October 18th, 2012

Springsteen's new ditty for Obama

(CNN) – The campaign trail got a visit from The Boss on Thursday. Rock legend Bruce Springsteen performed at an event for Obama's campaign in Parma, Ohio, where he debuted a new song he wrote for the president.

Before playing the new tune, Springsteen joked that President Obama had called him up and asked for help writing a campaign theme song.

"I said you called the right guy," Springsteen added.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The singer said he wanted to include the campaign's slogan, "Forward," in the song, but lamented at word's lyrical challenge.

"It's better than backward, a little better than sideward," he said. "You don't want sideward on no bumper stickers."

Saying it was his "duty as a man," however, Springsteen said he finished the song but asked that the audience shout "Forward" after every line.

He then began strumming:

"I kissed your sister and I kissed your mama

Forward!

Usually this time of day I'm in your pajamas

Forward!

Let's vote for the man who got Osama

Forward!

Forward and away we go."

Pausing, Springsteen weighed in on his struggle with the rest of the song.

"When I got to the second verse I had a problem because I couldn't think of any other words that rhyme with Obama," he said, drawing laughs.

He continued:

"I came to Ohio lookin' for a date

Forward!

We kissed and I said it's a helluva state

Forward!

We made love but it wasn't so great

Forward!

Forward, and away we go

Smilin' Joe, he really brought the drama

Forward!

Tuesday, Romney was schooled by Obama

Forward!"

Springsteen repeated his rhyming problem with the president's name, adding "so that was the end of it."

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • President Obama
  1. California Gary

So robert davis.......that was the liberals that boycotted the Dixie Chicks and tried to ruin their careers? Man, my memory must be failing me........

October 18, 2012 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. adinfinitum7

Get Barack back in the White House Jack.

October 18, 2012 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. Positive Wasserman Schultz

Crescent Non-news Network, what a menagerie of densepacks comprise your audience! They nicely match your commentators.

October 18, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Aaron Moore

Bruce Springsteen. 'Nuff said. And Republicans are out of touch.

October 18, 2012 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  5. J R Brown

I'm gonna take Bruce Springsteen seriously when he starts voluntarily paying 45% of his income in taxes...until then, he's just another blowhard out to make a buck any way he can. Personally, I can't believe a "rock legend" can't work up a better song than a 3rd grader.

October 18, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. tim smith

Grew up listening to Bruce, but I will never listen to him again, What a Loser!!

October 18, 2012 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  7. See Novak

Most people have had about enough of "Bruce". He used to be a great rocker....not too many hits lately. He's trying to be Pete Seeger now and it just isn't working............

October 18, 2012 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  8. dennis

He is taking over 719 million dollars from medicare to pay for obama care – his numbers.

You think that's treating seniors fairly?

He bows to foreign leaders? You think that shows leadership? He refuses to wear a national pin?

This guy is a joke...

October 18, 2012 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. Nan

Love Bruce, Love Bill. Let me at em...

October 18, 2012 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Jada

Wow fav show well if carol asuz reading this I'm your bigest fan!

October 18, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  11. The Unsub

to all my republican, independent, and democratic brothers and sisters, please vote an all Democratic ticket this November! Let's save the world from the GOP fanatics!

October 18, 2012 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. phoenix86

Looks like Springsteen has reached the very end of his career.

October 18, 2012 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. .

Bruce is loosin' it.

October 18, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  14. gar

England-

America hears you. Thank you for your astute commentary.

October 18, 2012 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. IMWOLF

Bruce, and many like him are the clueless ones. Saw some of his comments today on TV...he brought up the war on women (hahaha) the fool doesn't understand that no one can reverse Roe-V-Wade except the Surpreme court. Romney-Ryan-Obama...even Slick Willie Clinton who waged a private war on women during his presidency.

October 18, 2012 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. GuyinVA

Mama, pajamas, and Osama... destined to be a classic.

October 18, 2012 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. billNY

RomneyRyan2012 Forward!

October 18, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  18. Squigman

Forward, always. Romney/Ryan, equal repression and oppression. Obama/Biden 2012.

October 18, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  19. Straigt8

Do you think he will write another song for Obama after he loses the election? Or will the "Boss" be at a loss? We shall see!

October 18, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. wermet

That song sucked! There's a reason that I only listen to very old Springsteen songs.

October 18, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. 0rangeW3dge

uhhh, Bruce? I think it's the age to lay off the sauce,,OK?
    ...and it's a lot better than Hank Jr's ... but you gotta work on it, Son

maybe would have been more accurate

October 18, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. Namebaber

Who are u Romney and where did u come from people wake up this man knows no struggle. To believe. That this man would do the world any good is to be foolish. When has a Republican did us any good? This world is a mess because of them and the love to keep the world divided.

October 18, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  23. Namebaber

Obama is the man my child needs education Romney is a jerk don't believe and the world and the people will fell the pain crazy the love to keep us down

October 18, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. Zumbaqueen

I totally agree....too little , too late for the Boss to try and revive this faltering campaign..the curtain has been pulled aside and the Wizard has been exposed for the lackluster mortal he has always been, no longer protected by a fawning media in the debates where he's finally alone on the stage, his failed four years weighting him down like a giant millstone around his neck

October 18, 2012 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  25. Thomas

@BLH
    I'm w/you, Robert Davis. This changes everything...I loved his last album and thought so many songs were anti-Obama and his wrath at what's happened to the middle class.

=======

You and Robert need to listen a little deeper if you want to hear.

But then again , you need to have an open mind !

October 19, 2012 01:44 am at 1:44 am |