Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. GOP = Greed Over People!

Only if Hillary doesn't run Uncle Joey.

October 31, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Jerry

He's delusional! Isn't he?!

October 31, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Sniffit

"Only if Hillary doesn't run Uncle Joey."

She's not. Get over it.

Biden/Warren 2016

October 31, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. RomneySmellsLikeLies

I like Joe and all, but I want Clinton to run.

October 31, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. rla

Wow would that statement cause everyone to vote against Obama and negate that possibility!

October 31, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. brianbks

I think I'd vote for just about any other democrat congressman/governor before I'd vote for Biden to be in control of the big red button.

October 31, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. heather

joe will tell you like it is however if hillary runs she has my vote

October 31, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Ind.

I'd literally vote for my dead dog first.

October 31, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Muzak

I second that.

October 31, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. The South Will Never Die

Please Biden, oh please, run.

October 31, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Bill

I'd vote for Palin before I'd vote for Biden.

And Palin was the reason I voted for Obama in 2008.

October 31, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Romney Wants To Get Rid Of FEMA

I'll be voting for Hillary. Sorry Joe.

October 31, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Dom

I'm a Democrat and I would probably look elsewhere before going with Joe.

October 31, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  14. zemo

2 big presidential campaign failures, both a complete embarrassment and waste of time (never garnering more than 3% of the primary vote in his own party's bid for the nomination), and being forced out in shame in '88 for lying and plagiarizing and even having to admit having plagiarized in law school as well as on the campaign trail. one might think that would save us from having to see this man's preposterous gape ever again. instead, he actually thinks he should still be president. the catalog of ridiculous quotes grows every day. Obama must have owed him a HUGE favor (like Joe's son arresting Larry Sinclair in 2008).

October 31, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Tom

No, Plugs, I will NEVER vote for you.

Ps: There is no greed like liberal greed for other peoples' money.

October 31, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Fair is Fair

Hey Buffoon... I wouldn't vote for you for latrine inspector.

October 31, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Doedadd Dhaddie

There is no way the idiot Biden will ever be elected President.

October 31, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. john

I think Joe would make a great President, if what you want is someone who will speak condescendingly to the other party, laugh off their ideas, and act as if they don't know anything. Yep, if partisan politics and more roadblocks is what we want, let's all vote for Joe.

October 31, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. Virgil

LOL = Liberals Only Laughable

You guys got nothin' Go pick up your last welfare check.

October 31, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Ryan Healey

It is no secret that Hillary Clinton will run in 2016 (Bill is practically shoving her into the race) and Joe Biden won't be running. This comment is a fun way for Joe to play with the media. It worked.

October 31, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. Expat American

Not even thinking about 2016...Must get through next Tuesday first. Mon Dieu!

October 31, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Joe

Please Joe, run for POTUS. We need a comedian in the W.H.

October 31, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. lovemitt

Uncle Joe for President of the Demented Hills sanatorium, he will be the president of the owners association there. LOL

October 31, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. DOUG RISCH

Good old delusional Joe. He'd be 73 by that time and more dementia will already have set in. Romney is going to win this election and again in 2016 so why waste time speculating about something that seemingly is futile to say the least?

October 31, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. C.

Crazy Joe???? I guess if Obama is reelected it won't matter much who is pres in 2016. There won't be anything left for Joe to destroy or ruin

October 31, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |