Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012
1 year ago

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Really?

Sure, and Alan Grayson (or Michael Moore) can be his sidekick

October 31, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. truth hurts

Looks like the Democrats are already planning to run against President Romney in 2016. Too funny. BTW, Biden won't be running. He's already too senile for the job. I can't imagine how nuts he'll be in 2016! Too scary.

October 31, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Critical Thinking

Joe, please run, I could use the laughs.

October 31, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Larry

Total insanity is Joe "the smuck" Biden. He is the laughing stock of demofascist movement.

October 31, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Me IN HOUSTON

i LIKE JOE
    I realize Hillary is not going to run
    BUT WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF SHE DID?!?!
    DEMOCRATS 2016

October 31, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Ajay

oh boy! can we just vote for 2016 also now itself? just to ensure this disaster again is not even an option in 4 years?!

October 31, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Bill

Sounds about right... A random Republican can out debate Joe.

October 31, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Steve

I would vote for a six year old kindergarten student before I would vote for Biden. Oh wait I think he is a six year old kindergarten student, forget it, the dead dog gets my vote.

October 31, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Bob

If you would vote for Palin over Biden and you voted for Obama in 2008, you voted for Biden over Palin.

October 31, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Overby

He's already on the wrong side of the dementia scale...what the heck is he going to be like in another 4 years?

October 31, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Mete Krop

Ya, Joe can make a great US president. Even we had G.W. Bush as our president. I can't wait to see Joe running in year 2012.

October 31, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Lorna

He was kidding people....just enough to get some of you all worked up apparently...geez! Calm down......

October 31, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Videl

I refuse to vote for any democrat or republican... period. Independant all the way!

October 31, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Jim

No, I will not vote for you in 2016, but I may be on your jury in 2013.

October 31, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. Mete Krop

I mean 2016.

October 31, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. MrNiceGuy

The only thing Biden would get my vote for is Village Idiot.

October 31, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. dixie

Now, that is hilarious! Mr. Foot in the Mouth

October 31, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. ShawnDH

I do love me some Joe Biden...he has been a solid and reliable VP and it was spectacular to watch him thrash Paul Ryan in the debate. BUT sorry Joe, I'm all in for Hillary 2016.

October 31, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. APatriot1

Right. Biden versus Christie. The battle of the big mouths.

October 31, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. ShawnDH

Bill whined: "Sounds about right... A random Republican can out debate Joe."
    ________________

Then why did Joe Biden destroy GOP wonderboy & weenie in a big boy suit Paul Ryan? Hmmmmm. It was EPIC.

October 31, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. TimO7893

You folks taking bad about Biden probably do not know anything about him, except for his few gaffes and the debate. Ryan lied during the entire debate, so was Biden supposed to keep a straight face while Ryan lies to the American people that Biden loves?

October 31, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. ShawnDH

Jim desperately deflected: "No, I will not vote for you in 2016, but I may be on your jury in 2013."\
    _________________

For what crime, precisely? Be specific. Thanks.

October 31, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Anonymous

god help us

October 31, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Jeff

Let's not forget that he already ran for president in 1988 and had to withdraw in shame for plagiarism and fabrications.

October 31, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Nick

That Joe, he's a gaffe, I mean laugh, a minute.

And seriously, half the country wants this guy one heartbeat away from the Presidency? Choosing him as a running mate proves Obama is an incompetent leader, as leadership starts by making the right choices to aid the decision-making process. If Biden floated his resume across my desk I'd laugh and file it.

October 31, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |