October 18th, 2012

Springsteen's new ditty for Obama

(CNN) – The campaign trail got a visit from The Boss on Thursday. Rock legend Bruce Springsteen performed at an event for Obama's campaign in Parma, Ohio, where he debuted a new song he wrote for the president.

Before playing the new tune, Springsteen joked that President Obama had called him up and asked for help writing a campaign theme song.

"I said you called the right guy," Springsteen added.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The singer said he wanted to include the campaign's slogan, "Forward," in the song, but lamented at word's lyrical challenge.

"It's better than backward, a little better than sideward," he said. "You don't want sideward on no bumper stickers."

Saying it was his "duty as a man," however, Springsteen said he finished the song but asked that the audience shout "Forward" after every line.

He then began strumming:

"I kissed your sister and I kissed your mama

Forward!

Usually this time of day I'm in your pajamas

Forward!

Let's vote for the man who got Osama

Forward!

Forward and away we go."

Pausing, Springsteen weighed in on his struggle with the rest of the song.

"When I got to the second verse I had a problem because I couldn't think of any other words that rhyme with Obama," he said, drawing laughs.

He continued:

"I came to Ohio lookin' for a date

Forward!

We kissed and I said it's a helluva state

Forward!

We made love but it wasn't so great

Forward, and away we go

Smilin' Joe, he really brought the drama

Tuesday, Romney was schooled by Obama

Forward!"

Springsteen repeated his rhyming problem with the president's name, adding "so that was the end of it."

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • President Obama
  1. truth hurts

===========================================================================
    He was of course referring to our country under Obama's empty suit nonleadership.

October 18, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. TheVoice2

Mitt Phony's motto "make me President now, I'll give you details later"

Noticed on the second debate he ran out of one liners. He used the same ones from the first debate.

October 18, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Phil from Licking County

Go Boss!

October 18, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. chuck

The Boss is here for the middle class, Obama 2012 Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012Obama 2012.

October 18, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Frank - FL

I heard Candy Crowley was the opening act for Springsteen at Obama's concert!!!

October 18, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

The Boss!!!!
    Bruce Springsteen stepping up for America, for our President, for our future!
    Thank you Bruce!
    FORWARD AMERICA!!! FORWARD on November 6th and everyday thereafter with President Obama!!!!
    Obama 2012.

October 18, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

Singing is NOT a qualifier for telling voters how to vote.

Too bad Springsteen is so misled.

October 18, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. WiredweirdinSF

I know you won't hear about it in the mainstream liberally biased media, but Obama actually does have Cayman Island accounts and a bigger pension than Romney, check out the Drudge Report. So I guess Obama scored points on Romney with the help of Candy Crowley through what else "LYING."

October 18, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Sniffit

Haha...some harmless fun. Watch how fast those lyrics send the "family values" crowd into a conniption.

October 18, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Ready

The Boss won't help, he couldn't help Kerry either. The Obama boat is sinking, the fact he's having to campaign in New Hampshire and Iowa is not a good sign.

October 18, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. SoSad

And Kid Rock does what for Mittens?????

That's why Bruce is the MAN...............

October 18, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Reality (Formerly "Fact" until an extreme conservative stole it)

GObama!!! Because President Obama actual cares about 100% of our citizens. Also, President Obama has been fixing the mess made by "Romney/Ryan"-like people in office. Reality (Formerly "Fact" until an extreme conservative stole it)

October 18, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Fortinbras

Despite Romneys best efforts, hes still coming up short in Ohio among likely voters and early voters. In fact, hes coming up very short among early voters. And Romney himself has repeatedly acknowledged that he absolutely needs Ohio. Well hes never broken ahead in Ohio. And at this point, its probably too late. There are very few undecided voters left. And he shouldnt count on Obama voter apathy, not in ad deluged Ohio.

October 18, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Has Ted Nuggent written anything about the schooling Romney got at President Obama's lap Tuesday night?
    Let me help your drug-and-alcohol addled mind Ted. The second line should rhyme with:
    Romney got caught lying in front of 65 million people. The gig is up.......

Obama 2012. Seriously America.

October 18, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Marie MD

To the haters, remember easteood's empty chair and nugget or Williams jr. I bet Sringsteen didn't call the non working wife or rice names like nugget did or call for anyone's death.

October 18, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. One More For You, Boss

A vote for Romney would be such a trauma......

October 18, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. Name

Haha....legend

October 18, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. robert Davis

I've always respected the BOSS. NO more.. Sell Out.. He hurt his image more than he knows

October 18, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. Gulfwwind

"Born in Kenya:

October 18, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. CryBabies

Bruce was cool in the 70's....as was Elton John. Now....I wouldn't walk across the street to watch them perform. Anyway, I put more thought into voting than what some entertainer has to say....especially an entertainer.

October 18, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. CryBabies

Hell of a song Bruce!

October 18, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. Snarkyboy

Good God the Boss is at a LOSS with this one.

I'm wrote this here song – Backward!
    I think I got it wrong – Backward!
    I'm on the campain trail – Backward!
    I know I'll get hate mail – Backward!

October 18, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. cyberhackster

I always knew he had a problem

October 18, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. Some More For You, Boss

A vote for Romney would be such a trauma......

Forward!

Because he dissed our troops and our grandmama......

Forward!

Barack's America is a panorama.........

Forward!

We're voting Barack cause we're not going back.........

October 18, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. cali girl

Here is the new song for Robmey Modified from the Thompson Twins

you told me you loved me (Robmey to the American Public)
    so i don't understand
    why promises are snapped in two
    and words are made to bend
    (the bigger, the better)
    some stolen from China
    collected from around the world, (England LOVED Robmey)
    they'll catch you if they can
    (chorus)