October 18th, 2012

Springsteen's new ditty for Obama

(CNN) – The campaign trail got a visit from The Boss on Thursday. Rock legend Bruce Springsteen performed at an event for Obama's campaign in Parma, Ohio, where he debuted a new song he wrote for the president.

Before playing the new tune, Springsteen joked that President Obama had called him up and asked for help writing a campaign theme song.

"I said you called the right guy," Springsteen added.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The singer said he wanted to include the campaign's slogan, "Forward," in the song, but lamented at word's lyrical challenge.

"It's better than backward, a little better than sideward," he said. "You don't want sideward on no bumper stickers."

Saying it was his "duty as a man," however, Springsteen said he finished the song but asked that the audience shout "Forward" after every line.

He then began strumming:

"I kissed your sister and I kissed your mama

Forward!

Usually this time of day I'm in your pajamas

Forward!

Let's vote for the man who got Osama

Forward!

Forward and away we go."

Pausing, Springsteen weighed in on his struggle with the rest of the song.

"When I got to the second verse I had a problem because I couldn't think of any other words that rhyme with Obama," he said, drawing laughs.

He continued:

"I came to Ohio lookin' for a date

Forward!

We kissed and I said it's a helluva state

Forward!

We made love but it wasn't so great

Forward!

Forward, and away we go

Smilin' Joe, he really brought the drama

Forward!

Tuesday, Romney was schooled by Obama

Forward!"

Springsteen repeated his rhyming problem with the president's name, adding "so that was the end of it."

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • President Obama
  1. Tree

WiredweirdinSF

I know you won't hear about it in the mainstream liberally biased media, but Obama actually does have Cayman Island accounts and a bigger pension than Romney, check out the Drudge Report. So I guess Obama scored points on Romney with the help of Candy Crowley through what else "LYING."

Please take youe MEDS please if that was the case you right wingers would of got that 5 years ago. Stop the LIES because GOD is going to get you for that.................sicko

October 18, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. Frabj

Obama and the Boss.....both has beens! This will hurt Springsteen's career.

October 18, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. Sniffit

"check out the Drudge Report."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHa....cough cough cough...DEEEEEEP BREATH....HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAhAHA!!!!!! Wow....I needed that...thank you. Can I borrow yuor tinfoil hat sometime too?

October 18, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"Singing is NOT a qualifier for telling voters how to vote. "

Right...only employers are qualified to tell their employees how to vote.

October 18, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. robert Davis

I lost all respect for the BOSS. I will never attend another concert of his nor will I purchase anything of his..
    Everyone else follow suit.If the liberals can do this so can we...

October 18, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Critical Thinking

Bruce, you might need a new song for after the monday night foreign policy debate

October 18, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Critical Thinking

How about this :

Libya, oh my Libya, if I only knew
    that my ego and lies
    would be my waterloo

October 18, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. Ryan Cincinnati

First of all Frabj! Bruce is 63 years old and a icon! A true American hero. I hardly think this will hurt his career. You will never understand this because you are to weak minded and intellectually lazy. I mean you are flowwing Romney right? I bet you were big follwer of Bush as well. lol lol lol lol

October 18, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. David

Yeah, Critical Thinking ... Libya was a LOT better off with Gaddafi.

GM is alive and Bin Laden & Gaddafi are dead. Soon Assar will be as well.

Obama/Biden 2012!

October 18, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Rina

Love you Bruce! Thanks for doing so much for the poor and the middle class and thanks for supporting Obama!

October 18, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. buzz1975

BRUCE!!!!! Loved it. :)

October 18, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Larry L

Rick McDaniel

Singing is NOT a qualifier for telling voters how to vote.

Too bad Springsteen is so misled.
    -----------------------------------------------
    You may be right about the singing. Ted Nugent is big buddies with Romney and Ted can't sing. Is crapping your pants to avoid the draft a qualifier? He and Romney have so much in common!

October 18, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Wondering Wanda

Critical thinking
    If Mitt wins–World War III –will be a realty– I hope you are signed up to join the ranks cause' the 47% and many others are staying home–so his base will have to turn out with McCain being the the Sec of State to fight off many more attacks, The whole world knows America is broke from all the Republicans' stuff –T Romenywill get to go hit somebody in another country!!!

October 18, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. wolfpackbob

"It is The Economy, Mr. President. Your Economy, Mr. President. You built that." Sorry, that doesn't rhyme. But it's the blues so it doesn't have to.

October 18, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. A Grandma

And Romney has Hank Williams Jr. and his hate rhetoric on his side. Just goes to show who has the most class. Thanks Boss! To the righties who are crying because the Boss isn't buying Romney's lies and BS....eat it!

October 18, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. Larry L

@Critical Thinking

How about this :

Libya, oh my Libya, if I only knew
    that my ego and lies
    would be my waterloo
    -----------------------------------------------–
    Only low-life would try to use an operational crisis to try to discredit the political opposition. You and the other Fox News pawns are sorry examples of Americans, disloyal to our country and bigoted to the core. Don't put your hand over your heart when the flag passes. Put them over your face so real patriots don't see the shame in your eyes.

October 18, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

I have to laugh at the feigned indignation of the mouth breather crowd. The Boss has never shied away from politics, nor has he ever made a secret of his political leanings. That makes me believe that the outraged teeth gnashers on this thread are working in a call center in some third world hellhole typing their fingers off for fifty cents a day and have never even heard of him. If it weren't so funny it would be sad.

October 18, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. California Gary

Romney gets Kid Rock........Obama gets the Boss. Obama is the clear winner in this one.

October 18, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Ryan Cincinnati

Amen Malory Archer!

October 18, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. California Gary

He didn't build the economy wolfpackbob.......but he is working hard at repairing it after trickle down economics ripped a big hole in it. The very same trickle down economics Romney wants to take us back to.

October 18, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"If Mitt wins–World War III –will be a realty"

I'm thinking more along the lines of the plutocrats finally gaining enough control and enacting enough of their self-serving agenda to set in motion the downslide into the second civil war. Believe this; America's Robespierre has already been born and we just don't know who it is yet.

October 18, 2012 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  22. steven

HFS...really Bruce?
    I just threw away all my Bruce cds/albums
    Bye Bye Boss

October 18, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. Dara

HAHAHA That's right all you repubs, Springsteen is a liberal! Booooorn in the USA

October 18, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Derek

The leftards commenting are so pathetic. All the conservatives ask the leftards to do, is take care of yourself. Sadly, many of you can't because you're losers & expect Government (tax payer money) to take care of you. You call yourselves patriotic? Please, you clowns belong in Europe.

October 18, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Thomas

It's so funny , people all over the world think we are crazy to even think of electing a guy like Romney.

Obama was the first president since Clinton , who when traveling to other countries didn't start riots in the street.

@robert Davis
    Everyone else follow suit.If the liberals can do this so can we...

You sound just like Tagg Romney Mr Davis , A spoiled child !

October 18, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |