U.S. rep. loses house in Queens fire during storm
October 30th, 2012

U.S. rep. loses house in Queens fire during storm

(CNN) – Rep. Bob Turner, a first term congressman whose district partly falls in Queens, lost his home Tuesday in a fire that consumed at least 80 homes in the New York borough.

"I am grateful that my family and I are safe after this destructive storm," the Republican congressman said in a statement.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Turner was elected last year in a special election to replace disgraced former Rep. Anthony Weiner and became the first Republican to represent the area in decades.

Shortly after Superstorm Sandy slammed into New York City –knocking down power lines and detonating transformers–the fire spread across a flooded neighborhood of Rockaway Peninsula in the early morning hours Tuesday.

The blaze was fueled by high winds and downed electrical wires, as some 200 firefighters sought to combat the six-alarm blaze in the neighborhood, known as Breezy Point.

"Times like these create tremendous obstacles," Turner said in a statement. "However, by working together we will ensure that the power is restored and our neighborhoods are rebuilt."

Turner represents New York's 9th Congressional District, which covers parts of Brooklyn and Queens. His website says he grew up in Queens and raised his family there with his wife of 48 years.

Due to redistricting, Turner declined running for re-election to the House and instead sought to challenge Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand for her seat. However, he failed to win the Republican nomination in the primary earlier this year, losing it to Manhattan attorney Wendy Long.

– CNN's Deborah Feyerick contributed to this report.

Filed under: House • New York
  1. proudmemberofglobalzero

I am glad no one was injured in this fire. There are too many deaths from Sandy already. I live in Palm Beach County FL, close to the beach. I know what it is to be out of power and your roof blown off. Fire is what scares me. Hope my northern neighbors recover. I am giving to the Red Cross as I do in all disasters. We all should.

October 30, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

Glad no one was hurt.

October 30, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. Pander Bear

Sorry he and his neighbors lost their homes. But wonder how this Republican feels about Romney's desire to defund FEMA?

October 30, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Willie Floyd

Very sorry Mr. Turner, so many memories and items of remembrance can't be replaced. Glad you and your family are safe.
    I made my donation to the Red Cross this afternoon following my presidents' speech.I put it on my credit card and was assured it would reach NJ today.

October 30, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

Donate to the Red Cross....they have a very liberal agenda called "helping people in need without expecting a quid pro quo". It runs counter to the Ayn Rand philosophy of the GOP these days.

October 30, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. petra

I hope that people up North stay safe!
    Have fate, the President cares about you and is doing and putting measures in place to aid all victims-Don't matter is you are a republican, democrat, rich, poor, black, white, yellow, gay, straight-President Obama is the president for all Americans.
    He continues to show the world that he is a great leader. And may I say, if you have had the privilege to travel outside these united states territories; you will find that the President is well respected and admired as a great leader all over the world!
    Great job Mr. President!!!

October 30, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. robert

Sorry Bro. Feel free to step down and take care of your family.

October 30, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. Four and The Door

Pander Bear
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

October 30, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Pat F

@Pander Bear: How nice of you to take advantage of his loss for a cheap political shot.

Also, did you ever consider that FEMA WOULD NOT HAVE HELPED OR PREVENTED THIS FIRE??

October 30, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. Rozzie

Well, tho'I 'm sorry for his loss, I'm sure he'll be grateful to Obama for all the help he's giving via FEMA - the very govt. dept. that Romney wants to cut out - remember him saying that? And, the National guards as well? Hooboy!

October 30, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. don in albuquerque

Four and the Door–What planet are you from?

October 30, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

That fire in Queens, may have been one of the more devastating events, during the landfall strike.

October 30, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. Dixie Independent voter

Sorry you lost your home, Sir, but God meant this to happen.

October 30, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  14. Gurgyl

Change the gear, come to us we rescue unlike 47% coment idiot. Sorry for you.

October 30, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Sniffit

Sorry. No sympathy fro this quarter. Ask him if he'd vote for Mittens' proposal to get rid of FEMA and leave it to the states to figure out their disaster relief.

October 30, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Sniffit

Was it a legitimate fire?

October 30, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Sniffit

"Mitt Romney's idea to increase the capabilities of disaster response to states makes perfect sense. More efficient and quicker response is always better.Sure there are times when the federal government will need to help respond. But not to the extent it is done now. Local control is smarter."

That flies in the face of the absolute, undeniable reality that centralized infrastructure, planning, training, etc., is....just like it is in the business world...always more efficient, most cost effective, and more efficacious. It also flies in the face of the reality that red states that are already so broke and mismanaged that they need more fedearl aid than their citizens pay in federal taxes (i.e., they get back more than they put in) simply would not be capable of financially shouldering that burden.

I'm happy to pay taxes so that people in red states, people I disagree with, people who will vote for Mittens receive disaster aid when in need. I am my brothers' keeper, and THAT is what our founding fathers intended.

October 30, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |