Romney's closing argument a picture of 'day one'
October 29th, 2012

Romney's closing argument a picture of 'day one'

(CNN) – Mitt Romney's final message will focus on tasks he hopes to take on his first day in office if elected president, according to an outline of the themes that was provided by a senior Romney adviser.

"Throughout this campaign, Governor Romney talked about his 'Day One, Job One' approach to fixing the American economy. Now, as we close out the final days of this campaign, Governor Romney will return to this theme and use each day to talk about specific steps in his plan that will bring about 'real change on day one' in a Romney presidency," the plan reads, leading into bullet points on specific issues Romney will hit in the eight days before November 6.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

All of the points relate to the economy, which has been Romney's theme since the beginning of his candidacy. Many of the points hark back to the GOP nominee's five point economic plan, which he unveiled at the beginning of August and has been using in nearly every speech since.

"The governor's message in these final days will be an optimistic one, focused on building a brighter future and focused on the big issues that Americans want their president to confront and develop solutions for," the note from the senior Romney adviser read.

The points Romney will hit are:

-Make the case for fundamental tax reform designed to help boost the middle-class and American competitiveness in the global marketplace.

-Talk about his plan to put the country back on track towards a balanced budget.

-Once again lay out his plan to reverse President Obama's cuts to our nation's military through sequestration.

-Describe his plan to expand trade and increase U.S. exports and also level the playing field with China by declaring them a currency manipulator.

-Explain his plan to achieve energy independence for North America.

-Focus attention on a comprehensive effort to fix our nation's schools and raise performance levels.

-Talk about his effort to halt the layers of new regulations, starting with Obamacare, introduced by President Obama that have burdened America's job creators.

Speaking on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, senior Obama adviser David Axelrod said the president's closing message was focused on telling voters why he needs four more years in the Oval Office.

"The president's closing message is exactly what I said before, which is we've made some progress," Axelrod told chief political correspondent Candy Crowley. "We have to build on that progress, and we have to move forward in a way that builds an economy that works for the middle class. What we can't do is go back to the failed policies of the past."

CNN's Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Dnick47

As long as Mitt dodgesw the tax personal tax issue his credibility with me and other voters (I am sure) is near zero. And he will loose Michigan big I predict. Michigangerd remember the fleecing his dad gave us.

October 29, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. LJ

So he is going to "lay out his plan", "talk about his plan", "explain his plan" and "talk about his effort" on day one. Shouldn't he have been doing that all along during the campaign?

October 29, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Clarke

mitt is not dealing with reality, HIS FIRST DAY, SHOULD HE BE ELECTED, He can shout ordered out to everyone he wants like a CEO, The President is not pa CEO and does not have as much power as Mitt may think. Good luck with all that. So in Jaanuary expect 250,000 jobs and the month after that and after that.. Wonder who he will blame when not of it happens.

October 29, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. hope

can you believe romney wants to eliminate fema what it would be like without it today? he wants to privatize and give power to states I know illinois doesn't even have the money to buy napkins, let alone rags!!!

October 29, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Tex71

Romney's one and only goal is more money for Romney. Guys like Mitt have made out like bandits while the rest of us are feeling the squeeze. Do you really think he wants to reverse that trend?

October 29, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. Martin

Governor Bishop Romney has preached so much about the amount of work he's going to do on Day One of his Presidency.

He'll hold China accountable, repeal Obamacare, create 12 million jobs, take on Iran's nuclear program amongst several other things.

My guess is that on Day One of his Presidency (god forbid), Mitt's day will pretty much consist of asking the Secret Service where the bathroom is so he can adjust his magic underpants. I bet most of this wouldn't get done in the first 100 days, let alone "day one".

October 29, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. Clarke

Picture this, Mitt in his magic underwear sitting in the Oval Office, with his sketch etch. Priceless

October 29, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  8. Penny Wright

The Republican Party...come for the misogyny, stay for the racism.

October 29, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. rdeleys

Romney is one of the most amoral people I've ever seen.

October 29, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Delusional Mitt the twit is not qualified to be President.

October 29, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. truth hurts

FactCheck
    Romney was born in Michigan but doesn't live there.... Democrats in Michigan would vote for a drunk car theft
    ---
    Romney's father was the governor of the state. Was he drunk or a car thief?
    ================================================================================
    He was a Republican so Democrats voted for the drunk car theft Democrat that ran against him. Geez, wake up!

October 29, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  12. Thomas

I love Mitt ,
    He's like a car salesman who says , I'll tell you whats under the hood after you buy the car !

October 29, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. Punctus

I'm voting for Romney, because, as a Christian, I know that Jesus would want me support the party that will help the rich at the expense of the poor. Jesus hated them poor folk!

October 29, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. Four and The Door

under the radar
    Good ole Mitt. ... Funny how in the past few months he has said tax reform for the "job creators" to reform for the middle class. He is only worried about the pockets of the rich. And the bottom line of the largest corporations.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Apparently you consider every American who works for a living "rich" because this is who gets a 20% tax cut when Mitt Romney is elected. Every working American. And then actually, the higher income earners get hit much harder by deduction eliminations and limits than middle income earners.

But your last comment doesn't make sense. Why do you not want American companies to be profitable? We really need large, medium and small American companies to be very profitable. This is where economic growth comes from. It creates jobs and revenues for the government. This is what government policies should be encouraging.

October 29, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Kirk

We really need a change. America is in financial peril.

October 29, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  16. Thomas

CNN ,

That photo reminds me of the Fantastic Four comic book .

Kinda !

October 29, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  17. luke,az

Gov. Romney is NOT presidential material. How any women can vote for him is beyond belief. Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock will ensure that Gov Romney won't make it to the White House. By the way, SHOW US YOUR TAXES FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS.

October 29, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Romney's day one will be a day I as a woman would elect to go to hell before I live under a Romney Presidency that will make me have a child after being raped costing me my career and about $300,000.00 .

Of course I will have no choice because he is against birth control and will get rid of Planned Parenthood. I will not be able to make the same amount of money as a man doing the same job Ryan vote against that.

Romney will get rid of Obama Care so I will have to pay for doctors visits and this of course will get rid of mammograms. If the kid is sick I will not be able to transfer my insurance due to pre existing conditions.

Romney will get rid of the mortgage interest so I will not be able to keep my house .

Romney does not want to fund public television ,when the kid grows up Big Bird and Sesame Street will no longer exist.
    Romney does not think Teachers or class size matters in public school so the kid will not get a good education

Romney wants to deregulate banks so I will be stuck paying big bank fees, getting riped off by getting bad loans

Romney would get rid of PELL grants and bring the banks back into college loans so I probably will not be able to avoid college for the kid I had in rape because Romney force me to have the kid.

Romney said he would get rid of i FEMA or federal assistance with natural disasters because he believes it is immoral I will not be able to billed my house to house the kid I had because I got raped.

Romney wants to cash in on my social security benefits so I will be getting a voucher and a good luck letter trying to find insurance in my retirement years if I can retire as he reduces my benefits and make me work untl I am dead

Yes welcome to day one of hell under Romney business as usuall for the rich and death to the middle class and poor.
    Come to think about I want have to go to hell the first day of Romney I will be in hell !

October 29, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Donald Pump

I will give 5 million dollars to the charity of Governor Romney's choice...all he has to do is make his tax returns for the last 10 years available to the American people.

October 29, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. BeverlyNC

Romney is the most characterless, dishonest, no solutions, say anything to anybody to win candidate I have ever seen. I don't get why ANYONE trusts this man. He is destroyed everything he has ever touched to make himself rich. He owns companies in China and claims he will be tough on China? He says he will create 12 M new jobs – where in China? He has outsourced about as many jobs to China as Steve Jobs and Apple. He is closing a Bain plant in IL right now and shipping 1000 American jobs to China. He does not want peace. He has done nothing but talk about attacking Iran for a year. Romney is a FRAUD and will DESTROY this nation when he lets his billionaire and corporate buddies run the White House and stomp all over the rights of We the PEOPLE.

October 29, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. GI Joe

Do you want slimey lyin ryan just raring at the bit to be president when something happens to rmoney?

October 29, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. jamesr1976

Finally our nation will be in capable hands when Mitt Romney becomes president. Excitement and hope is making a comeback and it's not about defeating Obama, that's just a bonus. It's about real change. Mitt has helped us believe in America again and remember who we are. Our best days are ahead of us! Go Romney/Ryan!!

October 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. just sayin

>luke,az
    >Gov. Romney is NOT presidential material

but an inexperienced community orgranizer was in 2008? too funny.

October 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. rs

truth hurts-

So- can you tell us what happened to American Motors if Mr. Romney's father was so good at his job?

October 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  25. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Mitt the twit stumbles to defeat. He's banking on the FoxLies crowd.

October 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |