October 27th, 2012

Romney guest mash-up: Everybody loves Meatloaf?

Canton, Ohio (CNN) - As the standard-bearer of the conservative party, Mitt Romney may not draw as many Hollywood endorsements as his rival.

But what his celebrity backers lack in quantity they make up in unconventional appeal.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Case in point: aging rocker Meat Loaf, who wore a sequin-sleeved blazer to endorse Romney in a halting but heartfelt speech Thursday.

The entertainer didn't perform his signature hits, but he did paint in stark terms voters' choice this November.

"This is the most important election in the history of the United States," he told an audience in Defiance, Ohio. "Because there has storm clouds come over the United States!"

"There is thunderstorms over Europe," he continued, warming to the weather theme. "There are hailstorms, and I mean major hailstorms, in the Middle East."

Meat Loaf also offered a dubious defense of Romney's running mate's controversial budget plan.

"I want you to know at 65 that Paul Ryan has not pushed me off the cliff in a wheelchair," he joked.

The next evening, "Everybody Loves Raymond" actress Patricia Heaton cracked some edgy jokes of her own at another football field rally in North Canton.

Telling the audience she came from an Irish-Catholic family, Heaton invoked Romney's Mormon religion – something he does not frequently mention on the campaign trail.

"I have over a hundred first cousins on my mom's side, so we're giving those Mormons a run for their money," Heaton said.

After joking about nearby Akron ("I was born on the west side of Cleveland. You know what Cleveland's motto is? At least we're not Akron!"), Heaton couldn't resist poking fun at the well-toned body of Romney's clean-cut running mate Paul Ryan.

"I have to tell you, backstage I didn't recognize him with his shirt on," she said, adding: "And I did wear orange, not only because I'm a [Cleveland] Browns fan, but I was afraid Paul would have his shotgun."

On Friday, as has become common over the previous weeks, Romney supporters were also entertained by a folksy band who voiced their support for the candidate in between twanging riffs. The parade of country singers who have backed Romney are perhaps an unusual fit for the former governor of Massachusetts, whose running mate has joked is an aficionado of elevator music.

None of these high-profile fans could equal the pithiness of Romney endorser and football great John Elway, who announced in October he was backing Romney with perhaps the briefest speech on record.

His entire statement, including a reference to a winning football game a day earlier, is below:

"I must say today has been a very good day," Elway told an audience in Denver Oct. 1. "Not only because of what happened yesterday, but because I get the opportunity to introduce to you the next president of the United States, Gov. Mitt Romney."

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– Obama courts young voters in MTV interview

– Coulter stands by use of controversial word to describe Obama

– A gridiron battleground

– Micro-targeting offers clues to early vote leads

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. Ray (Fort Worth)

@Ray E. (Georgia)

Humm, Golsh aw mighty. Somebody that speaks sense. Do we have a 16 plus Trillion dollar federal debt, do we have 8 to 16 percent unemployment, do we have 49 million on food stamps, do we have millions of morgages under water? Maybe we have just been on a visit to Fanasty Island and it is all ficton. After 75 years of Liberal Polotiics you would think everything would be fixed wouldn't you? So why we in this huge mess???
    -----------------------------------------------–
    Remember Bush? He's the guy who issued the first bailout package. Think he did that because everything was good? The recession he left behind had strong downward trajectory and tremendous momentum. With a Republican Congress trying to create failure it's absolutely astounding we've done so well. Since you're interested in economic history please name that "non-liberal" nation you're using as a model of economic prosperity and high standard of living. I went down the list of the countries ranked in the top twenty and none could meet your "Fox News Standards for Right Wing Governments" – all would be considered far more liberal than the United States. Please enlighten us "o great one"...

October 27, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. nilla

Meatloaf's music is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Seriously, it's like Dick Van Patten's death scene in "High Anxiety".

In other words, it's fitting that he would endorse Mitt Romney.

October 27, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  3. Galaxy Prime

I think Meatloaf's endorsement is going to cost Romney more votes than he'll gain. Perhaps Meatloaf is only trying to make a comeback in his career , whatever it is – I really don't know what he's famous for.

October 27, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. hmmmmh

who are the stars? did i miss something here?

October 27, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  5. Say No To Rob-Me & Lyin' Ryan

@Chris

Romney is great, and he will run this country 100% better than Obama. You aren't in highschool,Obama, trying to win a popularity contest by telling people what they want to hear and your appearances on MTV, nick, and the view!
    -------------------------------------------------
    In the primary Romney was a "conservative" and now he's a "moderate". In Massachusetts he was "pro-choice (strongly) and now he's "pro-life". He invented Obamacare and bragged about it's success in Massachusetts – but now he hates it because that gets him votes from the right-wing radicals. He was a draft dodger hiding in France for 30 months in 1966 but now he talks like a war hawk. He told the N.R.A. he was a hunter who hunted "various animals" – of course that's another lie. His infamous 47% comment was to fat cats and he never thought anybody else would hear it. He later said he "misspoke". He'll say anything to get votes and flip-flips, distorts and lies every single day. Your comment is foolish.

October 27, 2012 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  6. Larry L

@Rose lyczkowski

Immature statements from a few Obama groupies. We are going to see a landslide by Romney!!! Sorry s u c k ers!!! Then you will learn the truth about the no man Obama that real hurt AMERICA with his immature tours of nothing!!! He is the fake or flake of the entire world!!! Go get a job OBAMA!!!
    -------------------------------------------------
    Immature statements? Carefully read your own words – then hang your head.

That "landslide" you're talking about looks very much like a win for the President. Romney is slipping more each day in the polls. You may not be able to win the Presidency with support coming only from a few billionaires and most of the under-educated bigots. Like Romney's economic promises – the math doesn't work.

October 27, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  7. Mukudi

A vote for Obama means prosperity for all Americans. A vote for Romney means more wars, more outsourcing and shipping American jobs to China. Let us also not forget that profits will be undisclosed and retained in the Cayman Islands- why the tax returns will never be revealed by Romney.

October 28, 2012 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  8. LizardLance

The hate and contempt shown by the right toward our president, along with the disrespect of the Office of The President, is disgusting. Today's Republicans make my stomach turn. I used to be one of them. I even campaigned for them not too long ago. Never again. I wish Romney would speak out against the hate-filled dialogue but he knows that showing a hint of maturity would alienate his base.

October 28, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  9. retphxfire

This isn't about whether I support Mitt or the President, but when I read the 'stars' who support Romney my first reaction was this is star power??

October 28, 2012 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  10. RJ1008

They are stars? kim kardashian has more following than these 'stars'. Anyway, these 'stars' will influence those folks who are already voting for Mitt.

October 28, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  11. Woman In California

@Cat

I couldn't agree with you more and I will never reward these gangsters a/k/a the republican party with my vote.

October 28, 2012 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  12. NoBama

Meatloaf? That's nothing!!! Obama has the support of Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, Vladimir Putin and Ahdminijan (the Iranian terrorist pictured in the 1979 hijacking), who is currently the preident of Iran. All communists. Lol. You better not mess with the commies Meatloaf!

October 28, 2012 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  13. DB

So sad that it made me laugh to see this kind of celebrity support, not that any celebrity supporting any candidate would away me. I agree with another posting that an endorsement from Colin Powell is worth more than all the celebrities on the planet. Early voter for Obama

October 28, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  14. Penny Wright

Colin Powell and Bill Clinton endorsed Obama.

Meatloaf endorsed Romney.

October 28, 2012 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  15. Tom Joad

Meatloaf? How about a current celebrity?

October 28, 2012 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  16. Whatthehell

Meatloaf? He is still alive? Nice to have such a big name endorsement. Pass the ketchup, please. Something has to make this taste better.

October 28, 2012 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  17. Hindsight 20/20

Well, meat n potatoes endorsed him. I better go out and vote for Mitt Romney. NOT.

October 28, 2012 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  18. TampaMel

Remember folks, these are entertainers not people that actually have any intelligence.

October 28, 2012 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  19. Lefty Lib

Good times with the good 'ol GOP! What a crew of support Mitt now has. I had my doubts before, but now I know he's unstoppable!!

October 28, 2012 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  20. honey badger

The "stars" that are publicly endorsing Romney don't seem to pack much of an enthusiastic punch. Meatloaf? Patricia Heaton? Clint Eastwood? Ted Nugent? Really? Now, it might be more impressive if the Osmond family stepped out and gave THEIR support to one of their own. They may be Romney supporters and just aren't publicly announcing it, but their backing would probably be more valuable than that of these celebrities. I'm just sayin'...

October 28, 2012 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  21. Doctor Frankenfurter

Boy I sure wish the Loaf could be retroactively replaced in the Rocky Horror Picture Show...now he's ruined it for me.

October 28, 2012 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  22. Tony in Maine

What's a Meatloaf? That's the best Mittens can come up with – or is he saving Britney Spears for the last weekend.

October 28, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  23. NoTags

I can't believe anyone would be swayed to vote for either candidate because of an entertainer's endorsement. Voters need to think for themselves and if you have questions, do the research yourself for non-biased sources.

October 28, 2012 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  24. TOM

MEATLOAF? Ever think the Republican party is still stuck somewhere back in time? From what they have been saying lately, I think they may be trying to move us back to the 50's

October 28, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  25. jnpa

How come all the repubs were down on Obama because he had celebrity support and now it's ok for Romney to have that kind of support? Can you say "hypocrite'?

October 28, 2012 08:29 am at 8:29 am |