October 25th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama video compares voting to losing virginity

(CNN) – Conservatives seemed to collectively gasp Thursday night when a web video from President Barack Obama's campaign slyly compared a person's first time voting to losing one's virginity.

The star of the video, Lena Dunham, created and stars in the HBO show "Girls." In the video, she appears in a close-up shot explaining the first time she voted.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Your first time shouldn't be with just anybody," the actress and writer says. "You want to do it with a great guy."

The unspoken comparison continues, as Dunham describes what kind of "guy" she's talking about.

"It should be with a guy that really understands women," she says. "A guy who cares whether you get health insurance, specifically whether you get birth control. The consequences are huge. You want to do it with a guy who brought the troops out of Iraq. You don't want to do it with a guy who says, 'Hey I'm at the library studying,' when really he's out not signing the Lilly Ledbetter act."

At the end, the metaphor becomes even clearer: "My first time voting was amazing. There's a line in the sand. Before I was a girl, now I was a woman."

"I went to the polling station, I pulled back the curtain. I voted for Barack Obama," the video concludes.

Dunham, whose show on HBO centers around her character's life as a young woman in New York City, doesn't shy away from risqué topics. In a taped opening at this year's Emmys, she was featured completely nude, eating a cake on a toilet. HBO, like CNN, is owned by Time Warner.

Conservatives expressed consternation at the Obama campaign video, suggesting it was a step into the gutter for the incumbent Democrat.

"The more we talk about it in this campaign, the more insulting it is to women," Kellyanne Conway, a Republican strategist, said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

"They can do the math. Not everything has to be about biology," Conway said.

The reaction was similar on Twitter.

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– McCain says Mourdock endorsement up in the air

– Obama: The 'other guy' is a 'bulls**ter'

– Romney beats back on 'horses and bayonets'

– Obama's Facebook warning

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. jake

At least she wasn't getting raped by republicans...you know like they say, it's god will.

October 26, 2012 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  2. porchhound

This is a remake of Vladimir Putin's election ad....just a coincidence right comrade Obama?

October 26, 2012 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  3. Jeff

Really sad some Americans are ok with an ad like this. Very disappointing Mr. President...

October 26, 2012 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  4. Adam

I finished 30 seconds in!

October 26, 2012 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  5. Allen

Wonderful metaphor. I bet conservatives are secretly getting kind of hot when they watch this. Probably gets their desire to control female genitalia all fired up.

October 26, 2012 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  6. anonoymous

Legit rape God's will as a result binders of women. If I we're a republican any negative remarks about this would me look foolish. This was an ad. The remarks your canidates are making from the heart.

October 26, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  7. Romney lies

So what? Obama still has my vote!

October 26, 2012 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  8. maquignon

Is Obama trying to throw the election?????

October 26, 2012 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  9. Mona Callender

yes I thought I would fall out of my chair when I saw this. Shows the obozo administration has no class at all. This trumps all of his other gaffs his been pulling. Grow up please. Do no destroy that oval office any more.

October 26, 2012 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  10. eastrun

Funny and to the point. I can almost hear the wingnuts heads exploding...

October 26, 2012 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  11. MichaelO

At least she didn't say getting pregnant through rape is an act of God.

October 26, 2012 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  12. FedUp

She's right. This year it is very painful to cast a vote for either of these 2 men.

October 26, 2012 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  13. Thomas

Crazy world !

Conservatives seemed to collectively gasp .

What , No weapons of mass distraction ?

I love it when Karl Rove gasp's.

October 26, 2012 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  14. Denny

I heard the ad last night and it gave me a creepy feeling. Now I have to protect my 10 and 12 year old kids from hearing it. I have to protect them from our President.

October 26, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  15. Jerry

Wow wee!!! Is this the best the Obamboozler flunkies can do? I always thought they were "out" for women! Oh well... Surprise, surprise.

In my humble opinion, all this excuse of a woman and this ad do is denigrate women.

Women of America, PLEASE, PLEASE protect yourselves against Obamanoma (Cancer). IT could be deadly!!!

October 26, 2012 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  16. Marie MD

If anyone has a gutter mind bout women and their bodies, it's the teapublikkklans.
    I watch a show where one of the characters (this is in real life) was hammered so much about the bible and the rapture that if he came home as a child and he couldn't find his mother he would think that she had been taken.
    This is what being a fanatic of the bible or religion makes out of you . . . . it's scary.
    I wonder how many of these old men have mistresses and like the rep (is it Kansas?) who asked his mistress to have an abortion because she became pregnant with his child while trying to ban abortions for all and what a sin it is.
    See the hypocrisy?

October 26, 2012 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  17. rs1201

It's disgusting and borders on being sleazy. Her huge tattoo on her arm adds to the sleaziness of the ad. Democrats are really desperate and they're digging their grave with tactics such as these.

October 26, 2012 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  18. Gurgyl

Before all this thing listen to what RICHARD BOURDOCK GOP IDIOT SAID AND ENDORSED BY MITT ROMNEY. This is Fictious by GOP to crumble this nation. Women know thoroughly. They are much more smarter than GOP idiots. Indiana senate said RAPE IS CAUSED BY GOD. Women to be victims men are kings.

October 26, 2012 06:29 am at 6:29 am |
  19. Gurgyl

Richard Mourdock said Rape is legal and it is supported by Mitt the twit. Drive all the GOP animals out in this election including John Sonunu the animal too.

October 26, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  20. Dave

Wow, that is creepy

October 26, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  21. ChirsJ

What kind of twisted add is this?

October 26, 2012 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  22. GetSmartUSA

So what's the big deal?

October 26, 2012 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  23. Nancy

You spent how much of the taxpayers money on this?

October 26, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  24. Dar

And I am supposed to listen to what this twit says????????????
    These are the kind of people voting for Obama, brainless sheep!

October 26, 2012 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  25. TNPatriot

Great ad! Nothing at all wrong or degrading about this ad, it is simply a woman being sincere.The more the right complains about it the more it shows their anti woman mindset.

October 26, 2012 07:50 am at 7:50 am |