October 18th, 2012
1 year ago

Springsteen's new ditty for Obama

(CNN) – The campaign trail got a visit from The Boss on Thursday. Rock legend Bruce Springsteen performed at an event for Obama's campaign in Parma, Ohio, where he debuted a new song he wrote for the president.

Before playing the new tune, Springsteen joked that President Obama had called him up and asked for help writing a campaign theme song.

"I said you called the right guy," Springsteen added.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The singer said he wanted to include the campaign's slogan, "Forward," in the song, but lamented at word's lyrical challenge.

"It's better than backward, a little better than sideward," he said. "You don't want sideward on no bumper stickers."

Saying it was his "duty as a man," however, Springsteen said he finished the song but asked that the audience shout "Forward" after every line.

He then began strumming:

"I kissed your sister and I kissed your mama

Forward!

Usually this time of day I'm in your pajamas

Forward!

Let's vote for the man who got Osama

Forward!

Forward and away we go."

Pausing, Springsteen weighed in on his struggle with the rest of the song.

"When I got to the second verse I had a problem because I couldn't think of any other words that rhyme with Obama," he said, drawing laughs.

He continued:

"I came to Ohio lookin' for a date

Forward!

We kissed and I said it's a helluva state

Forward!

We made love but it wasn't so great

Forward!

Forward, and away we go

Smilin' Joe, he really brought the drama

Forward!

Tuesday, Romney was schooled by Obama

Forward!"

Springsteen repeated his rhyming problem with the president's name, adding "so that was the end of it."

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • President Obama
  1. England

We don't care much for the Romney guy. When he came to London, he managed to insult us on numerous occasions. The guy really just doesn't have a clue how stupid he is. You Americans better pay attention. You're going to make a mistake that would make you the laughing stock of the world.

The guy really hasn't a clue.

“I also feel, as Americans do across our nation, a special relationship with the nation of Great Britain and with the people here, and obviously our appreciation for the contribution of British soldiers fighting side by side with those of the coalition and those from our nation in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the last many years is something which is important to us.”

Along with breaking the news to Mr. Romney that the Soviet Union he keeps referring to hasn't existed in more than two decades, someone might want to take him aside and gently point out that the nation called Great Britain hasn't existed for more than two centuries: it's been the United Kingdom since 1801. Great Britain is an island, rather like Mr. Romney's worldview–while England, another of Mr. Romney's unfortunate assertions notwithstanding, is not.

This calls our attention to an idiotic passage from his book, “No Apology,” in which he dismissed Britain as “just a small island,” and went on:

Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn’t make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn’t been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler’s ambitions. Yet only two lifetimes ago, Britain ruled the largest and wealthiest empire in the history of humankind. Britain controlled a quarter of the earth’s land and a quarter of the earth’s population.

You conservatives better hope your guy with ZERO foreign policy experience has done some studying. He's got no foreign policy experience, and Paul Ryan has zero also. Pretty dumb choice. So you get the Bush neocon war machine back if you're dumb enough to elect this guy, and they pick up where they left off.

Think twice before you cast a vote for Mitt the Twit. He's a real Nowhere Man.

October 18, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Derek

The Leftarded & CNN. A match made in heaven

October 18, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. Amy Cincinnati

Hats off to Bruce! One of the most influential forces in American music reflecting on American values that are at stake in this election: women's rights, gay rights, ending the war in Iraq and tracking down Osama bin Laden. Not sure why this is not a clear decision–especially for women voters. And, let's see....stumping for Obama you have a Rhodes Scholar and former President Bill Clinton and the Boss. Romney cannot even associate himself with George W. Bush (whose similar policies got us in this mess in the first place). Clint Eastwood and Ted Nugent!?

October 18, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. RiadaKram

I just keep chuckling at these ULTRA RICH celebrities who don't mind pushing a commie agenda on the rest of us. After all, I've got mine they must think. Screw the middle class. Let them drown in taxes and an ever increasing leviathan state.

October 18, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Zeke

Good job Bruce. I love how Republicans always say that people from the music business should keep their opinions to themselves except for Ted Nugent & Hank Williams Jr...I guess it's the same way that everyone from Hollywood is suspect except for Clint Eastwood, Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

October 18, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. Critical Thinking

It's interesting, when the dems don't like the news they call those who tell the truth low lifes.

I am soooooo going to enjoy the monday debate...can't wait to hear Obama's next lie.

October 18, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. BLH

I'm w/you, Robert Davis. This changes everything...I loved his last album and thought so many songs were anti-Obama and his wrath at what's happened to the middle class. Turns out I was wrong? I mean, who was BS trying to reach by knocking on the door that held the thrown?

October 18, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. j

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolf Hitler

October 18, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. Namejkane sfl a vote for lady parts romney the tax cheat and lyin lady parts ryan willcut your moms medicare and soc sec . .can you afford to pay for them???

The boss is the devil to the Mormon cult and romney the tax cheat is their pope
    ?????

October 18, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. lynette

Ah, most definitely forward Bruce! No doubt a cool tune!!!!!

Obama/Biden 2012

October 18, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"You conservatives better hope your guy with ZERO foreign policy experience has done some studying. He's got no foreign policy experience, and Paul Ryan has zero also."

You don't need foreign policy experience to be a neocon. The only tool they have is a hammer, so everything looks like a nail. Mittens and the rest have one answer for all of it: war.

They never figured out that war isn't an answer (nor is it THE answer)....it's the failing grade that shows you already answered all the questions wrong.

October 18, 2012 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. areyoucraycray?!

You people are taing this way too seriously! Anyone who is familiar with Bruce knows this is his humor, a joke! He is amping up the crowd. I Child please! The man (Bruuuce!) is so popular and talented do you really think THIS will hurt his career? Did his endorsement of Kerry? Nope, still selling out tours. Thank you Bruce for bringing some laughs to this tense election crowd. Thank you for all the blood, sweat, and memories!
    Please America, do your homework before you head out to the poles, or don't vote at all!!! Also, please get your facts from the official campaign websites: not from FOX news or your friends.

October 18, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. Butch

I'm a big Boss fan. I'm just getting tired of people telling me how I should feel or vote. It's an insult to me to have Bruce tell me how I should vote. Like I don't know how to make the decision on my own or that it's not important enough for me to weight the issues myself. I'll decide for myself. Your still a good song writer and I'm entertained by your music but I'll make my own choices on election day thank you.

Butch

October 18, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Pratek

Who cares what some Brit has to say about Romney? Do lackeys in London get to vote in this election? I know there's a chance that they'll get to vote due to no verification of their right to vote.....

October 18, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. Pratek

Oh yeah, Bruce is so middle class. All you liberals can relate to him. NOT

October 18, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. myviewis

Ah, you guys didn't like my comment that this song is about Abortion and Birth Control???? it's written all over it. Springsteen is making a point, get it???

"Usually this time of day I'm in your pajamas"
    "We made love but it wasn't so great"

Or we could say that Springsteen is recognizing that our country has reached its end

""so that was the end of it."

October 18, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. LacrosseMom

Thanks Bruce!!!

October 18, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. larrylfd

Because someone who makes "music" with a guitar expresses his/her pollitical opinions, what differences?
    He/she is just another person. His/her opinion is determined by subjective "feelings."
    That's fine.
    But it's curious that entertainers and celebraties (stars?) vocally support President Obama.
    Narcissists seem to have something in common: they want to be "center stage" even if they've never really have nothing of substance to say.
    LD

October 18, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. Okay Then

Just shaking my head, tisk tisk..."Badlands" woulda been better..!

October 18, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  20. hp

That does it for me. I will not listen to bruce no more.........

October 18, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. Roy Mustang

Hey, Bruce. Good news! You don't need to re-elect Obama to pay a marginal rate of 39.7% on your income. You can do that right now. And think of how many hundreds of starving children you could have feed if you flew commercial like the rest of us. Selfish jerks like Springsteen needs to mind his own business before telling us what to do.

October 18, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  22. gahh

Don't care for Bruce's latest song, "We take care of our own". If he had checked it out, he would have seen the poor job the VA is doing, taking care of our veterans. Some veterans have to wait 2 years, to get medical care. We are not taking care of our own, because we have so many in need. We can thank Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld, for our unfunded and unnecessary wars, that left this country with so many crippled veterans. Crippled in the mind, as well as the body. God Bless our Soldiers.

October 18, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  23. Mr. Reality

Bruce forgot comma, drama, and llama.

October 18, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. marx

With the damage done to the US economy by the republicans since 2009 in other to defeat Obama,even if Mitt Romney wins the US economy will never recover again.China is set to take over and i see the US economy drop from the top three.

October 18, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Burt

Too bad, always thought Bruce was intelligent.

October 18, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |