Battleground Blog: Gravelly Obama hits Florida, talks about his secret ballot
October 25th, 2012

Battleground Blog: Gravelly Obama hits Florida, talks about his secret ballot

EDITOR'S NOTE: CNN has sent dozens of reporters, producers, contributors and correspondents to the key battleground states to cover the final days of the 2012 election. Here is a brief report from one team:

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - One audible sign that President Barack Obama's marathon campaign schedule is taking a toll: his voice.

"My voice is getting a little hoarse, but I'm just going to keep on keeping on until every single person out there is going to vote," Obama told a crowd of 8,500 at a park in Tampa.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The president arrived in the battleground Sunshine State early Thursday morning after flying overnight from Las Vegas. Upon arrival he stopped for donuts at a Krispy Kreme and delivered a batch to firefighters thanking them for their service.

One firefighter challenged the president to a basketball game, to which Obama responded, "I don't want to embarrass you in front of the (press)."

The president is set to cast an early ballot later Thursday in Chicago, becoming the first commander in chief to vote for themselves ahead of Election Day. The trip to his home state is the latest effort to help spur early voting.

"We can vote early in Illinois just like you can vote in Florida," Obama said in Florida, where early voting begins Saturday.

He added: "I can't tell you who I am voting for. It's a secret ballot, but Michelle said she voted for me."

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– McCain says Mourdock endorsement up in the air

– Obama: The 'other guy' is a 'bulls**ter'

– Romney beats back on 'horses and bayonets'

– Obama's Facebook warning

Filed under: 2012 • Battleground Blog • Florida • President Obama
  1. tabeth

Obama for the second Mandate...He is a proven President....Romney should not build on the sweat of Obama.

October 25, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. UBS, WILLARD & THE 4000+ AMERICAN AMNESTY DEAL

I can sure go for some Krispy Kreme right now. Mr President, being fired up and ready to go can take a toll on your vocal cords. But keep it up!

October 25, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. gt

save your voice florida is gone to romney...

October 25, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. Skokie

Mr President I beat you to it. I cast my early vote on Oct. 22. FORWARD WE GO WITH BO AND JOE.

October 25, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. Norma Vessels

I love your sense of humor, President Obama, and when you're serious, you inspire me. Keep up the good work. When it comes to you voice getting hoarse, gargle with salt water when you can. :-)

October 25, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. Norma Vessels

I love your sense of humor, Mr. President .. and your ability to be serious when needed is inspiring.

October 25, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Kazeem

The USA election is becoming more interest. I pray d best canodate should win.

October 25, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. Mikey

Go, Obama. I hope everyone saw that 80 corporate CEO's just sent a letter to congress pushing for a balanced plan to reduce the deficit that includes both spending controls and tax increases. This is the approach that the President has been pushing for three years – the approach that the GOP in Congress has balked at, preventing earlier action on this critical issue. This is a rejection of the Romney approach. Many of us have been saying that Romney's math won't work, now 80 CEOs concur.

October 25, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. Sleepless in Cali

Hey, Obama, guess what? My ballot's not secret - I voted for Romney - PROUDLY so!

October 25, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. Dean

"We can vote early and often in Illinois...".

October 25, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Sheon1

Go President Obama!
    You Rock!

October 25, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Take care of yourself Mr. President you've got four more years in the White House coming to you as our way of saying thanks for helping our country recover, your dedication to your fellow Americans, and returning lustre to our name abroad.
    Obama 2012. Seriously America.

October 25, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. Woman In California

Thank you Mr. Powell for making the intelligent choice by backing the president whose policies have kept us safe.

Notice how happy people look when the president comes around.

October 25, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  14. ttt

You will win, Obama. You deserve a second term.

October 25, 2012 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. Long Time Democrat

President Obama, Why won't you give that $5 million to your charities?

You really don't have to do anything to assure they'll get it.

October 25, 2012 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. Name dennis

get out and support obama.romney talks tough on china but has invest ments there .bain capital or there subsideries are still closeing plants and moving to china.with the latest talk surrounding murdoch omney refuces to pull his support ads dont let romneys smile and recent m(ve to the center fool you.

October 25, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. T'sah From Virginia

I am watching Romney speak now in Cincinnati, OH and I wonder about who is actually running his campaign and why would the put ALL MEN – and White at that – behind him???? If the camera zooms in, you see two women and 20 men – When the camera zooms out – you see ALL MEN!!! Wow, what an effective view for Romney who is trying to win women votes?? Maybe that tells you who is really BEHIND him and why his audiences are so small............LMAO.

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

October 25, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. Joi Gibson

I am voting for your also Mr. President!!!!

You all should read the CNN Ticker headline about the President's appearance on Jay Leno and what he said about the Hair and his $5 million offer. It is too funny.

OBAMA/BIDEN/FIRST LADY MICHELLE 2012!!

October 25, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. Justin

Go Obama!!!!

October 25, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  20. Critical Thinking

Hear is my secret, I vote early in Ohio and voted for the next Prsident of the United States, Mitt Romney.

The on the job training program is over, time to pack up all of your lies and head back to Chicago Mr. President. The experiment is over.

It's Time : BO MUST GO !

October 25, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  21. thel

obama and his fans my advance sympathy to all of you cause come nov. you all be toast and landslide for GOP. Almighty is with GOP proven last Oct.3 debate. you can congratulate me nov.7.

October 25, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  22. Steve

Hey Obama...what did your wife say about you handing out donuts to those guys? Bet she was happy about that considering her 'good nutrition campaign' . Lol!

October 25, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. joe the plumber

Obama will lose big, the secret is out, he is unsuitable for office.

October 25, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Milton K. Wiah

I see different posts than what I see here. Most of the posters are very anti-Obama. So it makes
    wonder if anyone is supporting Obama but again most posters here support the president
    including myself from Europe(Netherlands)

October 25, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  25. Blue Bird

Do you want to bed with this guy? War and Tax dodger , Flip Flopper, job creator for China...That's who Mitt Romney is. Check ROMNEY'S record. AND VOTE OBAMA.

October 25, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |