Obama on debate day: 'I feel fabulous'
October 16th, 2012

Obama on debate day: 'I feel fabulous'

(CNN) – Hours before his second matchup with Mitt Romney, President Barack Obama told reporters his spirits were high going into Tuesday's town hall-style presidential debate.

"I feel fabulous," Obama said as he strolled through the Kingsmill resort in Williamsburg, Virginia, where he has spent the last three days preparing for Tuesday's debate. The president was walking alongside David Plouffe, a White House adviser, and Anita Dunn, his former communications chief who is playing CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley, the debate's moderator, in the president's practice sessions.

Watch CNN's coverage of Tuesday's presidential debate starting at 7 p.m. ET on CNN TV, CNN.com and via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Web users can become video editors with a new clip-and-share feature that allows them to share favorite debate moments on Facebook and Twitter. Click here for 13 reasons to watch the debate only on CNN.

"Look at this beautiful day," he continued, before telling the reporters, "I hope you enjoy the weather."

On Monday, the president's campaign released a photo of first lady Michelle Obama holding up an Illinois absentee ballot. Asked by reporters if he knew his wife voted for him, Obama smiled and said, "Thank goodness."

He did not respond to a question about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton taking responsibility in a CNN interview for the safety of American diplomats following the deadly attack in Benghazi, Libya that killed the American ambassador.

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– Colbert says he can't tell differences between Romney and Obama

– All tied up ahead of second Obama-Romney showdown

– Obama ad makes case for economic policies

– Romney message this week: 'A clear choice on debt and deficits'

– Largely hidden away, Obama reports debate prep 'going great'

1. Pappy

My oh my can this fella tell a tale, I reckon he dont dont talk to Ms Hillary

October 16, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. ObaWendon

I pray he does well tonight and Romney shows his true colors. A vote for Romney is a vote for war with Iran, more taxes for the middle class to hold up his wealthy buddies, back room abortion clinics because women will lose the right to their own bodies, more chances we will end up right where Bush left us.

October 16, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. ztsig

You read it here first...! Obama fails and Romney wins the election. Romney balances the budget. We are making great ground with him in the seat. The cries from the left come flying in "IT WAS OBAMA'S POLICIES THAT MADE THIS HAPPEN NOT ROMNEY'S. YOU DIDN'T GIVE OBAMA THE CHANCE TO PROVE WHAT HE WAS DOING WAS WORKING". Obama runs again and face plants in polls and still goes down in history as the worst elected official to any office. I can't wait till Romney gets elected so I can use the same line the entire left has been using. "It's Obama's fault" "We inherited this mess" then after a few months of that we will actually lead looking forward not backwards.

October 16, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. Underwhelmed by my President

didn't he feel pretty confident before the first beatdown as well?

October 16, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. Underwhelmed by my President

Anyone who mentioned God or prayer probably has no business voting for President.

October 16, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Wake up People!

Good luck Mr. President on the debate and the election. We have your back but I won't lie, the fact that the lying flip flopper who refuses to disclose his taxes is even close tells me one thing. Some people are simply voting for Willard due to the lack of pigment in his skin. And that saddens me the most.

OBAMA 2012!

October 16, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Al Gore

Did somebody check and make sure the altitude is just right for Mr. Obama to perform? We wouldn't want that to hold him back in this debate?

October 16, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. Forward

Obama is going to mop the floor with Willard Romney

October 16, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Brad

Dear Wake Up – give it a rest will you? Some people are simply too dull to understand that many of us don't like his policies. But keep playing the race card – it's what the left does best and it NEVER gets old!

October 16, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. AlLies

Of course he does. Hillary took the fall for his inability to protect our people in Libya so he can walk onto that stage tonight with someone else to blame for his continuing failures. Life is always good as long as you have someone to point the finger at.

October 16, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Flipity Flop Flipity Flop

I wonder what Romney will FLIP FLOP on this time. He changes his stance so often, one doesn't know what to believe.

October 16, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. ART

Romney will try to talk about his 5 point plan, he will reduce spending . Where he will not tell you. He will lower taxes on who we still do not know, he will eliminate certain deductions, on what he will not tell you but you can bet it won't be for his rich croonies, probably on all of the middle class with their little motgage deductions. This man has no plan except for trying to buy the Presidency

October 16, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  13. Three Questions tonight for the President

1. What is the current US unemployment rate?
    2. What is the price of a gallon of gas in the state in which tonight's debate is taking place and how does it compare to the price at this time four years ago?
    3. Why was credible evidence that our embassies might be attack wholly ignored this September and who made the final call regarding what to do?
    Ask those three questions; demand narrow responses, then give the President as much time thereafter as he likes to explain them after giving the exact/ narrow responses. There really aren't too many other questions that are that relevant.

October 16, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. Romney's Tax Reform Cop Out

If Romney tells us one more time that he'll let Congress figure out what loop holes to close and what deductions will be zapped, I'll scream. Afterall, doesn't Congress decide MOST everything? What a cop out. He promises to zap taxes without increasing the deficit... this could only mean he'll zap funding for everything except the military. By the way... Obama is going to cut wasteful spending in the military and Medicare. Romney wants to give them money that hasn't been asked for. Stupid. And his mouth is going to get us into another war. I prefer Obama's stance. As T.R. said: Speak softly and carry a big stick. I hope Obama uses a big stick on Romney.

October 16, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Colleen Turnage

I'm a rare bird. I'm a Mormon Democrat (yes, there are a few of us around). I like both men running for President. Talk about your horns of dilemma! I look forward to tonight's debate and another "lively discussion"... one that I wish the pundits on both sides of the aisle would stay out of so the discourse remains civil instead of the usual hateful rhetoric one hears lately. I also prefer substance over style. I would like to think that both candidates *believe* they want to do right by our country. They just have different approaches in how we get there is all. The debates will help me decide.

One last thought on the first debate: I watched the debate and it looked like Romney won it to me, mainly on style. But then I decided to LISTEN to the debate without watching it, and I had a totally different impression. Then it looked like Obama won to me, mainly on substance. I just found that interesting. I think I may do that with all the debates...

October 16, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. kalo

He's Fabulous~ Everyone break out the body glitter!

October 16, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Borderless

President Hollywood was trounced in the first debate and he was prepared for that one. He had the clear lead in the polls in that one. He didn't have the pressure in that one.

So he'll lose tonight and then he'll get a speech writer and a teleprompter and deliver a sharp rebuttal after the fact. Just like last time.

October 16, 2012 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  18. Alyarby

Who cares how Obama feels? Hillary is taking the blame, because he is the Blamer in Chief - someone other than Barry is always responsible for trouble. But when someone other than Barry does the deed, like killing Bin Laden, Obama takes all the credit. What a guy. Will someone please buy him a one-way ticket back to Chicago. Can't be soon enough.

October 16, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. kiwisepp

Mr. President, the mistake you made during the first debate was that you wanted a debate between two honest gentlemen. It was proved that it was not. You also may also put too much trust on normal American people's judgment. you are wrong either. Mr Romney will flip-flop and says anything to get vote and most American do not know what is 1//3 + 2/3. So you need to be tough

October 16, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Tonight's matchup: A failure vs. a Liar

Is it too late to draft Hillary into the Oval Office? Oh right, the Obama Administration has decided that she's the sacrificial lamb for the embassy bombing...

October 16, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Olaf Big

Don't screw up this one Mr. President!

October 16, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. Critical Thinking

Gallup/USAToday Poll: Women voters flocking to Mitt Romney

Its Time : BO MUST GO !

October 16, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. Jane Smith

Anyone who can use and understand basic addition and subtraction will see Romney's plan to balance the budget and cut taxes is deeply flawed. Do the Romney/Ryan supporters understand basic self-evident truths?

October 16, 2012 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. Borderless

@Tonight's matchup

I could not agree more. Exactly right! I would vote for Hillary in a second! Maybe in 2016.

October 16, 2012 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. B

Mr. President, it's time to debate for your life. And don't muck it up!

Forward Obama/Biden 2012!