Obama ends sprint in important Ohio
October 25th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama ends sprint in important Ohio

Cleveland (CNN) - President Barack Obama capped off his 48 hours of campaigning at an Ohio rally Thursday complete with the most presidential of backdrops – Air Force One.

The president de-planed in Cleveland to address supporters on the tarmac and once again encouraged early voting, something he did himself earlier in the day.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"So Ohio I gotta tell you, even though I've been going for about 38 hours straight, even though my voice is getting a little hoarse, I still got a spring in my step because our cause is right," Obama said.

Thursday's event was the second in the state this week, yet another example of how crucial the Buckeye State is on the path to 270 electoral votes.

"I need you Ohio, America needs you Ohio," the president told the roughly 12,000 people gathered on a warm night.

Obama consistently stuck to his message during an intense campaign swing that he described as going from the "East Coast to the West Coast and back to the East Coast."

With polls tightening nationally and in nearly all the battleground states, aides say this is the race they always expected.

"Our goal is to get to 270 and we have multiple paths to do that," White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer told reporters Thursday. "We believe we have a strong electoral college advantage."

"The travel we're doing is to maximize that," he added.

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– McCain says Mourdock endorsement up in the air

– Obama: The 'other guy' is a 'bulls**ter'

– Romney beats back on 'horses and bayonets'

– Obama's Facebook warning

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • President Obama
  1. Larry L

Ohio is all about working folks who don't appreciate Romney's comment about the 47% of Americans he considers trash. That 47% includes disabled veterans, senior citizens on Social Security and Medicare, and all working people who need a little help as they look for jobs. His daddy gave him his wealth – the "old fashioned way to become rich". Romney and Lyin' Ryan are serial liars as shown by all fact checkers. Why would anybody trust them? He gives us no specifics and the math just doesn't add up on any of his promises. He'll take care of the fat cats – that's the one promise he'll keep!

October 25, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. Old Veteran

As a disabled veteran I'm greatly angered at Mitt Romney's comment about the 47% of Americans "not worth worrying about". Since I live on my military pension and disability check, I'm one of those "useless people" Mitt looks down his preppy nose at. When he was hiding in France for 31 months on his "mission" I was fighting in Vietnam. He was a draft dodger and participated in anti-war rallies while spending his daddy's money at Stanford. I saw a lot of men die while he relaxed on the beach and lived large. Now he wants to be a pro-war Commander-In-Chief? I don't think so!

October 25, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. jen

Mr. President you are doing a great job. You have my vote

October 25, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  4. TruthBetold

Please proceed Gov. Romney. GOP is big government. The opposite of what they project.

October 25, 2012 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  5. Ancient Texan

Air Force One is sure getting a workout at taxpayer expense, but it's just" government money".

October 25, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  6. Cindy

Obama spent his whole campaign wasting money on attacks ads against Romney. I wanted and hoped to hear and see what Obama's vision was for the next 4 years and what he planned to do to improve his dismal record. But Obama chose to keep his focus and rhetoric on attacking on Romney. It's kind of late now. My mind was made up in the first debate when I saw Romney for myself and realized he was not who they made him out to be. That unfair misrepresentation was obviously a lie!

October 25, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. Cindy

I am also disillusioned about them blaming the obsure video for the recent 9-11 murder of our Ambassador and the Obama administration was more concerned about offending the Muslims than Defending Americans which should have been their first concern and priority! They blamed an obsure video in keeping with their Modus Operanda which is to blame something or someone else, and they held press conferences which focused on condeming the video rather than condemning those who killed our American officials.

October 25, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  8. 2020

Go for it Mr. President. The next 4 years will be yours to keep.

October 25, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. Monster Zero

Really liked the way Obama tried to spin Romney's "let the auto industry go bankrupt", turns out with a little research, Romney's plan was better, Obama took care of his Union cronies with the pensions and all those not part of a Union were thrown under the bus and lost everything. Same thing he did here in Florida with the auto dealerships, if you were a Democrat and contributor you kept your GM dealership, if you were a Republican, you lost your franchise... cash for clunkers anyone?

October 25, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  10. claudia

Too bad I don't live in Ohio... I would be able to vote in favor of ROMNEY

October 25, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  11. Ed1

I guess the tax payers paid for the use of Air Force One don't think the DNC will pay.

October 25, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  12. CNN Fan

You will be re-elected Mr. President...
    I don't see any better plan for the future from Romney....Middle class dislike him...Women won't vote for him....Young voters don't trust him ....Veteran and old people just can't afford his voucher plan.....Obama will be re-elected...

October 25, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  13. Chicka

The Republican religion is a man-made false religion. It worships all kinds of gods before God, including religions that are demonic. The false republican religion is promoting a home grown religion in American that believes the person running for president in going to fulfill a white horse prophesy and become greater than God with his own universe. Republicans turn their head and endorse this as their president.

October 25, 2012 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  14. Steve

Seems the plane in the picture is not air force 1 as it is missing the upper deck. hmmmmm

October 25, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  15. lau35

The President just make up for the failed debate performance he had against Romney. Now I am fired up and ready to go. Not only I am going to vote for the President this Saturday, but also I going to win over at least 3 more votes for him. This how he is going to wing Florida.

October 25, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  16. Ohio Guy

I don't see much of you in Columbus, sir. Seems like you only go where you sent the checks (that we all will pay for, across America) Buying votes with debt. Pandering to those to whom you give money and foodstamps. Addicting the 47% to dog biscuits and handouts. That is your vision of America? A culture that cannot survive without your benevolence? Hmmm, smells like Stalin.

October 26, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  17. Tabeth

The President with Character, that is the way it should be

October 26, 2012 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  18. Gurgyl

Let Detroit go Bankrupt–mitt Romney, the nasty idiot.

October 26, 2012 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  19. Jerry

And, all on the taxpayer's dime, too! This man has no "verguenza" (shame).

October 26, 2012 06:43 am at 6:43 am |