October 16th, 2012

13 reasons to watch the debate on CNN's platforms and nowhere else

1)1. CNN=The World:

Tonight's debate will focus on foreign policy and international issues, and there is no better network that dominates coverage of the planet than CNN. From our bureaus in the Middle East, China and Africa, to our stellar national security team, to analysis from Christiane Amanpour, CNN owns the story of the world.

2. Clip-and-Share Video on CNN.com

Want to hear that quote again? With this tool, you can be your own producer and pause, rewind, and cut your own video clips using our new “clip and share technology” on CNN.com and on the iPad tablet. You can also post key video moments to Facebook and Twitter. Check it out at CNN.com/debates.

3. The Pregame show: The experts tee it up

Only on CNN will you find the most comprehensive pre-debate coverage. Before the event, our reporters, contributors and guest panelists open the doors inside the debate prep for Romney and Obama.

4. The Postgame show—Fact Checks, analysis and focus group

Get instant analysis from CNN Chief National Correspondent John King on the magic wall, while CNN anchor John Berman and Tom Foreman provide a "Reality Check" on the candidates’ statements. Erin Burnett, host of “OutFront,” gets reaction from our focus group of undecided voters, while National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta and Chief White House Correspondent Jessica Yellin are live from the spin room. During the last post-debate coverage, Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger became a trending topic on Twitter after being the first to say she found Joe Biden condescending in the vice presidential showdown.

5. CNN’s Live Blog

Click here as CNN’s Political Ticker team live-blogs the ongoing discussion about the debates in real time. This includes key quotes, notable tweets and minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, as well as a chance for you take part in an interactive conversation involving trivia, fact-checks, polls, and social media.

6. #CNNDebateClock: Exclusive on-air time check

Much like a possession clock in football, our real-time debate clock tells you how long each of the candidates have spoken. Follow the clock to see how long it takes for a candidate to make a point or how much time goes by before an issue is mentioned. During the first presidential debate, Obama spoke more than four minutes longer than Romney. This #CNNDebateClock is only found on CNN.

7. Instant reaction: Exclusive on-air undecided voters meter

Also exclusive to CNN platforms, our undecided voter meter gives viewers a real-time glimpse of what these voters like and don’t like hearing in the debate, conducted from the battleground state of Ohio. Divided by men and women, the #CNNUndecideds meter revealed a big gender gap on Romney’s Medicare plan during the first presidential debate. But will we see the same difference this time?

8. Text of full questions

Are the candidates answering the questions? We know it’s important for viewers to see the full questions posed by the moderator, so CNN displays the text on screen as the candidates give their answers.

9. Live stream

If you’re on the move, you can catch the full debate on all apps for smart phones and tablets. The debate will also stream on the CNNPolitics.com and the homepage of CNN.com

10. Live tweeting the debate

Follow @CNNbrk and @CNNPolitics to get the latest developments throughout the event.

11. CNN’s post-debate poll

Can’t wait to see what other voters thought of the debate? Shortly after the debate, CNN/ORC International releases the results of a scientific survey asking debate watchers who they thought was the night’s winner. In the first debate, Romney won by a big margin, 67% to 25%, while his running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, virtually tied Vice President Joe Biden in the vice presidential debate, 48% to 44%.

12. CNN/Facebook Election Insights

CNN has teamed up with Facebook to bring you exclusive real-time data on who’s talking about the candidates on the world’s largest social network. In the first presidential debate, mentions of Big Bird on Facebook increased by 800,000% in a matter of hours. For more raw data, go to CNN.com/FacebookInsights.

13. Wolf Blitzer & Anderson Cooper’s glasses – ‘Nuff said.

Filed under: Presidential Debate
  1. Not this time

"Out of an Abundance of Caution" I will not be watching CNN's coverage of the debates. "Fool me once.. shame on you, fool me twice... shame on me." I am that the CNN staff may find parts of the debate to hard for me to handle and cut away from it. (Like they did the historic skydiveing world record.) I will be tuning into a station that treats me like an adult, and not a child.

October 16, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. ondeck

If Romney is not questioned about his tax returns then this debate is a farce – no politician should be able to slide on this topic. The people deserve a credible answer.

October 16, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. RAL

#14 CNN will announce Obama won Romney defeated and go on to add lies to the mix which are becomming less likely to be Believed..
    Then again Cnn has been a Lib Media a long time in the last 4 years they have just cast reason to the wind and declared it fully!

October 16, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  4. Larry L

I'd prefer to watch a network where they ran a fact-check ticker throughout the debate. I'd also like to see the moderator challenge candidates to explain lies or distortions before moving on to the next topic. Debaters are supposed to use facts to make their points – not lies. Romney or Ryan would be unable to speak if those rules applied.

October 16, 2012 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  5. obamaphone

I'm watching because I want Obama to win! He gave me my free obamaphone so I can call all my homies without paying one cent! I get all these gov't handouts and don't have to worry about working at all! Thanks to Obama, I can watch Judge Judy everyday AND support my 8 kids with my gov't cheese. VOTE OBAMA! Holla!

October 16, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Darlis

I see all this to-do about debates and it makes me even more fearful for the future of our country.. even the media is on board with the notion that the best actor wins or is somehow the best man to run this country!! appalling... it seems not to have mattered at all that the fact checkers continue to discredit Romney or that he has changed his position on almost every conceivable important issue facing this country... that it matters not that their lines are practicted for hours on end .... and that all say that the President must come and "perform" better... it seems that even if you lie, your "performance" will be deemed a winner????????? It is more than time to stop this silliness...I don't get the impressoin that the right cares at all about the character of thier candidate..they don't care so long as he can "win".. how can we ever be surprised when the government becomes more shoddy by the day.. and what kind of christianity is practiced that embraces thre notion that the ends jusitfy any means? I worry far about my grandchildren living in a world where nothing and no one is respected than that they may inherit a monetary debt. Too sad.

October 16, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. MontanaSon

Naw. I toggle back and forth. It's pretty much like NBC, CBS and ABC. Heavily invested.

October 16, 2012 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. Core republican Values

The CNN political coverage, especially Erin Burnett, is getting very right wing. They seem to be tainting the independence of their reporting with pressure to sell advertising.

October 16, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. mikey

the question is.............how far over the cliff will the press let Obama take this country over the cliff before they start to ask real questions.

October 16, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. Rick McDaniel

The main reason NOT to? CNN is totally partisan, biased, and covering up, the downside of the Obama administration.

CNN has become a Democratic Party, propagandist, network!

October 16, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. Bill

OH boy oh boy lets see how far to the left this debate will be shifted by CNN

October 16, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  12. susan porretta

this is the silliest election I have ever experienced. The media is going crazy whipping us all into a frenzy. We get minute by minute updates on the polls. All of which is contradictory. Every little sound bite receives days of analysis and opinion articles. People need to see that this is more about media ratings than about actual legitimate coverage. The media needs to knock it off!

October 16, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. Gerry the K.

Please try to be fair and keep the questions neutral and not left wing in favor of Obama. Why is the mainstream media so driven to back Obama/ Is it guilt over past sins??...get over it!! It is 2012 not 1860!!

October 16, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. Nadim Kayaleh

Really? I always loved CNN because it was the objective network. Not on the right like Fox or on the left like MSNBC. I am a liberal at heart however. But it it was still good to get the news from a centrist position like CNN. However the last few months I saw CNN turn into another Fox. It is obvious that they want Obama to lose. How often can a station harp on Benghazi? Get over Benghazi!! Tens of thousands of Arabs have died in the Arab Spring! While the loss of 4 Americans was tragic, it's not the end of civilization. While Reagan was president, 241 marines died in Beirut. Guess what! Reagan got reelected.
    Watching Erin Burnett's big smile each time she mentions how Romney is gaining ground is a turn off. But can you blame her? Her fiance is a Wall Street big gun. I just hope Candy Crowley stays impartial tonight!

October 16, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  15. Captain Obvious

CNN is garbage. The only place to watch any of the debates is PBS.

October 16, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. roy

Ask Governor Ryan if for those of us who vote for him, does that come with a radiation suit?

October 16, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. dulcimer172

Do people REALLY watch these debates. Pretty much everyone knows who they're going to vote for already. Putting these debates on 20 different channels still won't make me watch it.

A 2-minute sound bite is NOT a coherent statement of policy on a complex subject.

October 16, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  18. Paul

#7 Uninformed voters who can be swayed by the wind

October 16, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. Ronda in Houston,TX

Is CNN telling people to watch them because they have the best format? I watched CNN's debate format and frankly, I got tired of their political contributors because when they started talking you knew what they were going to say based on if they were for Romney or Obama. It's the same old same old.

I prefer C-SPAN when watching the debate because all you see are the Candiates in their forum. NO split screen, NO ticker-takes running across the bottom of my TV screen, just the complete debate. And then, at the end of the debate, C-SPAN takes phone calls from people voicing their take on the debates. I don't need CNN political contributors telling me what to think. Most people can digest the debates and think on their own.

October 16, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  20. thebeaniest

So why isn't CNN carrying the story about the leaked debate agreement. You know, the one that basically rules out holding the candidates accountable to anything they say? No follow ups from the audience, no follow ups from the moderator, no follow ups from each other.. so basically this isn't a debate, it's joint campaign commercial.

October 16, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  21. Newfie

Candy Crowley should never be hosting this debate because she favors the republicans and it shows big time. Why was Cnn and fox news reporting Paul Ryan won the debate when other news were reporting Joe Biden won. That speaks volumes to me.

October 16, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  22. Beau

One reason to not watch the debate on CNN is that the moderator is only going to moderate Romney and not Obama. CNN has already shoved the Libya issue under the rug and will not criticize the president in any way.

October 16, 2012 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. Anonymous

Sorry C-N-N.. but after your ridiculous Ryan-Biden polling results... I'm pretty sure i'll be tuning in to ABC or NBC for these debates. They dont use all those graphics and charts and polling. They just show 2 men and a moderator on screen making their points. And no "Spin Room" after either. I actually like making up my own mind based on the arguments presented during the debate. I dont need someone from Obama or Romney's side telling me what i shouldve just heard or walking back statements. OR YOUR polls telling me something completely different then what my eyes just saw. After a while, its kinda insulting to one's intelligence.

October 16, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. Nick

You guys should turn off the stupid voter meter. Let people decide how they feel themselves, don't influence that by showing them how other people feel. Also you need to work on your insta-poll sampling. Last week your poll was clearly wrong, declaring Ryan as the winner over Biden. Every other poll showed Biden outmatched him. A blind person can see that. We already have one Fox News pandering to the right, we don't need two.

October 16, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. Aaron Moore

How about...

"Because Fox News murdered us in the first debate."

October 16, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |