Tough talk on China
October 17th, 2012

Tough talk on China

Honk Kong (CNNMoney) – President Obama and Mitt Romney each used their second presidential debate to talk tough on China.

Romney pledged that he would label China as a currency manipulator on his first day in office - a promise he frequently works into his campaign speeches. And he accused China of "stealing" designs, patents and technology pioneered by U.S. companies.

FULL STORY

Filed under: China • CNNMoney.com
  1. truth hurts

Obama has had 4 years to be tough on China and did nothing. He only started talking about it after Romney started talking about it. Obama doesn't have an original thought in his brain. I thought he was supposed to be smart?

October 17, 2012 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  2. Whitelighter36

I need to see a more tougher stance on China.

October 17, 2012 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  3. aop

Quite honestly, seeing as how China is soon to become a major super power I hardly think it's in the best interest of the United States to be making an enemy of China as we have with the entire middle east. We need to build diplomatic ties to strengthen peace (not just strengthen the economy). I would hope that both Romney and Obama would be able to realize that sometimes the unpopular decision is what's needed to best benefit the country's growth and maintain its freedom.

October 17, 2012 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  4. Buufffeeee

China manipulates their currency which in turn affects our economy. Sure, let's all skip around together! I'm tired of paying for other people's choices such as having kids when you can't afford them. I'm no 1%, but I worked hard to get where I am at in life by studying, working and having the drive to do better so I can make six figures a year. Romney 2012

October 17, 2012 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  5. J.V.Hodgson

Grow up america and Romney. Were you listening truth hurts.white lighter 36 and Buufffeeee Romney said he would day one call China a currency manipulator .
    He then said if needed he would impose tarriffs on Chinese imports. Is this the free markets free trade minimum regulator business supporting party I once knew?
    Next question: We the grand almighty US ( sorry no longer so globally economically) think china would not retaliate big time. I have lived and worked in asia for mant many years and believe me china would cut its nose off to spite its face by selling huge tranches of its currently owned US debt short and forcing us almost into bankruptcy.
    Get real people, stop the nice sounding saber rattling and rhetoric .
    This china currency manipulation issue has been on every IMF and G7/ 8 or 20 for the past 15 years at least, and only during the obam years did china allow a small strenhgthening that they had not done before and also theya are allowing some small element of free trade to be conducted in the currency Yuan or Renmimbi.... this latter is the route to China not being a currency manipulator not thetoric ala Romney that has no chance of working without serious damage to the US.
    Trust me, go the Romney currency manipulator route, and China will bankrupt the USA PDQ.
    Regards,