October 31st, 2012

Back on stump, Romney aims for right tone

Miami, Fla. (CNN) – Mitt Romney resumed his normal campaign schedule but aimed to strike a "positive tone" Wednesday as people continued to recover from the aftereffects of Sandy, a senior adviser said.

But in a sign that softer tone only extended to a certain point, adviser Kevin Madden would not answer CNN National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta's question about the president's handling of the weather disaster that has upended both candidates' schedules in the final days of the race.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I believe the response is still going on, so I'm not in a position to qualify the response by the federal government," Madden said after a question about whether Obama was effectively responding to Sandy.

In Tampa, at his first campaign event since the crisis, Romney did not mention President Obama or repeat any of his harshest criticisms of his opponent in a speech where he repeatedly encouraged his supporters to donate to relief efforts for storm victims.

"We come together in times like this and we want to make sure that they have a speedy and quick recovery from their financial and, in many cases, personal loss," Romney said. "Now, people coming together is what's also going to happen, I believe, on Nov. 7."

But hours later, at his second event in Coral Gables, the local politicians who spoke before Romney did not hold back.

After the four killings in Libya, Obama was "nowhere to be found" to answer questions about what happened, thundered Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, who also accused Obama of apologizing for America abroad.

"Remember, and he went to Egypt to apologize, to tell the world that the United States was going to be humbler and mellower and that frankly, we are so sorry for the sacrifices of the Americans for generations," the congressman said.

Carlos Lopez-Cantera, a state representative, offered parents some Halloween advice for convincing their neighbors to support Romney.

"If you run into one of those Obama supporters on your block, go up to them and tell them you are going to redistribute the candy of their children. And see if they still support that policy then!" he joked.

And former Gov. Jeb Bush drew audible chuckles with his smiling jab at the president: "His entire strategy is to blame others, starting with my brother [George W. Bush] of course," he said, to laughter.

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Mitt Romney
  1. TinMT

"We come together in times like this and we want to make sure that they have a speedy and quick recovery from their financial and, in many cases, personal loss,"... Of course the Businessman puts finances first. Nevermind the loss of family and homes. We need them to recover from financial problems first! Yet another demonstration of Mr. Romney's abject failure of empathy. Yes, he made a show of collecting canned goods and clothing in Ohio yesterday. If he or his handlers had a clue, they would know that the Red Cross can't use them, and that logistically, the donations collected would not likely even get to those that need them in a timely manner. Something to do with roads, airports, tunnels, bridges, etc. being closed. Almost reminds me of the 'benevolence' of the US in the 1800s giving blankets to Native Americans on Reservations. "Oh, sorry about the smallpox"...

October 31, 2012 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. robw

lie lie lie thats all romney does.

October 31, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  3. Namejimmy

So his response is to fake a relief effort? Sounds about like what I'd expect from his administration.

October 31, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  4. Patrick in Wisconsin

An entire region of the country is underwater and you Republicans are still whining about Libya? You sicken me. I hope you enjoy your loss on Tuesday.

October 31, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Petra

Imagine Mit is picking up grocery bags of foods, when he and his superpack can purchase "40" foot containers of water and other necessities for the victims. A mere couple of bags of food.
    When ask about the role of FEMA, Mit said the the state should be in charge. Could you imagine what that would have meant to the victims of NY, NJ, PA and other affected states. Mit Romney and his ideas is coming to light-that he is just wrong for America.
    It only reveals that President Obama deserves 4 more years to serve all Americans regardless is they have lost their homes, cars or ... The President cares and with the help of these Unites States of America we will prove to each other and the world that we are a people whom not only talk the talk, but in time of crisis band together for better good of all!!
    4moreyears to President Obama!!

October 31, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  6. lsa

Obama jabs, sneers and takes every stab he can at Romney. Obama feels threatened by Romney; get packed up Obama you are moving out of the White House! This country cannot afford another 4 years to borrowing from China, and borrowing from social security..... We need work in this country....... Go Romney!!!!

October 31, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Jeb Bush: You have some nerve. Blame your Brother? You have ambitions for 2016, don't you. Let me tell you you better change your whole name because nobody with a last name Bush is ever going to be elected for a 1000 years. You should blame your brother first for screwing it up for you.

October 31, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  8. Moe

I worked with the security team at the event and don't let picture fool you, the place was completely empty. At all of the Obama events the place was packed to capacity.

October 31, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. Andrew

so the guy who called for the abolishment of FEMA, cut finding for weather research and staged a photo op pretending to care from four states away is now suddenly Mr. Oh let's take care of the folks who were affected by Sandy.
    WOW!!! Romney may be very wealthy person on the outside but he is absolutely bankrupt in terms of credibility and personal integrity.

October 31, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. Ed FL

The elite draft dodgers would love to become President so that he could be referred to as Commander in chief vice draft dodger elite. If any of the sons of a real MAN George Bush senior had any guts to serve they might have some excuse to brag. It is hard for Cowards to talk about something they know so little about.They have no problem sending other peoples kids off to get killed and maimed then want to take credit for a win.

October 31, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Al Q

I think Jeff Bush should go around the world to find out that the economic impact under his brother Adm. Was devastated, not only to America but to the world.

October 31, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. JG-Texas

The right tone would have been to act like you want to be a leader and meet with Hurricane Sandy victims, leaders, etc. Instead you hid in a swing state holding a so called food drive.

October 31, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. Ordnry1

It's appalling and distasteful that Romney can't even leave children alone but exploit them in his campaign ads to get votes. I never thought he would stoop that low and say or do anything in running his campaign. I totally lost respect for him. He has the gall to paint a picture of him that he cares for children when he is opposed to federal funding to hiring more teachers for our children's education. Vote for Romney and you will be weeping for the next four years. I don't care if he gets elected or not. I can stand on my own two feet and his lousy policies will not affect me. Romney is just an empty shell. Is Romney the best candidate for Republican Party? What a joke!

October 31, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. Annaline

“If you run into one of those Obama supporters on your block, go up to them and tell them you are going to redistribute the candy of their children. And see if they still support that policy then!” he joked.

Umm, isn't that what Halloween is all about already? A few generous households in your neighborhood redistributing their wealth in the form of candy? You don't have to qualify or apply or show ID! Can't get much more Democratic than that!

October 31, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Ron

Denna
    Change you can believe in – but he still took money from Wall Street
    Change you can believe in – but he still claimed executive privilege to pro text his AG even though the "most transparent administration"
    Change you can believe in – yet he failed to pass a budget even when he controlled both houses because he refused to take the political heat that it would require

Change you can believe in -yet he wasted his political capital on his pet legislation rather than focus on the economy

October 31, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  16. carol

If I was mitt I would only answer the question when the president answers where was he when we were being attacked in libya? Mitt will bring us together. I don't understand what is in it for cnn for being so biased. You used to be a good network but now you attract the some kind of people who watch Jerry springer. You yell at Mitt for collecting cans. I am sorry but I had cancer and no one wants my blood now. This is the week before I get paid I have no money. I would gladly give a can of food so people don't starve or a perfectly good winter coat so people don't freeze but they way you act it is not good enough. I think the red cross should refute your comments because if all they want is money than I guess they don't want me to help. I will hand out money to a homeless person because I know 100 percent of the money would go to that person. If all I have are a couple of dollars in change left than that i what I will give. You really should be a shame of yourself. We used to be a good decent country and we used to believe the news people. We believe Water Cronkite or Chet Long but now I can't trust what you are saying. I am sorry you are not trustworthy.

October 31, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  17. Bob Jones

Maxx, Obama has done nothing really except take some photo ops....it's the states and FEMA that do the work, which just was prepared this time. And actually, with Katrina, it was the Dem officials that kept FEMA back and caused the problems.

October 31, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Bob

You can see every time Romney is in public him saying to himself "Pretend to care. Pretend to care." Of course this is the guy that doesn't understand why people think him taking a tax break for a show horse makes him seem out of touch.

October 31, 2012 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. brad

So Mitt, if you get elected are you going to let the big banks and companies like Chex systems dictate people? Track people? Employers to make mininum wage jobs impossiable to get because theres so much blackballing done out there. Do you know? You dont know very much. How is a guy with 1/4 billion dollars going to be able to understand 98% of the people??? Arent your sucesses derived from the miseries of the bottom 15% of people? or should I say 47%? And recently you had Religous orginazations telling people how to vote. Yet, the bible tells me people have choice. You say you dont care about the poor. Yet, the bible is very contrary to this? Actually the bible is very contrary to everything you represent... whos telling the truth???

October 31, 2012 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  20. Ron

I voted for Obama the last time I believed like many others he has proven himself to be no different and perhaps even more of a hypocrite. I have NEVER voted for a Republican in my entire life (64) yet I feel I have no choice. I can vote for Obama or not vote either way its still a vote for Obama and he does not deserve another 4 years. So I will vote for Romney. He's not a flaming right wing fanatic and he does represent some of the principles and qualities that have made this country one of the best places to live. He's not perfect but neither is Obama. Obama had th opportunity to do the right thing but did not. Don't blame the house of rep for blocking his programs because for 2 years he had free hand and just pursued his pet agenda.

October 31, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  21. Ed

I love how the liberals second guess what Mitt Romney would do as President, by trying to imply that FEMA would not exist!!
    What a load of Horse Dung!! Romney has already shown as much, if not more compassion than Obama. This is just a lull in the storm if Obama and his So-Called Health care reform kicks in. You wait and see, when an appointed board of folks, that he appoints, begins to decide who gets healthcare and when. When the elderly and the indigent are waiting in line, to see who gets medical attention and who doesn't!!

October 31, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  22. Maria Rivera-Carvalho

The "right tone" is President Obama's. We all know that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery". Thank you, Mr. Romney for your candit change of attitude although it will change tomorrow. We know we have a great president and we intend to keep him.

October 31, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  23. Namerandy

George w bush now lets see he is the one they don't even mention

October 31, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  24. Jane

Ohio Independents for Romney

October 31, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  25. AgrippaMT

The Romney campaign knows it is already dead, and it is already starting to smell. Take the little that remains and bury it out there on one of the damaged beaches in New Hampshire were Romney and little Annie live because taxes are lower there than in Massachusetts where Mittens made all his ill gotten gains.

October 31, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |