$1 trillion in defense cuts: What you need to know
October 23rd, 2012
1 year ago

$1 trillion in defense cuts: What you need to know

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - The looming spending cuts at the Pentagon played a starring role in Monday night's foreign policy debate.

Mitt Romney said several times he would "not cut our military budget by $1 trillion."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Military • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. judy dallaris

Romney was able to turn all obama'a attacks back all while looking so laid back and in control that it seemed effortless while obama was made to look incompetent again and again. There's no question that romney runs rings around obama when it comes to intelligence and poise. obama came to portray romney as a war monger and romney neatly sidestepped every thrust while pointing out the tinder box that the mideast is right now and the dismal performance of obama on the econonomy even with a democratic congress. romney didn't need to say a word about libya because now it's been picked up by mainstream media. I wonder what the military and veterans thought of how the ambassador was hung out to dry? all of us did not come down in the last rain. it was also nice to see obama hoist on his own petard or was it his own bayonet?

October 23, 2012 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  2. Sam

For some reason, it seems like Romney will say anything to get elected President of the United States... If that's the case, and he wins, he'll make everything in America better by applying his business knowledge to running the government. In business, you fire a worker who isn't doing their job. How's he going to fire senators & congressmen & women?

October 23, 2012 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  3. Valerie

The people of this country have had enough. As a college graduate (B.A. 2000, M.B.A. 2002) living on 15,000 a year before taxes, I now regret furthering my education. I have put myself into massive debt that I can not pay off. When I listen to Romney talk about his plan to fix the economy I am insulted. He suggests capital gains deductions to help people. With an income of 15,000 I am barely able to survive. I am not in a position to make investments and diversify my portfolio because I need to eat. I see right through Romney, I may live in poverty but I am intelligent.
    The concentration of wealth in this country is appalling. I am also tired of all the fear tactics and negativity. We, the people have enough to worry about. Romney can not possibly relate to the average American. Obama has my vote.

October 23, 2012 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  4. IKE

If Romney wants to cut the deficit, he has to cut defense. He won't hesitate to cut social security.He wants to buy more ships for perpetual war. Whose kids will be on those ship? not his.

October 23, 2012 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  5. Sandy

CUT DEFENSE SPENDING!! The politicians are so addicted to the money from Military Industrial Complex lobbyist, they use fear to try and convince us that we can 'kill our way out of this'. Ridiculous! We spend more than the next 10 countries COMBINED. We CAN'T afford it anymore.

October 23, 2012 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  6. Gurgyl

Pray god for USA go to early vote all for OBAMA12. Educated telling.
    PS: nation needs education not Wars!!!!!!!

October 23, 2012 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  7. Sandy

CUT Defense Spending NOW. A lot! Do not believe the fear mongering rhetoric spewed by politicians ADDICTED to money from the Military Industrial Complex lobbyists! We spend more than the next 10 countries combined. We can't 'kill our way out of this'. Besides, we can't afford it anymore.

October 23, 2012 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  8. machine

It's obvious Willard is a flip flopper.He says one thing and says another.I understand all Presidents do this but to do this only weeks apart lol.Willard,will not be elected.I have faith that Americans still have a sense of sanity left in them.However,by some chance Willard is elected,God help us all.Also Get ready for more wars in the sand.The famous Republican phrase:Drill baby drill.

October 23, 2012 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  9. Malory Archer

judy dallaris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you have the candidates confused honey. mittens was sweating bullets as President Obama ripped him to shreds. Shades of the Kennedy Nixon debate, and we all know how that turned out don't we?

October 23, 2012 08:59 am at 8:59 am |