respectful intellectual discussion and our VP looked foolish which damaged his credibility. I personally give Ryan the win.

October 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Svetlana (California)

Ryan won and VP lost. VP is more experienced in bulling whereas Ryan scored in this important debate conducting as a professional politician. I cannot stand bullies, let alone the ones in the White House! I even didn't allow my son to watch this debate yesterday, but changed my mind today and we will watch it together to learn what NOT to do when debating the opponent. I was embarrased and could not concentrate on the discussion points.

October 12, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. Jimmy

Joe won hands down.

October 12, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. fllady

Biden was rude, disrespectful and he openly distained Ryan's comments. No wonder the two parties cannot agree on much of anything in Washington. Let's try a little intelligent conversation which might lead to a win-win compromise.Biden, the bully, really cannot accomplish anythng substantial. I was ashamed of our Vice-President.

October 12, 2012 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  11. Dan

Raddatz was a total joke. Not only did she fail to prevent Joe Biden from repeatedly interrupting Paul Ryan, but she also interrupted him plenty of times herself. It was plain to see where her sympathies lay, and for a debate moderator that is totally unacceptable. Ryan was actually debating two people at once at several points last night and he still came off looking better than both of them.

Raddatz should never be allowed to be a moderator or panel member on a major debate again. The problem isn't that she's biased. 90% of the media is. The problem is that she failed to supress it and she also failed to control the debate.

October 12, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |