October 18th, 2012

Ann Romney talks abortion on 'The View'

(CNN) – Ann Romney, the wife of the GOP presidential nominee, took to "The View" Thursday to talk up her husband as an advocate for women, though she wouldn't get into many details about her own political positions.

Asked whether she, like her husband, had changed her stance on abortion, Ann Romney demurred.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"The good news is, I'm not running for office and I don't have to say what I feel. But I am pro life. I'm happy to say that," the candidate's wife said.

Mitt Romney has been criticized for changing positions on the issue of abortion, dating back to his run for governor of Massachusetts. During that campaign, in 2002, he expressed full support for abortion rights for women. Ann Romney said Thursday he was pro-life all along, but governed from a pro-choice stance.

This cycle, the Republican candidate has expressed his opposition to abortion, with the exception of cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is at risk.

On "The View" Thursday, Ann Romney explained her husband changed his mind on abortion when legislation crossed his desk as governor regarding stem cell research.

"He could not have, on his conscience, creating human life for experimentation," Romney said. "That's when he came out saying he was pro life. I think we all have to understand this is an issue that is so tender and there are people on both sides of the issue, with very good conscience, coming with a different opinion."

The top issue for women, Mrs. Romney said, was the economy. Asked by Joy Behar whether access to abortion amounted to an economic issue, she again ceded to her husband.

"You know, again, I would love it if you'd get my husband on the couch, Joy, and you could go down with that all you want," she said.

Romney was originally scheduled to be a guest on the program with his wife, but canceled his appearance earlier this week. His campaign said the booking "was no longer going to work in the campaign schedule."

According to a campaign spokesman, the GOP nominee is spending Thursday doing debate prep and working on his speech for Thursday's Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation dinner, a black tie event that's a ritual for presidential nominees. He has no public campaign events.

At a surreptitiously recorded campaign fund-raiser in May, Romney called the ABC morning talk show "high risk," pointing to the political affiliations of the co-hosts. Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd have all expressed decidedly liberal standpoints, though Elisabeth Hasselbeck is an outspoken conservative.

"'The View' is high risk because of the five women on it. The other four are sharp tongued and not conservative, Whoopi Goldberg in particular," Romney told donors in Boca Raton, Florida earlier in the summer.

Asked about those comments Thursday, Mrs. Romney joked the hosts had misheard her husband.

"No, he said sharp and young," the candidate's wife said to laughs.

Filed under: 2012 • Abortion • Ann Romney
  1. jgt7874

So they invited Michelle Obama only to discuss what her favorite colors may be, but choose to begin questioning Ann Romney about abortion and the mormon faith? Either they don't believe that the first lady is bright enough to discuss delicate topics, or were trying to cause a potential future first lady to stumble. Shame on them.

October 18, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Brian

What I have never heard out of any of the Republican / Pro-Life coalition is how they will enforce anti-abortion laws if Roe is overturned. Are they suggesting jail time, fines, or something else? You can't outlaw something without a clear way to enforce it.

October 18, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. judith

Mitt's too chicken to go on The View, so he sends Queen Ann, who refuses to ask her views. As for stem-cell research changing his mind, that's absurd. Mitt changed his mind when he wanted to cater to the GOP base; after he was a "moderate" in Massachusetts. She and Mitt also strongly supported Planned Parenthood when they lived in Massachusetts–now they've totally Etch-a-Sketched that history. What liars!

October 18, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. joan

This woman is so phoney it is seeping through her face. She is boasting about going around the city campaigning for her husband and all these people coming up to her with questions. Yet, when she was asked a simple question on the View she quckly deflat. Yes, who are these people, Romney and his wife. They are very scary. It is clear that they just want to get into the Whitehouse. Their sons are disrespectful of the President. One of them said he wanted to hit the President and everyone is saying it is a JOKE. How comes he did not say that when Newt Gingrich, Bachman, and the rest of them said that their dad was a serial liar. Ann Romney is no Michelle Obama.

October 18, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. Frankie

It appears the questions would have been too tough for Mittens Romney. The Romneys are some of the most pampered people and thin skinned people. Tagg wanted to take a swing at the President because of the debate? Wow!!! If Mittens Romney cannot even handle the "women of The View" I fear he could not handle dealing with other leaders from countries we have to deal with. Heck, he cannot even handle dealing with our allies via London during the Olympics. Just because he made alot of money in the private sector does not mean he could handle running the country. If he was such a good governor then why is he not winning Massachusetts overwhelmingly. Why? I'll tell you why the people in Massachusetts know the real Romney and they don't like how he ran things. Their state was 47th as far as job creation.

October 18, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. upstateny

Sounds like Mitt has the wife of his dreams. A woman that can not verbalize her own thoughts or opinions. Believe it or not as an Independent voter...as much as I want to like Romney, there's just something about him that I just can't... and I don't know what it is. I don't trust him but then again I can't name a politician that I do trust...it's kind of an oxymoron.

October 18, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Margo

Who is she, she has no opinion other than what her husband says and her job is to not blow his cover on how he plans to ruin the lives of women, the middle class, and all our young people when he starts another war. He's a repub with a mean streak and the thought of him being president is frightening. He needs to stay in the business world and leave the country alone. He should go to whatever country he has his money stashed. Especially since all he is interested in is a small portion of this country's citizens.

October 18, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. scarf

Ann Romney is pro-life. Just not for 47% of America.

October 18, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. 1twinsfan

@Romney is not My Hero
    "LMAO!!!! Does this doll come with a dancing horse? I want to order one today."

Sheesh, of course not. That will cost you an extra $44.95. If you want a saddle, bridle and all the other trappings, that will be another $28.95.

October 18, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  10. Smitty

Obama is the same age as me. I served in desert storm and somalia. Why wasnt mr red white and blue love this country Obama there with me?

October 18, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Bookenz

What does Mitt Romney really stand for? Whatever will get him elected.

To sum him up: The truth, although interesting, is irrelevant.

October 18, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Jean

When Obama was on the View he said he was there to be "eye candy" for the women (no ego in that statement!). I don't think it is very presidential to go on a daytime talk show and describe yourself as eye candy. I, for one, would like to see Obama use that time for more important presidentIal matters – like meetings to improve security in our consulates and embassies.

October 18, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. Raggedy Ann Romney

Romney is not My Hero: @Raggedy Ann Romney

What a doll, that Raggedy Ann is. You, too, can bring her home to love.

Just like the real thing: Stuffings where her brain is supposed to be, and if you pull her string she has 5 different phrases:

1. It's our time.
    2. Stop it.
    3. This Is hard.
    4. I love you women!
    5. I know what it's like to struggle.

Act now and your Raggedy Ann will come with the bonus phrase: We've given all you people need to know.
    _______________________________________________________________

LMAO!!!! Does this doll come with a dancing horse? I want to order one today.

*********************

We initially had no plans to produce a dancing horse, but we have had such an overwhelming response to the Raggedy Ann, and requests have already begun pouring in for Rafalca.

He's still in the planning stages, but he's going to be a 1:100 scale model complete with moving appendages.

He comes with t-shirts that you can dress him up in with 3 different phrases:

1. The top of the plane has a window seat.
    2. I went to London, and all I got was this stupid T-shirt.
    3. Daddy's little tax deduction.

October 18, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. Thomas

The parent company Apollo Group ,The company owns and operates four higher-learning institutions: the University of Phoenix, Western International University, Axia College.

Big Romney supporters , stock plunges do to layoffs and bad bookeeping !

Big San Diego California Romney donors who made billions off of federal student loans and Veteran recruitment fraud .

October 18, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. MCR

The reported rape rate will quadruple if something this idiotic ever passes. And it'll only be the women living in fear after a real rape who'll be too scared to fill out the paperwork and actually get an abortion. The proponents of this are either unbelievably stupid or just trying to ban abortion outright.

October 18, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  16. Julie

I know Mrs Romney has been called the better half of her marriage and a "humanizing" factor for her spouse. I'm not sure that's saying much though – her charm eludes me. She seems arrogant, smug and snappish to me.
    I don't care how many kids she's got, all that says about a person is their ability and willingness to use birth control, it has no bearing on ones compassion or empathy. Although I'm sorry she has MS – it too isn't a character witness. I know several people with MS – and they deal with it sans premium health insurance or wealth.
    If she's her husbands better half – then I'm REALLY worried about him.

October 18, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. Dan

LOL!!!

October 18, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Jason

Another try to cover up the lies of her flip flopping husband, she really seems like someone who is so very disingenuous.

October 18, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. Loverne a concerned poor mother

My brother was in school when he got drafted for Viet Nam. Where was Mitt, still hiding behind religion. He has 5 sons and is always talking about war!! are his sons signing up. please ask him!! everytime he can't answer a question he gets Ryan or his wife or someone else to answer. he can't think of anything to say until obama says it first. i am an independant voter, But Mitt give us something to believe in!!!

October 18, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. GI Joe

She's just too fake and snooty. Not classy. More like brassey.

Yuck. Not in my lifetime.

And, why can't she comb her hair once in awhile?

October 18, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. mdn

The Romney's will tell you ANYTHING you need to hear in order to vote for him. He is a business/salesman. He is will to say what is necessary to close the deal.

October 18, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. ritmocojo

Ah, those Mormon women.

October 18, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. the prophet

Obama does not understand global economics, as long as the US will be the leading producer of weapons in the world the us will not advance in other areas of economy. One can not feed a family with weapons to eat, and flowers for the dead, Education is the most valuable asset of society to weapons. Romney is a leader in understanding economics and as a leader he can lead not wait to be lad.

October 18, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Mitt the twit hiding behind Ann's skirt again. President Obama biotch slapped the twit about Libya in the debate,so he runs behind his wife for the tenth time during the campaign.

October 18, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Barbara

I can't believe Ann Romney even graced those women with her presence! Those are some of the most evil, vicious, Godless women on the planet, except for Elizabeth. Anyone who sides with them is obvioulsy in their same category and you get what you deserve if Obama wins re-election.

October 18, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |