Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark
October 23rd, 2012
1 year ago

Romney's son apologizes to Obama for 'swing' remark

(CNN) – Tagg Romney, Mitt Romney's oldest son, apologized to President Barack Obama Monday for saying he wanted to "take a swing" at him during contentious presidential debates.

Obama and Tagg Romney were seen speaking on the stage after Monday's final presidential debate, held at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida. Two Obama aides said the conversation included an apology for the remark, made last week during a radio interview.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Asked in that interview what it's like "to hear the President of the United States call your dad a liar," Tagg Romney joked about his fantasy response.

"Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him," he said. "But you know you can't do that because, well, first because there's a lot of Secret Service between you and him, but also because that's the nature of the process. You know they're going to try to do anything they can do to make my dad into something he's not."

"We signed up for it, we've got to kind of sit there and take our punches, and send them the other way," he continued.

One of Tagg Romney's brothers, Josh, downplayed the comments in an interview on ABC's "The View."

"That brother has slugged me a couple of times," Josh Romney said. "I'm sure President Obama has nothing to worry about."

Asked about the original comments on Thursday, Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said Tagg Romney was "joking about how frustrating this process can be for family."

CNN's Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debate
soundoff (1,021 Responses)
  1. Bern in Western PA

I'm an Obama supporter all the way, but I appreciate Tagg Romney's ethics on this. Good for him.

October 24, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. Randy

Normally, doesn't the Secret Service consider remarks like this as a threat to the President? Why should Romney's sone betreated any different than you or I?

October 24, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Sue

A housefull of boys will always result in them finding humor in "physical assult". (Unless they have feminine inclinations, then they'd be crying); it's called horseplay! In ANY normal household. Are you people for real???? What happened to "freedom of speech"....guess it only applies to what Liberals deem acceptable. He apologized. I think that's the part that really makes you mad. Please try to find something better than this to convince me to vote for Chavez's new BFF!

October 24, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. What News

When he made the remark CNN referred to it as a joke and now CNN reports he has apologized. Where is CNN's story denouncing his father and his lack of response to his son's childish remark. Seems to me CNN is everything Romney. I watch and all I see is repub as talking points about the election. When dem do come on they are faced with aggressive, don't talk about Romney commentators. CNN is not fair nor do they try to be. Just put the Romney posters up CNN and be done with it.

October 24, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. angelica Bruno

Even though Mr. Tagg Romney apologized for his comment you must take into consciousness how disrespectful he was just by making this comment about the President of the United States.

October 24, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. ConsiderThis, FL

Debbie, I sooooooooo agree with you that CNN can't hide their bias for Romney anymore. They're pathetic. And for any of them to call themselves journalists is a severe misuse of the term. As for the young, immature, illmannered, disrespectful, arrogant, privileged and elite Tagg: He made a threatening statement toward the POTUS and by law, should have been called on it by the Secret Service and FBI. But, because he's Tagg Romney, he gets a pass. How do we know that some sick supporter of Tagg and his dad won't try to do to the POTUS what Tagg publicly said he'd like to do? President Obama and the First Lady, Michele must be divinely called to their work, because why else would two decent human beings subject themselves to the disrespect and unprescedented insults they've had to endure from the American people. You can bet that America will get what it deserves for this behavior. And it ain't gonna be pretty. We're supposedly a Christian nation; people need to start reading the Bible and see what happens to people who make every effort to thwart the plan and purpose of God.

October 24, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. Anonymous

I commend him on wanting to defend the honor of his Father, and of his family. If somebody called me a liar, I would be proud of my son wanting to take a swing at them. The context of the question was 'how did you feel' not 'what DID you do'. Nice to see a little fire in people, instead of being deadened and PC all the time.

October 24, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. bill

It was totally inappropriate and disrespectful for this punk to make such a comment in regards to the President of the United States. Mitt, as a candidate seeking the highest elected office in the land, should be ashamed and embarrassed and he should have come out and spoken against the words of his foolish and irresponsible son. The GOP also should have addressed this situation but yet they failed to do so.

October 24, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  9. Deni

So classy this bully who is also the son of a bully.

October 24, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. letteherb

The smirk on Romney's face throughout the Mondays debate made me want to take a swng-nothing wrong with that-it's just a reaction that most would never carry out. He was just being honest. Like I said, Romneys smirk was really getting on my nerves.

October 24, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. Yoga fire

Gee, now the Romneys are apologizing? I thought Mitt believed apologies are for the weak?

October 24, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. jellslaw

births of a feather..like father,like son!!!

October 24, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. California Gary

I'm having fun trying to decide what the president is whispering in Tagg's ear. I think it must have gone like this: "Two things Tagg.......number one, your father is a liar. Number two, I could take your wimpy little butt with one hand tied behind my back."

October 24, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. KC

Anonymous..."I have never seen a president so disrespected"? I would put it, "disrespectFUL." Poor record to run on so he attacks his rival...guess the president has no choice...it's his only chance of winning...villify the other guy and hope Americans buy into it. Not a prayer here!

October 24, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. cmkc

To all the folks posting their agreement and their own wish to take "a swing"..................... Threatening the President of the United States is a class D felony under United States Code Title 18, Section 871[1]. It consists of knowingly and willfully mailing or otherwise making "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States".

October 24, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. TomGI

The only reason tough guy Tagg didn't rush the president is because of the Secret Service detail? Joke, right?

October 24, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. LoverOfTruthandJusticeForAll

Huh? "You can even jokingly respond to a question or everyone goes nuts." Yeah, tell a dumb "joke" the next time you're in line to board a plane and see if you make your flight. Or yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Threatening the President of the United States is a felony, even if your name is "Romney." Taggy needs to apologize to the entire country for his boorish behavior. And Momney Romney needs to apologize for flipping off the President, too. Annie, you will NEVER be the First Lady, because you FIRST have to be a LADY.

October 24, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Ryan

Why would Tagg do it himself? Couldn't he somehow do a leveraged buyout for a punch thrower than ship them overseas afterwards? Romney's are great at that.

October 24, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. gladiatorgrl

FLIP FLOP.... acorn don't fall far from the tree

October 24, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. Gerg

The way Tagg wanted to charge the president and take a wing at him, as described by Tagg, I wasn't sure if it was in response to a video he was watching or it was intended as a terrorist attack. I haven't heard anything from the President or his advisors on this, but it is expected that Obama will address this in the Rose Garden in the coming weeks. This time, Obama will be sure to have the entire presentation to the media videotaped so that right wing pundits can have all the facts before they jump in and insist otherwise. :)

October 24, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. joe

Deserves our Respect?????

October 24, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. M. Magoo

I am an Obama supporter, and I can't understand what's the big deal. I am sure we all would like to take a swing at some one from time to time, but we don't and he didn't. Now if he had that would be different. What is wrong with him feeling like he needed to defend his father?

October 24, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. j

YAY, Romney!!

October 24, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. Toni

And that was the appropriate thing to do because that was very disrespectful to the POTUS, not to mention violent.

October 24, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Name quid pro quo

Tag wants to get a white house intetnship next year, so he needs to be on the good side of the POTUS.

October 24, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |