Live blog: Second presidential debate
October 16th, 2012

Live blog: Second presidential debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney battle it out for the second time when they take the debate stage Tuesday at Hofstra University in New York.

Moderated by CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, the event marks the second of three debates between the two candidates before Election Day.

Follow our Live Blog for minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, as well as an interactive conversation featuring trivia, fact-checks, polls, and social media.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Phil

Romney said if elected he would bring Virginia 340,000 new jobs....I don't how but I am going to take him at his word.

October 16, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. matt u

Gov. Romney makes it hard to vote for him. It seems that when it comes to taxes, he is not willing to implement policies that will raise his own effective tax rate. That may be the reason he is unwilling to explain in more detail his tax plan.

October 16, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  3. Name Sharon Slater

From a Canadian's point of view, Pres. Obama walked on Romney! Mitt Romney still did not give specifics.

October 16, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. Florida Mom

Romney has more class than Obama any day. I agree with his statement that gas was $1.86 when Obama took office. Why is it now $4 per gallon....Obamas reply was the economy was going into recession so price was lower...,Ha! As for me, my family, and most people in know (we are middle class with no govt benefits and carry private insurance not to mention work full time jobs) we are still hurting. In the 18 years of our marriage we have never been more financially strapped. We are hurting more now then 4 years ago, than 2 years ago. We don't even know how we will afford Christmas for our kids. Someone needs to wise up and realize the news might not report it cuz the election is so close but we are worse off now! I think a bigger recession is coming if this keeps up. I want my freedom to make my own choices! I want my freedom to be successful! Don't kid yourself that Romney is the only rich person. Obama is just as rich and supports more welfare! That's a bad combo! CNN should be ashamed that the commentator favored Obama. My husband never watches this stuff becuz he doesn't feel it will change and he thought she more than favored Obama and kept American from hearing Romneys answers. Must be in his pocket! Bad for CNN!

October 16, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  5. Angel

Candy Crowley shame on you. As a moderator taking the side of the President in a debate is wrong.....

October 16, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. dave

Are the majority of people posting on this websites on some kind of Obamacare? Food stamps, welfare or some kind of government aid? Maybe you are posting from one of Obama's free phones! This is why the country is in such bad shape, no common sense at all.

October 16, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. Tammy G

Mitt Romney won the first debate, even though, when the fact checking was done, the president had more "true" facts. This time, The President, clearly won the debate, and the fact-checkers has reported again that President Obama had more "true" facts thus far. Hmmm....interesting!
    I'm an independent voter, and I approve this message. I'm still watching everything!

October 16, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Elias Wyatt

Obama lied to the American People about his reaction to the attack on our consulate in benghazi ...he didn't call it a terrorist attack for 12 days....moderator backed the lie with another lie.

October 16, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  9. sue

Romney could not respond about the 47% because Obama used it during his last comment. Romney was not given an opportunity.

October 16, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  10. Voter

Go President Obama! I get so sick of the rude disrepectful behavior coming from Mitt! Showed me his true character! Seems to tell lie after lie! Just to fool the american people on his 5 point plan! havent heard it yet?? because he doesnt have one! Same old story!

October 16, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  11. Marie MD

Candy i take back what i said this afternoon. You did a magnificent job and you kept the twit in his place.
    You had the facts and you didnt back down when the bully bishop tried to pretend you are one of women of his religion women who are sub humans.

October 16, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  12. NameLynn

Gov. Romney was rude and never really answered the questions. I don't trust him !

October 16, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  13. Susan Lamb

Romney's arrogance, flip-flopping, condescending attitude toward women, his plans to reward his uber-rich friends, and his disdain of the poor came out front and center tonight. The President was the clear winner and more importantly the person we need to lead our country with dignity, knowledge, and humanity.

October 16, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  14. Name holly

People go rent the video called "The Agenda" it's credible and pleawe feel free to point out any untruths ONLY after you have watched and done your fact checking. And expain why anyone in their right mind would want more government involvement in anything!!! They screw up everything!

October 16, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. Joseph NJ

Way it go Obama show him what you got.
    To bad for republicans.

October 16, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. Linda

It is so sad to watch two grown men fuss and fight like little boys trying to get mom to believe them and blame the other child.

October 16, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  17. mariannejanack

I wasn't sure that the questions coming from undecided voters would be any good, but I was really surprised–most were very thoughtful, good questions.

October 16, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. Rob Mc

Obama is a cry baby and lied all night.

Romney won the debate.

October 16, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  19. joe

On why another 4 years. It takes time to make good whisky.. trying to rush it would produce vinegar not whisky. And for Obama, he had to first clean-up otherwise you aint gonna get any good whiskly.

October 16, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  20. wendell wallace

Obama won this debate by a landslide.He won my vote plus my whole family.Thanks B.obama

October 16, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  21. TLH

Romney with his silver spoon may get jobs going here quicker but don't be fooled, the majority will be at $8-10/hr and who can live on that. He had NO IDEA of what it is like to be middle class, this is an ego trip for him to say the least. And if the republicans would get out of the way, Obama would be more successful. They need to get over the fact that their Koch & other $ fuelers don't win elections anymore... the corporate greed has got to STOP and us busting our butts need help! GO OBAMA... and for the record, I did not vote 4 yrs ago for Obama, I actually voted for McCain. When Obama was announced as president I felt good, and almost remorseful for not voting for him to begin with.

October 16, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  22. Name

Romney won!

October 16, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  23. NameFairness!please

Can we pick Hannity to moderate the next debate? What about Bill O' Reilly? Let's just keep it " fair and balanced!!!

October 16, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  24. joe

so clear to me the difference between a genuine Commander-In-Chief and one that is trying to fake.

October 16, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. Eileen

So proud of the great job President Obama did tonight. It is about time Romney got called out on his lies and distortions!

October 16, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |