October 27th, 2012
1 year ago

Romney guest mash-up: Everybody loves Meatloaf?

Canton, Ohio (CNN) - As the standard-bearer of the conservative party, Mitt Romney may not draw as many Hollywood endorsements as his rival.

But what his celebrity backers lack in quantity they make up in unconventional appeal.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Case in point: aging rocker Meat Loaf, who wore a sequin-sleeved blazer to endorse Romney in a halting but heartfelt speech Thursday.

The entertainer didn't perform his signature hits, but he did paint in stark terms voters' choice this November.

"This is the most important election in the history of the United States," he told an audience in Defiance, Ohio. "Because there has storm clouds come over the United States!"

"There is thunderstorms over Europe," he continued, warming to the weather theme. "There are hailstorms, and I mean major hailstorms, in the Middle East."

Meat Loaf also offered a dubious defense of Romney's running mate's controversial budget plan.

"I want you to know at 65 that Paul Ryan has not pushed me off the cliff in a wheelchair," he joked.

The next evening, "Everybody Loves Raymond" actress Patricia Heaton cracked some edgy jokes of her own at another football field rally in North Canton.

Telling the audience she came from an Irish-Catholic family, Heaton invoked Romney's Mormon religion – something he does not frequently mention on the campaign trail.

"I have over a hundred first cousins on my mom's side, so we're giving those Mormons a run for their money," Heaton said.

After joking about nearby Akron ("I was born on the west side of Cleveland. You know what Cleveland's motto is? At least we're not Akron!"), Heaton couldn't resist poking fun at the well-toned body of Romney's clean-cut running mate Paul Ryan.

"I have to tell you, backstage I didn't recognize him with his shirt on," she said, adding: "And I did wear orange, not only because I'm a [Cleveland] Browns fan, but I was afraid Paul would have his shotgun."

On Friday, as has become common over the previous weeks, Romney supporters were also entertained by a folksy band who voiced their support for the candidate in between twanging riffs. The parade of country singers who have backed Romney are perhaps an unusual fit for the former governor of Massachusetts, whose running mate has joked is an aficionado of elevator music.

None of these high-profile fans could equal the pithiness of Romney endorser and football great John Elway, who announced in October he was backing Romney with perhaps the briefest speech on record.

His entire statement, including a reference to a winning football game a day earlier, is below:

"I must say today has been a very good day," Elway told an audience in Denver Oct. 1. "Not only because of what happened yesterday, but because I get the opportunity to introduce to you the next president of the United States, Gov. Mitt Romney."

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– Obama courts young voters in MTV interview

– Coulter stands by use of controversial word to describe Obama

– A gridiron battleground

– Micro-targeting offers clues to early vote leads

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. Mary1972

Meatloaf? Are you kidding me? There is no account for taste, is there?

October 27, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. cnow77

Holy smokes, Meatloaf has such a great voice. That video is hilarious, Mint Romney looks like he's trying to avoid one bad singer after the other. At the end he doesn't seem to know where to go or what to do.

October 27, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Debbie

Meatloaf? Really? So Mitts got Meatloaf and Obama's got Colin Powell. A washed up singer over a general, head of Chief of Staffs, Secretary of State, and encouraged to run for President by his own party? Meatloaf? Really?

October 27, 2012 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. I Voted Early In NC

Meatloaf has been eating way too much meatloaf. Anyway didn't he od or was it Ted Nugent ot nugget oh well whatever who really cares about has beens. Romney is really trying to win the youth vote.

October 27, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. mr 286

The country is in a lot better shape now than it was four yrs ago. anyone who can't see that must be bline and completly out of touch with reallity

October 27, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Hugo

Progressive liberalism is a disease...listen to their hatred, look at their actions. They want to blame our economy on the Right, guess what? It took both sides to make the mess, the Dems want to tax and spend to buy votes and the Repubs want to make money at any expense. I can tell you, I care mostly about our freedoms and our liberties and Progressive Liberalism does not carry that water, therefore the choice is simple for me. When as free men and women we can no longer keep what we earn or speak our mind freely, time to fight to regain what we have allowed to be eroded away.

October 27, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Jay

A loaf of meat endorsed Romney. Gross. Just for that, I'm flipping my vote to Obama, and I live in Florida.

October 27, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Mike

Stars??? Personalities maybe......maybe not. I couldn't tell you one person's name on stage.

October 27, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. Shihar

wow..that was incredibly uncomfortable to watch! They sounded HORRIBLE!

October 27, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Riley

It's not looking good for Obama. Every poll shows him slipping. COuld be a landslide victory for Romney in the making.

October 27, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Crossword

Mitt looks like he is ready to get away from these ????? He looks so uncomfortable and you can see that these are not the type of people he would hang out with. That big guy is making an ?????? out of himself.

October 27, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Pete in Guilford

That video was just awful. Really bad. Just like a Romney presidency would be.

October 27, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. GOP=The cancer of America

Romney is all revved up with no place to go, thinking that he can see paradise from his dashboard light, realizing that hey, "I was governor and I ran the olympics, so 2 out of 3 aint bad", but Ryan took the words right out of his mouth when he said, "well, heaven can wait." As they both drove off noticing that objects in the rearview mirror may appear closer than they are, wishing their rock and roll dreams came true, but knowing that life is a lemon and they want their money back.

October 27, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Who me?

Meatloaf?Really?

October 27, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Barry

Well that does it for me. Willard has managed to nail down the endorsements of a bunch of washed up, has been, losers, and some banjo strumming hicks, I guess I'll vote for him. lol

October 27, 2012 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. yogi

More of the same: No class. The Republicans are desperately looking for some stars and this is all they could find, pathetic, what a sorry bunch.

October 27, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. JPX

Patricia Heaton? What a discrace. Does she agree with republican views on women? I will never watch Everyone Loves Raymond again. Shame on Heaton.

October 27, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. over the hill

You are judged by the friends you keep. The only ones missing from mitts crowd are Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock. No, throw in Ted Nugent for good measure, Limbaugh, Beck and – forget it. The list is too long.

October 27, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Lisa

And there's a Meatloaf in the oven. Who gives a crap about an old washed up forgtten whatever he was? Keep trying, Romney....you'll nver make it.

October 27, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  20. Ambrose Smith

Bpth Meatloaf and Ted Nugent peaked in the 70s.

October 27, 2012 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  21. Name

I don't care who don't vote for Obama. He got my vote and many more got his vote #TeamObama4moreyearsletsgo!

October 27, 2012 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. Shrimps for our President

Shrimps for Obama better for you & much more healthy then meatloaf .
    Who are the other celebrities from 10 -20 years ago for Romney?Ryan ?

October 27, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. rare_earth

Meatloaf is obviously still confused by that damn dashboard light.

October 27, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. lindaluttrell

The way "America the Beautiful" (I think that was it) was murdered by Meatloaf...I had to wonder was he high, drunk or both??? Rosanne, after your second rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner," I'll never complain about your singing again!

October 27, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. Chooch0253

stars? more like has beens.

October 27, 2012 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |