Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark
October 23rd, 2012
1 year ago

Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark

(CNN) – Tagg Romney, Mitt Romney's oldest son, apologized to President Barack Obama Monday for saying he wanted to "take a swing" at him during contentious presidential debates.

Obama and Tagg Romney were seen speaking on the stage after Monday's final presidential debate, held at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida. Two Obama aides said the conversation included an apology for the remark, made last week during a radio interview.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Asked in that interview what it's like "to hear the President of the United States call your dad a liar," Tagg Romney joked about his fantasy response.

"Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him," he said. "But you know you can't do that because, well, first because there's a lot of Secret Service between you and him, but also because that's the nature of the process. You know they're going to try to do anything they can do to make my dad into something he's not."

"We signed up for it, we've got to kind of sit there and take our punches, and send them the other way," he continued.

One of Tagg Romney's brothers, Josh, downplayed the comments in an interview on ABC's "The View."

"That brother has slugged me a couple of times," Josh Romney said. "I'm sure President Obama has nothing to worry about."

Asked about the original comments on Thursday, Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said Tagg Romney was "joking about how frustrating this process can be for family."

CNN's Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debate
soundoff (1,021 Responses)
  1. kim

typical Romney, must be inherited, say everything disrespectful and offensive, then apologize

October 24, 2012 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  2. Wake up People!

Yet another insincere apology from one of the right wing nutjobs. Don't worry President Obama knows BS when he hears it. That's the republican bigots way. Say whatever you want and MEAN it, then when you are put on the spot, pretend to be sorry and give a phony apology.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind would ever want to be associated with this gang of treasonous liars.

OBAMA 2012!

October 24, 2012 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  3. Ed1

In 1916 the military issued 108,000 bayonets. In 2012 the military deployed 330,000 M-9 bayonets. The lemmings followed Obama's "ZINGER" over the cliff!
    Hey Obama not only does the military use bayonets, the US Special forces also use horses in Afghanistan!

October 24, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  4. Mary

Is this newsworthy?
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't serious.
    And I'm pretty sure Obama was never in any danger.

October 24, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  5. John Stevens

Another Republican "take back." We should take them at their word the first time when they haven't had time to consider the consequences of their utterances.

October 24, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Just another example of how this Romney views the World around them by thinking they are the only ones on earth who become frustrated.

October 24, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  7. john

dats d beauty of democracy,,

October 24, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  8. Sandy

He probably apologized so the administration won't investigate him owning voting machines for this election! People please go to Change.org to sign the petition to have an investigation into these voting machines.

October 24, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  9. EP1

Alright, the son said something dumb and apologized. Move on.

I also thought his brothers response about his punch strength was pretty funny as well.

Barry is going to want to punch Mitt in a couple of weeks cause the gravy train is about to be over.

October 24, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  10. chill

It's political silly season again if anyone took this whole thing seriously. And frankly, I doubt many people outside the media did.

October 24, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  11. 123455abc

what happened to criticizing the "apology tour", apparently romney was playing tig tag toe when they though of how to name their mentally changed son, due to none stop insest.

October 24, 2012 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. Graham

We're becoming way to comfortable in this country with casual threats of violence against the President. You can think whatever you want about the man and his policies, but he holds the office of the President of the United States of America. If nothing else, respect that office. I know the canned response to anything about respecting the President is that Democrats were just as bad when Bush was President. No we weren't. Threats against the President have never been so vile, numerous, public, and accepted. Remember, patriotism isn't a switch you can turn on and off depending on your thoughts on the President. Either you respect the office of the President now, or you never really did.

October 24, 2012 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  13. jimmyjo

Pres Obama and Gov Romney looked like they were going to swing on each other! No need for Tagg! Lol

October 24, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  14. Karl

Apologize? Sure, why not? After all, making a "good" impression is vital to your fathers success in this election.

What was that again about Obama saying: "Mitt likes to shoot first and aim later" I guess we can see the relevance now. Like father, like son.

October 24, 2012 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  15. Romney The School Yard Bully

Just like his father, who tracked down and assaulted a classmate in a brutal act of bullying.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

October 24, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  16. holla

Obama will be defeated easily on election day!!!!!

October 24, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  17. John

The only thing Is that Mitt Romney Is Lying, So Tagg Romney If the Truth hurt you have your Dad to Quit Lying.

October 24, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  18. Cindy

I'm glad he apologized. This president has faced unprecedented disrespect. I remember when a shoe was thrown at President Bush- whom I did not vote for. I was utterly disgusted by that, but at least it was in another country. The way AMERICAN REPUBLICANS have disrespected our president is absolutely unbelievable, and it is very telling. It makes me think Republicans hate our president more than they hate Al QAEDA. I support my president. No matter who is in office in our country and whether I voted for that person or not. He/She is our leader and should be respected as such. Anything less is UNAMERICAN.

October 24, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  19. Roger kumar

Final election result will be a Obama /Biden victory– Obama 57%

October 24, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  20. Sylvie

What a joke? Disrespect the President and then give a meaningless sorry

October 24, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  21. Name adelaja sadiq isaac

he made a mistake which he later know and tender an apology which obama had accepted.I believe d president has forgiven him

October 24, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  22. Bruce Freeman

Ok. So, when do we hear an apology from that surly VP Joe, or from Chuck U Schumer? Answer: never.

October 24, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  23. Willie12345

Go ahead, Tagg. There are a lot of American's that feel the same way. On second thought, don't. He's not worth the trouble you'd get into.

October 24, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  24. Deva

Whether it was a joke, a fantasy, or a something close to a serious remark, for example, my son would never have even thought that way. He would have first considered whom he was thinking of that way. Tagg and my son are close in age. If I had heard that my son had said such a thing, instead of him trying to take swing at the President of the United States, I would have taken a swing at my son. It all depends on the upbringing! That's all I have to say. Better late than never; I am glad Tagg, at least, apologized to the President.

October 24, 2012 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  25. Anonymous

Can tell it was a comment not made in any serious manner, but the media and political groups will blow anything out of proportion

October 24, 2012 08:43 am at 8:43 am |