Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark
October 23rd, 2012
1 year ago

Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark

(CNN) – Tagg Romney, Mitt Romney's oldest son, apologized to President Barack Obama Monday for saying he wanted to "take a swing" at him during contentious presidential debates.

Obama and Tagg Romney were seen speaking on the stage after Monday's final presidential debate, held at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida. Two Obama aides said the conversation included an apology for the remark, made last week during a radio interview.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Asked in that interview what it's like "to hear the President of the United States call your dad a liar," Tagg Romney joked about his fantasy response.

"Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him," he said. "But you know you can't do that because, well, first because there's a lot of Secret Service between you and him, but also because that's the nature of the process. You know they're going to try to do anything they can do to make my dad into something he's not."

"We signed up for it, we've got to kind of sit there and take our punches, and send them the other way," he continued.

One of Tagg Romney's brothers, Josh, downplayed the comments in an interview on ABC's "The View."

"That brother has slugged me a couple of times," Josh Romney said. "I'm sure President Obama has nothing to worry about."

Asked about the original comments on Thursday, Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said Tagg Romney was "joking about how frustrating this process can be for family."

CNN's Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debate
soundoff (1,021 Responses)
  1. Joann street

Tagg should have made a public apology!

October 24, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  2. Tina

I knew he was apologizing I was reading his lips. This just confirmed it for me lol. Thanks

October 24, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  3. Justin

Believe me Tagg, I didn't need Obama to define your Dad for me to not like him. He does a great job just opening his mouth.

October 24, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  4. AnAmericanWHocares

don't argue with these folks ...waste of time do like me go sign up at Obama/Biden and STAND UP....make a difference....make calls like i do....or volunteer locally any way you can ..We are starting to turn a page America..don't let Romney close the book.

October 24, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  5. 3 quarters

Mittens sure raised some violent kids!

October 24, 2012 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  6. Bowing Chia Pet

...why? ...the bowing chia pet in chief had no qualms about calling his Dad a liar.

October 24, 2012 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  7. John

If Tagg doen't want to take a swing, I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 24, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  8. mike k.

I'm, like, super-psyched about the upcoming Romney family reality show. I hope it's on Bravo and not TLC; that way I can flip between them and Honey Boo-Boo. Trippy.

October 24, 2012 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  9. Ed1

I wouldn't have done it Obama deserved the comment just like the last debate I thought it was Biden up there but they are two peas in a pod.

October 24, 2012 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  10. Peri Browner

Sounds like young Romney has anger management problems. Maybe a stint in the military would get his head straight. Has anyone in that family EVER served our country? I think not.

October 24, 2012 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  11. roy

Son like father flip de flop.

October 24, 2012 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  12. Dan

He only would if his buddies had his back.

October 24, 2012 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  13. Sane Citizen

The truth angers Romney's family, doesn't it?

October 24, 2012 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  14. assuredcapitalmgmt

It appears that the young man has some class. Too bad most do not have the same amount of class to apologize for their miss statements and slander

October 24, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  15. dori

Though I intend to vote for President Obama, I have admired the great family the Romney's are. It was confirmed with the high road taken by Mitt's son in his apology. If only his example was one Congress could embrace just think of what a better world we would all have, especially since manners and common decency is not common practice today. Can Mitt become a father figure for our representatives?

October 24, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  16. silencedogood20

Its only natural for a child to want to defend their parent. I'm sure if you asked Sasha and Malia they'd feel similarly. The media is making too much of this in yet another attempt to find something, anything to save Obama.

October 24, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  17. UBS, WILLARD & THE 4000+ AMERICAN AMNESTY DEAL

Apology not accepted. I would have loved to seen the POTUS hook off on that pompous trust fund baby.

October 24, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  18. AceGirlshusband

Barak told him, in a whisper, "If you're really sorry, you'll vote for me. Just don't tell your dad."

October 24, 2012 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  19. RW

People like "tag" is why I left the Mormons, it is truly a religion of money and power, not to mention believing that Church leaders WILL become GOD and "acquire" the wives of the lower church members for their "harems" in heaven. That part about JESUS and SATAN being brothers is off the scale.

October 24, 2012 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  20. K

Good sportsmanship, Tagg.

October 24, 2012 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  21. Name Arthur J. Barnes

I've gotta ask,did not Mr.Obama tell the truth? As an add on,"if you can't take the slickin'stay out of the kitchen".

October 24, 2012 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  22. MRHD

When I first heard about this I figured his son was just a young guy and maybe a little hot-headed. Then I found out the dude is over a decade older than I am. I'm sure it was in jest, but when you're a middle-aged man and your dad is running for president you should still have the sense not to make comments like that.

October 24, 2012 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  23. Dan

Tagg, you do not even know your father.

October 24, 2012 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  24. Barbara

I'm sure there's been one or two times that Michelle has wanted to take swing at O.

October 24, 2012 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  25. James

Like father, like son. The Romneys are nothing but bullies and think they are entitled to run over anyone they want. Mitt Romney admiited that he bullied fellow students and teachers when in school. A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for the bullies of this world, and that is not acceptable. Don not give him the chance to continue this pattern of behavior in the White House.

October 24, 2012 08:20 am at 8:20 am |