Live blog: Second presidential debate
October 16th, 2012

Live blog: Second presidential debate

(CNN) - President Barack Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney battle it out for the second time when they take the debate stage Tuesday at Hofstra University in New York.

Moderated by CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, the event marks the second of three debates between the two candidates before Election Day.

Follow our Live Blog for minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, as well as an interactive conversation featuring trivia, fact-checks, polls, and social media.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Partyof responsibility

I am often chilled to the bone reading Obama supporters, its like the kool aide has this 4 year effect, and it will be to late when you finally get your senses back! Obama has lead with lies, overspending NO control... Where is the scapel he promised to take to the budget... Simple math people if I cut 200 from. 400 budget but add 600 in spending you have debt not cuts... Im at 800 instead of 400... Does smaller numbers help. He has weakened our country and ignored requests to help our embassy's...pay attention its like a great magic trick... Hey i killed this one guy and watered sanctions on the other killers... Gave others weapons use priviledge to avoid confession.. In thd rose garden i said it was protests at the end he blanket states "No act of terror" not in any way referred to the event as terrorism, nor did he send even 1 admin to tell anything other than video and protests... Which tells me he was not just lyinv but willing to insight more violence by making an issue of a video that was not an issue...he lies and people go oh give me more... No wonder the world is a mess!

October 16, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  2. Vickie

I wish everyone would realize that a President is given 4 years in office after he wins an election.
    Why does Obama think he deserves more time to get it right.
    Obama has NOT even come close to delivering on anything he promised the American people if elected.
    Why would anyone want another 4 more years of failed policies and promises.
    Wake up your future is at stake!

October 16, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  3. Mony Shohadaee

...Romney could be compare to a windmill, it moves according to the wind. He will say anything to get elected, as far I'm concerned Romney belittles citizens like me who as single mom has raised and put through college 5 children and myself. Had it not being by Clinton's policies my success story would have been "a disaster story". I'm not a millionaire; money was no a goal, my richness was based on my 30 yrs of professional achievements ruined in a week time by the discriminatory policies blessed by our new Republican Governor and his anti Civil Rights actions. My dream is shared my children's dream, but as part if the middle class I want them to have the same opportunities I have had. Not been able to pay taxes at the end of a Yr was not a hand out, it doesn't make me a victim. I paid taxes in everything else, and I proudly contributed to my community's growth. Romney wants to promote policracy, not democracy, and tries to manipulate people religious believes on his favor knowing that State & Religion run separately in USA. Religion is a personal liberty, one more liberty we will lose under Romney as well as a woman's liberty to decide what to do wirh her body. We lost the most important liberties when the "Patriot Act" was signed by Bush. President Obama has my back, and those of my children old enough to vote, we should unite and help move forward our Nation, we also need to enable only those Congressmen working for us The People, and not the rich & dishonest pockets of some!

October 16, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  4. chupacabra

Obama..2012..................................there it is..........

October 16, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Dana Copeland

Clearly Obama won this debate. My own 9 yr old son, said "He (Romney) is such a liar, Mom"

October 16, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  6. Sue

Tired of who won or who didn't really. However, believe Obama strongly showed presidential poise and appropriate defense against Romney attacks on him since all Romney has now is attack mode (note how he has always been a pawn for Republicans as they CLEARLY need to win with someone to save face in their party). Why? because they have had a "Mexican standoff" (no offense, I'm from San Jose) to try and gain control since day one of the administration. This may be why Romney is so disrespectful to the President. How can he calmly have a discussion with foreign dignitaries?

Besides that, old Romney has to prove himself to his party. Additionally notice how, psychologically speaking, he shows a variation between manipulation, defensive posturing, and insecurity (check his body language and hesitation on ideas, etc.) Cannot trust him re SS: when Bush tried to divert Social Security into private investing and it didn't work well in TX unless you had enought money per article printed during his time in office. If done by Romney, no money is to be made investing now first of all, and if it does, we are indebted to the investors, and third, it simply would have some persons without money as they could not voucher welll if had catastrophic health or business problems, etc. This is much like the 401K's & other retirement investments during the last few years– people have lost their retirement!!!! With no Gov to help, what then? Seems like Romney wants the states to take charge–fine, however, the states sure want Fed money when they are short and they will be short! There are no programs to help many disabled, mentallly challenged, etc., in states. Poor states have it worse, and now in Utah where I live now, the health care system is broke per doctors. I have head injured son, another son with mental problems, where do I get help now?? All iI get are arguments why nothing can be done. CAll the police everyone says and then taxpayers money are diverted to more prisons and jails since Reagan diverted mentally-housed persons to community sectors (like Romney is suggesting) and that didn't work well did it over time.

Actually, I watch the person and their pitch of voice their, actions, facts, etc. Too late, but would like Hillary C. and Jon Huntsman to run as believe they are very politically savy and have in-depth knowledgment of issues that would help us all. Oh welll.

Enough, let's vote and save our SS, retirements, health programs, disabled, regular income workers, etc. –Vote for Obama or the "elite" will once again get the tax breaks and like they say, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Good Night!

October 16, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. Lori Nardone

Women....our rights are at risk. Obama has stood up to the task...Im giving him 4 more years (reg IND). Romney is a flip flopper. Sayss whatevere he has toclose the deal! We need a President who understands the 47% and the e.rest of us. OBAMA won this debate hands down.

October 16, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. Name

Like obama said, it will take more than 4 years. Vote for obama and he will show you what he meant when he said that in 2008. Vote obama.

October 16, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  9. ImWEBSPY

Romney how would you make equal pay for equal work ""I will give""THEM"" time off, for women to go home and make dinner""!

Romney view on abortion "I will change the law, I will explain it to "them", My church and I are of the view life begins at conception, The Romney Ryan ticket would appoint judges of that view!

I notice on Romney view of abortion he never mentioned women, how can that be?

JUST IN:: Romney saying "Of course her Doctor informs me of her condition, how else do I explain it to her, women cant worry their pretty little heads on such matters, they have enough to do around the house without becoming hysterical"!

Joe schooled Eddie Munster, now Obama called Red Sheen Romney a whiner, wow makeup didn't hide the Mormon glow

October 16, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  10. Middle Class

I'm beyond a middle class family....65K total family income for a family of 5 and my taxes increased this year and same with healthcare. Approx total between the two was about $4000.....great plan!

October 16, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  11. Name holly

A lot of people on here are saying that Romney was rude...did you also think Biden was rude??? Him and his condescension made me want di throw up! Also Obama has had 4 miserable years to prove himself and the only things he has proven is that he is a puppet to his advisors a.k.a. Valerie Jarrod and that he can spend spend spend and leave our great grandchildren to pay for it! But if someone says cut spending a.k.a "entitlements" such as foodstamps government housing and welfare people go insane! I don't want obamacare socialized medicine or anything even close to the government telling me what they think I need to eat drink consume etc...Romney may not be the best choice but he beats what we've got now
    He's a business man. O and Obama was a community leader. Wow. Really people?? Give me a break
    Romney 2012!!

October 16, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  12. Lynn

Lets recap' Romney still does not answer any question, he is rhetorical, and apple-polishing. He stated of immigration, enter the military for U.S citizenship, and school, these are programs that have been in place since after the first depression, around 1936. As for Romney blaming Obama not doing what he said, he has done what he could, he adopted a crash, not many people can do that. It is like a driver of a car loosing their breaks and the passenger stating, "if you cannot stop it I can", well Romney, I do not think so! Then there was the oil issues, no one realizes that Romney is invested in the oil companies, 13 million, well, he has to pay that money back somehow,with votes – Qud Pro Quo! "I'll give you this, if you do that" ! Romney rehashed the same issues over and over , never answering anyone's questions. Then his rudeness, cutting off the President, continuously, debate or not, that does not mean not utilize style and respect. If he is willing to treat the President as his company & audience, then how do you think he will treat the company. Then there is the abortions rights, Rowe v. Wade, no one should ever tell another how to run their medical lives, or family. Separation of Church and State, of which is in our Declaration of Independence. If men like to dictate to women, then any man who becomes a father and does not pay should be a mandatory vasectomy, then lets see how they like it if the tables are turned, if they cant pay the first time, then they should not be allowed at any time! Stay away from Women's , peoples rights over their medical needs! Romney has such an issue with control, I fear there is more of an issue? How will that be for the country!

October 16, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  13. Moses

I believe Obama won big by far.

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. rs

Mr. Romney was exposed as a liar, an ugly opportunist with dubious morals.

Good, now Americans see their real choice. A President working diligently for the majority of Americans and cheesy, greasy used car salesman (apologies to car salesmen everywhere...).

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  15. Wire Palladin, S. F

Mittens was his usual "offensive." It is nice to see that one of his lies was immediately fact checked proving Willard wrong.

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Monica Kudrna

Spending too much time on Libya situation. We were on attacked on U.S soil (embassy) in Libya. Attacked is attacked and stearn justice needs to be served.

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  17. steve

Finally a fact check that spells it out. There is no way either can reduce the deficit or debt. It is political suicide and will never get through congress. We are in serious trouble as a nation.
    What can either guy do to unite the parties and get something done?

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  18. chupacabra

I'm 63 yrs old...can anyone besides me remember how good life was before george w bush..yes.. thats what I thought.....Obama .. 2012...no more republicans for a while....

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  19. NameKesha

Obama definitely won; I can't believe that Romney made the comment about single mothers.

October 16, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  20. Name

Romney clear winner. Obama has no record to run on really

October 16, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  21. don in albuquerque

Once again MittWitt could not provide any solid information, and floundered at the end. Could not answer questions. He failed. GO OBAMA!!!!

October 16, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  22. steve

Look at all the polls. 47 percent for Obama. Where have I heard that?

October 16, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  23. Candy Nichols

Obama did not say that it was an act of terror. He said, "no acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation." He did not say directly that the particular incident was an act of terror. The corespondents are not listening to what Obama said but are hearing what they want to. They played the tape and still interpreted it incorrect. He was talking about behavior of other countries. Mitt Romney was correct. Obama did not confirm the terrorist attack that day. We Americans, were left to assume for days. I'm disappointed in CNN's lack of attention paid to details.

October 16, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  24. Nancy

Obama won from my point of view. Romney changes his view whenever the wind blows. Will Romney become a "good" citizen and bring his money to American banks instead of offshore banks to support America whether he becomes president or not. He should put his money where his mouth is. will he bring back the jobs he himself sent to other countries.

October 16, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. Brian

Romney proved again that he would change positions to get elected. Untrustworthy.

October 16, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |