Survey: Catholics divided on political issues, as adherent numbers decline
October 22nd, 2012

Survey: Catholics divided on political issues, as adherent numbers decline

Washington (CNN) - As important as the Catholic vote is in the 2012 election, a new survey finds that the group is far from monolithic and is not largely focused on the issues that get a lot of attention from church leaders – abortion and gay marriage.

Among the Catholics surveyed by the Public Religious Research Institute, 60% believe the Church should focus more on social justice issues and their obligation to the poor, even if it means focusing less on social issues like abortion and right to life.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Religion
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Many months ago I walked out of Mass when they let the folks from Crossroads go up to the pulpit to address the congregation.
    Church should be a place where one can find spiritual peace, solace, comfort, and kisnhip. My Catholic church took to preaching against gays and taking not so subtle jabs at our President. I found both to be offensive and agenda-driven.
    They have and will continue to do without my weekly contribution$ .
    The God that I pray, kneel, bow down, and answer to resides everywhere and in us all.

October 22, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

All churches should stay out of politics or be taxed.

October 22, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. becky

Why are we even breaking this down to Catholics and them? Guess we are not all Americans.

October 22, 2012 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Chris

I voted for the Voiceless unborn whos Life starts at Conception. PROUD TO BE Catholic

October 22, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. mimi

Respect life. glad that i a catholic.

October 22, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Lloyd Small

Dominican Mama doesn't see to have a problem when African-American churches practice revolution theology and encourage violence against whites and other non-black groups. What about Farakan and his black supremacist Muslim group. There are over 134 separate religious groups recognized by the US Government in the United States. In order to prevail against those that would suppress religious freedom in the United States, churches must be politically savy.

October 22, 2012 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

The Catholic church is welcome to its opinion. My thought is that they shouldn't believe that they're opinion should a part of the conversation but not the only conversation. They have a voice and not a veto.

October 22, 2012 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  8. fernace

So let me get this straight! It's OK for a boy to be molested by a priest, but not OK for a woman to rule her own body? And Catholics are proud of this view? I'm glad I'm not a Catholic!! Obama Nov 6!

October 22, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Maureen

I absolutely agree. As a Catholic woman, I truly feel it is my duty to protect the underprivileged, poor, minorities, the elderly, environmental issues, educational rights to all, etc. Jesus taught us to respect and honor all those who need help. As a Christian woman I want to follow (or try to) follow in His footsteps.

October 22, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  10. Marie MD

catholics are leaving the church in droves. This is the 21st century and nobody tells you about contraceptives or gay marriage or women's rights.
    Until, and it will never happen, the catholic church wakes up it will get worse and worse.
    @Dominican Mama – good for you. The church should lose their no exempt status for having a bunch of teapublikkklans talk to them.

October 22, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  11. joe

The church which has its own set of problems needs to take care of them first. They turn a blind eye for years on the rape of their young men by priests and have the audacity to tell women what to do with their bodies. Churches need to stay out of politics or loose their non profit status.

October 22, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |