Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012
1 year ago

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Guest

Biden 2016? Ahahahahahahahahahaha!

This guy's dumber than Palin. You guys saying you'll vote for him no matter who may be running against him are evidence that the Electoral College is still necessary.

October 31, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. msgoodytwo

I.n response to Guy who SD he woiild vote for his dead dog. He probably. Voted. For. Romnet.(

October 31, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. abantz

Romney said "I will run in 2016...and so will I"

October 31, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. teesoepke

biden just keeps showing how out of touch with reality he is. i'd as soon vote for stalin or hitler.

October 31, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Overby

I know what Biden could easily win...after seeing that hideous grin during the VP debate when he made such an obnoxious fool out of himself, I realized he could easily win 'The Joker" role in the next Batman movie....

October 31, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. sarasota resident

Nobody cares or even knew Joe was in town. This election Florida will be a red state. We have felt enough of the black and blue.

October 31, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. some chick

NEVER again, EVER vote for a republican again....

Ugh made that mistake 25 years ago. Too many lies and too corupt.

October 31, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Tonie

Sorry Joe, you can't count to 4....no way you can be Pres. "This election is about one 3 letter word....J-O-B-S" ~ Joe Bidon

October 31, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Arch Stanton

The more Republican replies I read, the more determined I get to vote for Democrats. You folks are borderline-illiterate, desperately un-clever, and shouldn't be rewarded by being put in charge of a great country like the United States. Thanks for reminding me, I'll be voting a straight Dem ticket this time.

October 31, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Expat American

I don’t think Vice President Biden will run in 2016.

This being said, come next Tuesday, do you want Vice President Biden a heartbeat away or Ryan?

Ryan will be too preoccupied to answer the red phone at 3am.

Ryan will be too busy licking his chops at the prospect of playing prison warden to rape victims who he can’t wait to incarcerate.

October 31, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. Previously a Democrat

That's a joke right...?!

Biden is the greatest life insurance policy a president could ever have. Can you imagine president Biden.. Bwahahahahaha!
    He doesn't even know where he is half the time. Good lord !!

October 31, 2012 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Glenn Doty

Assuming an Obama victory (which looks extremely probable), it's likely that the democrat that runs in 2016 will be unstoppable.

But I don't believe Biden will get that vote. He is genuine, and sincere... and completely unexciting except in cases where he puts his foot in his mouth.

If Hillary runs she is a lock, but if she doesn't then I expect that a female dem – preferably a former governor – will get the nod. Beverly Perdue would probably be the safest bet (locks NC, which makes the map impossible for the republican challenger), but there are several others that would show strong promise.

It will not – however – be Biden. He's a good man, but he's a terrible campaigner.

October 31, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Gurgyl

I will–joe, hit hard on rethuglicans...

October 31, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. Vote 2012

votedearlyforObama said I don't care who runs, I'll never vote for a Republican. I totally agree with you.

October 31, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. Vote 2012

Really?
    Sure, and Alan Grayson (or Michael Moore) can be his sidekick

Yes Really? The Republican candidates was a very amusing clown show and your party chose not only a clown as candidate but a lying flip flopping clown. Clinton/Biden 2016

October 31, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. bipartisan77

2016? No, you and Hillary Rodham Clinton lost your shot after the Benghazi cover-up. Blatant liars. Well, Biden never had a shot anyway, but Hillary had a great one, however, not anymore.

October 31, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Ready

Hey it's 'full load' Joe!

October 31, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Padraig

I am sure the leaders of the Democratic party realize that this is a very bad idea and behind closed doors would let him know. The only way I see them going forward with Biden is if they absolutely had no one else.

October 31, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Vote 2012

HA you're really confused, your comment sounds like your boys Rommey Ryan and the entire republican conservative teabaggers. ROLOL

Jeff Let's not forget that he already ran for president in 1988 and had to withdraw in shame for plagiarism and fabrications.

October 31, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. panictime

Good ole' Crazy Joe. He's like the Uncle that nobody likes to talk about at the family reunion.

October 31, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Dan

lLarry...You are the only "smuck"(try schmuck if you want to appear less like one) that I see here since no-one goose-steps better than the true neo-nazis;the extreme right repubs.Enough said.

October 31, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. FUBAR

Not even democrats are stupid enough to vote for Biden.....maybe some in Minnesota.

October 31, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  23. Donkey Party

As expected, the right-wing roaches come scurrying out from under their dumpsters to spew their toxic hate. So predictable, but it's still fun to see them in a frenzy.

October 31, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. ClarasBeau

I instictively like Joe, but personally, I just don't see him as anything but an "emergency President".

October 31, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. ONLY 6 more days until Obama is RE-ELECTED

You Repuglicants are REALLY trying to take this FEMA effort and turn it into a NEGATIVE? America is so much worse off ever since the right wing media ("Entertainment") created the cancer of modern-day conservatism, better known as the Tea Party. It's a breed of people who live in MY COUNTRY who happen to HATE my country. I wish all you righty wackos in the media and your even stupider supporters would move to a country you actually like.

October 31, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |