October 26th, 2012

Johnson: Libertarianism is 'fast growing segment'

(CNN) - Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson weighed in Friday on his potential impact on the 2012 presidential race during an interview with CNN's "Newsroom."

"Where are the majority of Americans being represented by either of these two (parties). And I'll just tell you from my viewpoint, what I'm representing is the fastest growing segment of American politics today. The whole Libertarian movement," he said. "We'll see what happens on Election Day."

Filed under: 2012 • Gary Johnson • Libertarian Party
  1. Sniffit

Fast growing? Perhaps. Libertarianism can pretty much be considered the barometer for both the disillusionment and dumbing down of Amurikan voters.

October 26, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Phil

LOL 1st isn't Ron Paul the leader & face of the Libertarians? All I've seen from Libertarians is that they wine n cry when they don't get their way and they yell out "UNFAIR".

October 26, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Rob

Disillusionment and dumbing down American voters? and what would you consider parading two candidates around who's positions are so similar we may as well be voting for the same party. If Romney is the best the Republican party has to offer then why is it he's having such a difficult time convincing Americans to vote for him when he's running against an opponent that the majority of Americans see as an utter failure in so many ways?

October 26, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. UBS, WILLARD & THE 4000+ AMERICAN AMNESTY DEAL

Libertarian, Teatard, whatever! Branding yourself under a different party still doesn't take away from the fact that you're a republican.

October 26, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. Henry

Terrific piece. Others who have commented may find solace in jeering and taunting others, but I think the concerned and engaged citizen would find a refreshing take on many of the most important issues facing America today in Gary's platform. Many are issues that have faced societies throughout time, from the Roman empire to the the British empire. Not beholden to corporate donors, but sensitive to the issues of the 99%, the third party candidates are refreshingly open and honest.

October 26, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Joe in DE

I'm a retired senior and for the first time in my life I don't like either of the major candidates. It's too bad we don't have another voter option, "none of the above" and if it gets the majority of votes, it forces a new selection, new until we do.

October 26, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. jcreasy

Libertarians are not whiners. Their platform is closer to what the founding fathers intended than either of the puppets in the other parties. They are also better educated judging from the horrible spelling and grammar of their opposition's supporters.

October 26, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Everyone has a choice as to who they vote for and what they believe. Somethings are based on faith while others should be based on fact. Will Gary Johnson win? I think we can say no with certainty. He should at least be able to get his message out.

October 26, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. jcreasy

Way to go Henry! Joe you do have a choice – see Henry's comment. Go to ISIDEWITH web site and find out who you should vote for.

October 26, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. ronvan

HERE IS THE REAL PROBLEM FOLKS!!! Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Independents, Left, Right, Centrist, Blue dogs, Red dogs, hot dogs (lets eat), Hawks, Doves, Buzzards, Main Street, Your street, Back ally deals, Pro Life, No life (get a life), Religions, Atheists, Gay / Lesbian – straight, THE MIC, Federal Rights, State rights, our rights (vanishing quickly), NO rights, SO many so called "do gooder" groups that I could fill up this entire post! And, my apoligies for those I left out! THINK ABOUT IT!!

October 26, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. MartR

I have read about Johnson's track record and his full platform. His positions are closer to mine than either of the RomBama's.
    He has addressed issues directly and made his positions very clear.
    It is sad that the media has failed to be unbiased with election reporting. I agree with jcreasy. ISideWith is a great place to learn which candidate best mirrors your position.
    In the end the voter has to self educate. Don't leave it up to the corporate owned mass media.
    Live Free

October 26, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. DFW Dann

The Republicans like to think that LIbertarians are just disillusioned members of their party, but the fact is we don't care for either. The Democrats want to control my purse strings and regulate business while the Republicans want to regulate my personal choices. I want a government that will stay out of my pocketbook AND out of my bedroom. But in choosing between the two parties I will give up my money long before I give up my personal freedoms.

October 26, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |