Rubio's daughter hospitalized after vehicle accident
Sen. Marco Rubio on the phone after learning his daughter had been in a vehicle accident.
October 27th, 2012
1 year ago

Rubio's daughter hospitalized after vehicle accident

UPDATE 12:03 p.m. Sunday: A statement from Rubio's office Sunday read: "Amanda Rubio remains in fair condition at the Intensive Care Unit at Miami Children's Hospital. Her longterm prognosis is favorable. The family is grateful for all the messages of support and the prayers said for their daughter."

(CNN) - Sen. Marco Rubio's 12 year-old-daughter is in stable condition after being hospitalized Saturday following a vehicle accident, Rubio's office said in a statement.

Rubio learned of the accident after speaking at a campaign event for GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Kissimmee, Florida, his office said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His daughter, Amanda, was airlifted from the Miami accident to a local hospital, Rubio’s office said.

Amanda is expected to remain at the hospital overnight for observation, CNN contributor Ana Navarro said. The accident involved a golf cart, said Navarro, who is a friend of the family.

The senator from Florida had been traveling aboard the Romney campaign bus when the bus pulled over shortly before 7 p.m. ET. Rubio exited the bus and was driven away by a state trooper.

"Senator Rubio was notified of the accident after coming off stage while campaigning with Governor Romney in Kissimmee, Florida. He is enroute to Miami," his office said in a statement.

Romney campaign spokesman Rick Gorka said Rubio was headed home following a family emergency, and Romney campaign press secretary Andrea Saul said in a statement, "Governor Romney spoke with Senator Rubio and expressed his concern and hope for Amanda Rubio's quick recovery."

– CNN's Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report

Also on the CNN Political Ticker

– Obama courts young voters in MTV interview

– Coulter stands by use of controversial word to describe Obama

– A gridiron battleground

– Micro-targeting offers clues to early vote leads

Filed under: Florida • Marco Rubio
  1. JC

I've had that phone call parents dread. Everyone who has had that agonizing drive to get to an injured child understands how endless it seems and wouldnt wish it on anyone. Best to the Rubio family.

October 27, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  2. rh

Hope she does well, but it is really unclear what happened. Was a 12 year old driving a golf cart?

October 27, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  3. Chris

I don't like his politics, but he's a human being and a father, and she's an innocent child. As such, we should wish him well and hope for her speedy recovery.

October 27, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. government cheese

I hope she is all right. My prayers are with your family.

October 28, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  5. NCSouthernBelle

God bless the girl. I pray she has a swift and full recovery.

October 28, 2012 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  6. Porter

I may vehemently disagree with this man on just about everything, but I wish his daughter a swift recovery.

October 28, 2012 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  7. Mike

I'm not a big fan of Sen. Rubio, but I sure hope and pray his daughter is OK and recovers quickly. My thoughts are with the entire family, as well. This is a nightmare for a parent.

October 28, 2012 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  8. Rose lyczkowski

I will say a prayer for your Amanda and your family Rubio. God Bless you and your Family!!!

October 28, 2012 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  9. Dan

Although I'm no fan of Rubio's (or any other GOP'er) I sincerely hope and pray for a speedy recovery of that little girl. As a parent of 2 precious (if a little bit of a handful) boys, I can only imagine the anguish Mr. Rubio must have felt throughout the ordeal. Tragic life events have no political ideology.

October 28, 2012 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  10. claudia

All the best to the senator and his little girl. Politics aside, we are all joined by a chain of compassion.

October 28, 2012 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  11. dewed

This is outside of politics. I hope his daughter recovers quickly and completely...as I would hope for any child.

October 28, 2012 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  12. Get Well Soon

Senator Rubio: I wish your daughter a speedy recovery. Stay strong.

October 28, 2012 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  13. rene

I hope she is well

October 28, 2012 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  14. get well soon

Get Well Soon. Golf carts are kind of dangerous. Someone got killed on ragbrai on a golf cart. Maybe they need some updating.

October 28, 2012 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  15. Thomas

The 12-year-old daughter of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio was in fair condition Saturday evening at Miami Children's Hospital after she was airlifted there following a golf-cart accident in a gated community.

I hope she is ok , thank God for Romneycare !

October 28, 2012 03:14 am at 3:14 am |
  16. RomnesiaIsCurable

Get better soon little angel. Am a Democrat but we are one people with different visions for this Great nation.

October 28, 2012 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  17. An Observer

I hope Senator Rubio's daughter has a full and speedy recovery.

October 28, 2012 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  18. Q

I'm glad that Rubio's daughter will be ok. However, I can't help but to think about all the other millions of children that he, Romney, and Ryan are working so hard to repeal and deny healthcare for. Rubio, Romney, and Ryan is willing to throw America's children under the golf cart.

October 28, 2012 04:54 am at 4:54 am |
  19. Dar

It is so scary anytime one of your children gets hurt. I am just glad the the senator did the right thing and left the bus to be with his family.
    Pray for a quick recovery.

October 28, 2012 05:39 am at 5:39 am |
  20. Wonderer

Wishing his daughter a quick recovery – as I would anyone else injured in an accident. But simultaneously wondering, as a FL taxpayer, who footed the bill for the State Trooper who was diverted from his job of, shall we say, 'providing safety services' for the public?

October 28, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  21. Just sayin'

I am glad that this little girl is in stable condition and will be ok. She is lucky that she has health insurance so she can receive the best medical care available. Not the norm in this country.

October 28, 2012 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  22. ericraines

Politics aside, sorry to hear of this and cheers to a speedy recovery!

October 28, 2012 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  23. ericraines

Politics aside, sorry to hear of this, hope the young lady is doing well and cheers to a speedy recovery!

October 28, 2012 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  24. J

God Bless Amanda for a speedy recovery

October 28, 2012 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  25. geo

This goes beyond politics. I am a diehard progressive and from a political standpoint , do not like Marco Rubio. That said, I am glad that his daughter is going to be fine.

October 28, 2012 07:46 am at 7:46 am |