Richmond, Virginia (CNN) - Aside from Tuesday's pivotal town hall debate in New York, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will use the upcoming week to focus on the issues of debt and deficits.
Polls show voters trust Romney over President Barack Obama on the question of who would better handle the national debt, one reason the Romney campaign has launched a new television ad attacking the president on the issue. Romney will also deliver a speech on government spending this Friday.
The Romney campaign circulated talking points to campaign surrogates and allies on Sunday evening, which were provided to CNN by a GOP source who did not want to be identified providing confidential campaign material to the media.
Read the message points below:
Surrogate Message Points: A Clear Choice on Debt and Deficits
- This election is a choice between two very different visions for our nation’s future – and that choice will again be on display at Tuesday’s town hall debate.
- Barack Obama doesn’t have a record to run on or a plan for the future.
- Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are offering exactly what our nation needs – real reforms for a real recovery.
- Nowhere is this choice more clear than on the issue of government spending and the historic levels of debt and deficits we’ve seen over the last four years.
- President Obama has racked up more than $5.5 trillion in debt over the past four years, putting our national debt above $16 trillion – and in a second term he’ll let it climb to $20 trillion.
- He also broke his promise to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term, instead presiding over four straight trillion-dollar deficits.
- Middle-class families are facing a $4,000-a-year tax increase just to service the debt President Obama has already racked up and the new spending he has proposed.
- Getting our fiscal house in order is more than an economic imperative – it’s a moral imperative. Americans deserve a president who will secure a future for our children that doesn’t leave them buried in debt.
- When Mitt Romney is president, he will cut spending, restore our AAA credit rating, and set us on a path to a balanced budget.
- On day one of his presidency, Mitt Romney will announce deficit-reduction measures that end the era of big government ushered in by President Obama. He will:
- Immediately reduce non-security discretionary spending by 5%
- Move to cap federal spending at 20% of the economy
- Give states responsibility for programs that they can implement more effectively
- Consolidate agencies and align compensation of federal workers with their private-sector counterparts
- Repeal and replace Obamacare with real health care reform that controls costs and improves care
- Mitt Romney’s Plan for a Stronger Middle Class will lead to a recovery that creates 12 million jobs and grows the economy on average by 4 percent per year.
- When Mitt Romney is president, our nation will have pro-growth policies that foster upward mobility and lift people out of poverty so that the next four years will be better than the last.
Funny how people are upset she tried to narrow down the Romney campaigns policies! The thing I like most about Obama is atleast he gives a detailed plan, which is more than I can say about Romney! Make the military stronger, send more troops to the middle east, extend the tax breaks for the wealthy and cut social programs! That sound like recovery to me! Labeling China a manipulator of currency? The jobs that have gone over seas will never come back! The businesses can pay lower wages, use child labor and pay no healthcare! Everything Romney is saying is idiotic and I guess their must be alot of idiots in America with him leading in the poles! Ignore the polls and vote!!!
No tax cheater (nobody who pays less than they should in taxes be running for president-look in the mirror) twit.
You and your lyan altar boy have still to tell us what, if anything, you are going to do. Sound bites are still not going to give you the WH. The "job" you want because you are the chosen one from your religion to do so NOT because you are going to be a good president or need the money or have what is going to cure our bush ills.
Four years and we still are no better off then before, over 16 trillion in debt, and it keeps rising, millions unemployed, thousand's homeles. A foriegn policy that have other nations laughing at us. Obama has done more to destroy this country in fours years then Bush did in Eight years. Obama cares only for himself, his hollywood firends, and the rich. This bull that he cares for middle class is bunk. Its time he stood up like a man, instead of pushing blame off on everyone else. As Truman said the Buck Stops Here. You need to pratice that ya loser.
Sorry brother, your math still isn't adding up and we are better off now than when Bush left.
This message will be for his base alone because any reasonable american will know that Romney's proposed policies will increase the deficit rather than reduce it. He plans to increase defence spending, give $ 4.8 trillion tax cut to mostly the richest 1%. The only way he can reduce the deficit with his plan is to cut social security and Medicare/Medicaid drastically because the major drivers of government spending are DEFENCE, MEDICARE/MEDICAID and SOCIAL SECURITY. He plans to increase DEFENCE spending. and decrease REVENUE. Now, tell me how he can mathematically and realisticlly reduce the deficit !
On day one, Romney would add 7 trillion to our debt. Romney and the GOP are serial liars, and depend on their gullible, ignorant and illiterate base to believe everything they say.
What Romney and Ryan are offering is Bush Tax Policy 102 which will lead to another recession. The economists I have read say what Romney and Ryan are offering will not reduce the debt but add to it and in the meantime, the policies that they have offered any details on will hurt milions and millions of Americans while once again protecting the wealth of the richest of this country.