Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Alyarby

I needed to start today off with a good laugh. Thanks, Joe!

November 1, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Dennis

How can we take this guy seriously? He doesn't know what year it is, And he can't remember who he is canpaigning with. What will he be 102 in 2016?

November 1, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  3. BlackJack

Biden has run in Democratic primaries three times and has won about 0.16% of the primary vote. Having served as Obama's right hand man for 4 disastrous years will up his primary total to 0.32% in 2016.

November 1, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. Anne

Biden as VP is one serious reason to not vote Obama. What a joke! there is no surprise things are going so bad under this administration.

November 1, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. Enough Romney. I'm voting President Obama.

Enough Romney. I'm voting for President Obama.

November 1, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  6. Mark

Does he seriously think anyone, whether dem, liberal, repub, etc. would vote for him? Seriously?

November 1, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  7. Corey

Joey B. can always take a comedy tour in January, cos he sure is funny!

November 1, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. UFC iTard

LOL!!! I'm willing risk ANY stakes that I won't.
    Even if there were a candidate that I really really REALLY want to be President, the odds of me going out of my way to cast a vote would probably worse than 7 to 1.

November 1, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. TPF

By 2016 Biden won't be able to remember his name, he has some type of dementia.

November 1, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  10. Beal

Can you imagine Slow Joe as President? It’s horrifying. He is the perfect Democratic politician in that he will say and do anything for a vote but he is not too bright. If there is anything worse than possibly four more years of the Narcissist and Chief it would be four years of Biden thereafter. We might have to go back to Biblical times to replicate the years of turmoil that would bring.

November 1, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  11. hockey22

36 years in the senate, there is the problem right there!!

November 1, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |