Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. bryanfred

The even better joke was the "when your insurance rates go down" howler. Great stuff!

October 31, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Chris

Sorry, like you Joe, yet Vice Presidents have a terrible track record at moving up to the top job. I would vote for Mr. Biden, yet it won't happen, 12 years on a ticket is too much. sorry, stop dreaming. Voter fatigue. (and if you are for gay marriage, you are not Catholic, and to Mr. Reid of Nevada, if you are for gay marriage, you are not Mormon, and to Mr. Schumer of New York, if you are for gay marriage you are not Jewish, and the same to Mr. Clinton of Arkansas, you are not Baptist.) Let's just be honest here.

October 31, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Harry Masters

Biden , you already have my vote for "Clown of the Year"

October 31, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Critical Thinking

I'm impressed that he know that the next election would be in 2016 vs. 2061.

October 31, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Michigan patriot

God forbid!! He is the worst of the worst, hard to believe he is the vice-president. He is a shame to this country, just like Mr. O.

October 31, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. NoFlipFlop

Looks like Democrats know after Obama's re-election, first four years of hard work will start to bear fruit - a strong economic and job recovery and, because of this, there is no chance for Republicans in 2016. I don't blame Biden wants to be president by then. Either Hilary Clinton or Joe Biden will continue to build strong middle class and strong US economy and make us the envy of the world again.

October 31, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Graham Krueger

Well, if Clinton doesn't want it, he is the heir apparent. I'm not sure if he'd be able to win, but I'd love to work for a real Democrat again. I've discussed his potential here

October 31, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. truth hurts

Crazy Joe will be running for President of the Delaware Home for the Totally Delusional. He is absolutely the most qualified candidate in the country.

October 31, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Holy cow. I just thought the crazy uncle was a act.

October 31, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. johnaspecial

God help us if we become stupid enough to vote this silly idiot into office.

October 31, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. MT

This guy is DOOSH!

October 31, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Orchid333

Wow, so many Joe haters! You know what? I'm sticking to the "informed voter" prospect and making my judgements about who will be the next Democratic and Republican nominee when the time comes. Until then, Obama gets my vote. He got us out of the mess George left us in, and I'm determined to let him finish the job he started.

October 31, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. suznaz

Wow, some of y'all are really...let's say "silly". Pounce on every word Joe says but totally ignore nine out of ten Romney/Ryan say...when he's joking and they're deadly serious. Geesh.

October 31, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. IvotedearlyforObama

I don't care who runs, I'll never vote for a Republican.

October 31, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. cbp

Good grief! After all these years the press still does not get Mr. Biden's sense of humor. He did not make a big speech or talk about it at a campaign stop. He talked to one woman. CNN must be hard up for news.

October 31, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Stretchy Pants

He's just looking at the latest group of Republicans that have tried to run for President, and is thinking, "Shoot, even I could win against these guys!"

October 31, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. Convicted Plagiarist

"TimO7893 You folks taking bad about Biden probably do not know anything about him"

No Tim. Most of us know more about "Lying Joe" Biden the habitual plagiarist. Are you aware that plagiarism was responsible for his Law degree? Were you born yet when he plagiarised a speech when he ran against Slick Willie?

Do you seriously believe this jackal is fit for anything more than being Chrissy Matthew's new side kick?

Give is a rest. Biden is a tool.

October 31, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. Anonymous

I'm sorry but did you say that rates were going down? Our rates have continued to climb in the past two years in preparation for "Obamacare" and the insurance company representative has even sited this as the reason! What used to be wonderful coverage is now starting to become unaffordable because of your administrations plan. What's with that?!

October 31, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. Frank

I sure hope you decides to run in 2016. By my calculations things should be pretty horrible then and we probably would enjoy some much needed laughs from his constant flow of gaffes. Maybe he and Palin could team up and create the dream team. Dumb and dumber. LOL

October 31, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Nate

Well stranger things have happened for the dems. I NEVER thought Hillary would have had a shot and she still might. Maybe they will really show case their talent and have a Biden Pelosi ticket. LOL.

October 31, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Pat F

@ShawnDH: You're living in a dream world. On what planet did Mr. Marlarky demolish Ryan? On the planet of the old toots yelling at the young whipper-snappers to get off their lawns? Ryan was polite to a clearly befuddled Biden.

October 31, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. my

Oh..I will turn into conservative radio shows every day if Joe runs and wins in 2016.. They need to hire permanent doctors in those radio stations as lot of those hosts will get high blood pressure periodically..Some of them already get it becoz of Obama..

October 31, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"Then why did Joe Biden destroy GOP wonderboy & weenie in a big boy suit Paul Ryan? Hmmmmm. It was EPIC."

Indeed.

RELEASE THE BIDEN!!!!

And we did...all over Kid Ego's face.

October 31, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. are122

"Joe would make a great president," she added. <~~~ Yeah, bin Laden thought so too! The egotistical dope couldn't drive a city bus successfully.

October 31, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. Dom

I think all the gaffes that would be sure to come out of his mouth if he were Pres, would be reason enough not to vote for him. We wouldn’t want the world to laugh at our leader like the world did at Silvio Berlusconi.

October 31, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |